Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Float Tube/Waders/Boots/Fins

• 24-07-2009 12:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a float tube. It'll be for fairly occasional use, just a few times a year, I've done a bit of research and I've pretty much settled on a Shakespeare Expedition, they seem like a good compromise between low price and good quality/safety, unless someone knows something better in the same kind of price range? (I know obviously there are much better tubes out there, but since I'm only planning on using this occasionally it makes sense to stay pretty cheap atm and I can look at more expensive ones down the line if needed)

To go along with it, I'm going to need some waders (the €15 euro rubber lidl ones I have probably wouldn't be great :)) and fins. Can anyone recommend suitable waders and fins? I believe it's possible to get either boot foot waders and attach fins onto the boot, or stocking foot waders so you can put on either fins or boots as needed, is the latter option better, I'd imagine fins stuck on outside boots would be a little less stable, but could be totally wrong?

Thanks,
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

I use a Guide drifter platoon,Ron Thompson neoprene bootfoot waders and Ron Thompson fins. I use a 150 netwons life vest!I also bought a small kayack anckor on e-bay (very useful):D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Steve:
    Get stocking foot chest waders. The fins are a better fit with them, and you can apply far more power with tight fitting fins.
    Waist high waders may appear to be ok but you will get a wet back if you use those, due to "water damp creep" in the jacket lining.
    You can get outsized tennis shoes if you want the dual use of being able to wade rivers with stockingfoot waders.

5mm neoprene is best, 4mm is passable, but has 20% less gluing area on every seam and will have a shorter life. The cheaper 3mm are a summer wader and neither warm enough for our climate, nor durable enough ... you would be better off with breathables and fleece and neoprene booties on the feet, than with 3mm.
    Lidl have a scuba fin deal right now, so you can pcik up your fins there this week.

BTW budget for a buoyancy jacket too. If you choose one that goes under the wading jacket you might even wear it! The automatic inflate type are not suitable, either a manual inflate one or a fly-waistcoat type are handier.

If it's for occasional use I have a round Bucks Bag for €45 that was got as a 2nd "guest tube". One guest tube seems to do all I need, and it's unused. But the Expedition is a good design tube.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

coolwings wrote: »
    Steve:
    Get stocking foot chest waders. The fins are a better fit with them, and you can apply far more power with tight fitting fins.
    Waist high waders may appear to be ok but you will get a wet back if you use those, due to "water damp creep" in the jacket lining.
    You can get outsized tennis shoes if you want the dual use of being able to wade rivers with stockingfoot waders.

5mm neoprene is best, 4mm is passable, but has 20% less gluing area on every seam and will have a shorter life. The cheaper 3mm are a summer wader and neither warm enough for our climate, nor durable enough ... you would be better off with breathables and fleece and neoprene booties on the feet, than with 3mm.
    Lidl have a scuba fin deal right now, so you can pcik up your fins there this week.

BTW budget for a buoyancy jacket too. If you choose one that goes under the wading jacket you might even wear it! The automatic inflate type are not suitable, either a manual inflate one or a fly-waistcoat type are handier.

If it's for occasional use I have a round Bucks Bag for €45 that was got as a 2nd "guest tube". One guest tube seems to do all I need, and it's unused. But the Expedition is a good design tube.

Hope this helps.

damn your hide coolwings, if you are selling a tube i'll take it for 50 bucks plus 5 flies.
    however if stevenmu wants it then its only fair that he gets first dibs.

just out of ignorance, why don't fly hooks puncture the tubes? :o

edit: the tube floating site in your sig is great, with a lot of future promise to it cw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thanks for the replies guys.

I hadn't thought of an anchor, that seems like a nifty idea.

And thanks for the offer of the tube Coolwings, unfortunately my car committed suicide over the weekend which puts my toy budget on hold until I can work out what it'll cost to repair/replace, so if you want to offer it to Doc I'm happy to relinquish dibs :)

(luckily car died on the way back from a fishing trip, not on the way there :pac:)

Advertisement