Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has an e-reader? (advice for buying one)

Options
  • 24-07-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an e-Reader at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice?

Are there models that I should avoid, features I should look for?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

You mightn't like what I have to say, but don't get one.

Must our generation digitalise absolutely everything? Its getting to the stage where the timeless book will be nothing but an old memory stored in crumbling museum buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Ive never tried one myself, and I would be initially skeptical although lots of people swear by them.

At the end of the day theres nothing better than waking up in morning and admiring your continually growing book collection on the shelf :p

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

One nice option is to get an ipod touch or an iphone and download Stanza from the app store.

Its nice for reading, you can download old classics and newish books from online shops. You can adjust the font size and brightness and its easy enough on battery life. Plus you have a music, movie player, internet browser as well, maybe even a phone if you can afford the iphone.

I use it alot. I would recomend it. I can't say how that option compares with any proper e readers as i've never owned one.

I still prefer normal books though, its just a handy space saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I love my Sony 505. I love the convenience of being able to take 100's of books with me when I'm traveling and have them weigh no more than 500g.

I think its a fine device, nice screen, nice interface.

My main gripes though are -
    (1) Delicate Screen
    (2) Some zoom issues on certain formats (PDF mostly)
    (3) No backlight, only a problem if you read in the dark I suppose
    (4) Sometimes can be a little slow changing pages

There are tons of websites online for free books too if your interested in the classics. It can be difficult to get new releases in E-format and they are quite expensive.

However as with all digital media there are other ways to obtain your books other than paying full whack for them.

c - 13 wrote: »
    I love my Sony 505. I love the convenience of being able to take 100's of books with me when I'm traveling and have them weigh no more than 500g.

Ah, but what about talking 5 massive tomes with you in a backpack? It might weigh more, but at least you have something substantial in your hands...

I'm fearing that its going to become something eccentric to pick up a book and read it outright. You're going to need some sort of gadget to make sure you're reading it properly. Next thing we know it, all books will be replaced with audiobooks with the swear words censored for good effect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

lots of dead on stuff about the sony e-reader

I got one about a month ago, and agree with just about everything you said there. the only two things I find a problem are the PDF size thing - I read a lot of technical/academic articles formatted for A4 which do not translate well, and the difficulty in getting new releases.

Other than that I love the device. I have a lot of books and there's just no space any more. I will continue to get large format (photography etc) books in print, but for paperbacks, the e-reader will do nicely.

Now, if I could find a way to get newspaper/magazine subs on it I'd be extremely happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ScribesQuill

The Minister, if you buy an Amazon Kindle just be aware that it doesn't support PDF files (in case you already have a load of these on your current computer. Also, Amazon recently accessed Kindles that were set to 'dial home' and deleted some books that people had bought (for a legitimate reason and refunded the cost to users). However, that's something to bear in mind.
    (3) No backlight, only a problem if you read in the dark I suppose.
    c-13, If this is the regular Sony e-reader then I'm sure you can buy a light that is shaped like a pen and sits in the centre of the leather spine. A friend of mine got this for her Sony e-reader.

bedlam wrote: »
    Why on earth would you want to lug around 5 massive tomes when travelling? :).

What people seem to miss is it's not the format a book is presented in that's important but the contents that lie with in. Whether it's the feel of paper, the smell of a book or ease of use of an ereader that someone likes, the contents within should be immersive enough that they quickly forget about the method of presentation and lose themselves in the story.

You're forgetting snob value though :p How on earth can one possibly read War and Peace on an e-reader? It is important to read seminal texts in as public a place as possible, with as pretentious a posture as possible. With the e-reader... Well, you might as well be reading Ian McEwan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The Minister, if you buy an Amazon Kindle just be aware that it doesn't support PDF files (in case you already have a load of these on your current computer.
    Thanks for telling me that, I've been planning to read a load of stuff I downloaded and some of that would be PDF.

Thats a big issue for me.

Advertisement