Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry gets two life sentences for rape of student

Options
  • 24-07-2009 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

Gerard Barry is now serving two life sentences, what a scumbag, he shouldnt be let out again ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

The longer that evil b....rd is off the streets the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

now clear that this guy can never be free..the mystery of evil in action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

how long is a life sentence? the guy should be neutered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

teresa2008 wrote: »
    how long is a life sentence?

The average is about 11 years (according to most recent stats), however in this case it is highly likely (and I sincerely hope) that this sub-human animal will never see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Gerard Barry is now serving two life sentences, what a scumbag, he shouldnt be let out again ever

I think its now 3 life sentences, one for the murder of Manuela Riedo and 2 for the rape of the French student. Just a pity they're not consecutive.
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/barry-gets-two-life-sentences-for-rape-of-student-1839396.html
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The average is about 11 years (according to most recent stats), however in this case it is highly likely (and I sincerely hope) that this sub-human animal will never see the light of day.

I think I read recently its more like 18 years average, although parole is at the discretion of the Minister for Justice, so hopefully he will be a very old man by the time he gets out, if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I think its now 3 life sentences, one for the murder of Manuela Riedo and 2 for the rape of the French student. Just a pity they're not consecutive.
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/barry-gets-two-life-sentences-for-rape-of-student-1839396.html

Thanks Zzippy, I was just about to ask that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

What's wrong is that the sentence starts today and not at the end of his sentence for the murder of Maneula. Two unrelated crimes and he gets to serve sentences for both in paralell, that is completely wrong.
    He sentenced Gerald Barry to a life sentence on counts one and two of oral and anal rape, both life sentences to run concurrently and to run from today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What's wrong is that the sentence starts today and not at the end of his sentence for the murder of Maneula. Two unrelated crimes and he gets to serve sentences for both in paralell, that is completely wrong.

It's absolute bull**** if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It's absolute bull**** if you ask me.
    Same for everything, sentences run concurrently for the most part. Joke nation.
    how long is a life sentence? the guy should be neutered
    the guy should be executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

Is it not a bit futile giving him a concurrent life sentence when he is already serving a life sentence? what purpose does it serve?

Should it not be consecutive so that he would never see the light of day again!

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    I think I read recently its more like 18 years average, although parole is at the discretion of the Minister for Justice, so hopefully he will be a very old man by the time he gets out, if ever.

Off the top of my head I think the most recent Probation Service figures put the average life sentence at 11 and three quater years. I don't think there has been any time in the last thirty years where the average was above 13. However, these are only mean figures with some prisoners never getting out and some serving only very short sentences.

I happened to be in court this morning when sentencing was passed. The fu*ker didn't even bat an eyelid. Pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

There is something seriously seriously wrong with our criminal justice system that resulted in him being free to walk the streets and commit murder after being caught for the rape.

Surely there should be an investigation into how it is that he was let out having committed such a crime and to ensure that a similar situation would not occur again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/dec/28/life-now-nears-life/

17 years according to the Prison Service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Its guys like this that would tell you , bring back the Hangmans Noose. This guy souldnt be let near society again. Animal. Many people come from tough backgrounds, hardships. but they dont all turn into animals like this guy. What hes done to those girls and what hes done to the reputation of ireland and galway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

Is there anyone on the board who can tell us why prison sentences are run concurrently so often?

No wonder that fucker didn't bat an eyelid - today's sentence makes no difference to his time in jail.

Seriously, he is an unbelievable danger to society, and I would be very afraid if I heard he was being let out in 11 years time. This is not a 'revenge fantasy' that you read so much on AH, but he should never be let back into society.

You'd wonder what the mother of an animal like that thinks of him, or would she be just as crazy if she brought him up and he turned out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

no doubt the fascists are going to lock this thread, so i'll say this very quickly: if he gets out, i'll personally kill the ****er myself. slowly and painfully

no doubt the fascists are going to lock this thread, so i'll say this very quickly: if he gets out, i'll personally kill the ****er myself. slowly and painfully

Good luck with that. He's a total mentalist. If he gets out I'll be avoiding him at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It's a total joke that the sentences are carried out concurrently. That lad should be locked up for life (not 13 or 17 years or whatever it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Every citizen in Galway should take to the streets marching if that w**ker ever gets to roam free again:mad:

Bloody disgraceful that it would even be a remote possibility that after what he did to those poor students, he could one day be a free man......

FFS, we put dogs down when they attack people. The dog cannot make choices like a human can. He's worse than a dog. He's sub-human, a stain on the map of creation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Sconsey wrote: »
    It's a total joke that the sentences are carried out concurrently. That lad should be locked up for life (not 13 or 17 years or whatever it is).

I can't believe that in 13 years my now 10 year old daughter may be attending GMIT and up the road in Mervue an animal of Barry's nature coould be walking the street beside her.....

IT'S NOT RIGHT:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Every citizen in Galway should take to the streets marching if that w**ker ever gets to roam free again:mad:

Bloody disgraceful that it would even be a remote possibility that after what he did to those poor students, he could one day be a free man......

FFS, we put dogs down when they attack people. The dog cannot make choices like a human can. He's worse than a dog. He's sub-human, a stain on the map of creation

couldn't agree more. i think the protesting should start now.

+ 1,000,000,000

I'll be there if it ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

To be honest the justice system in this country is a joke! life should mean life, we should look for a stronger penal system and not the half arsed system we have!

Is there anyone on the board who can tell us why prison sentences are run concurrently so often?

Prison sentences run concurrently when the crimes result from one / same incident. An example would be a rape where the rapist then murdered the victim. They may receive x years for rape and x years for murder, but the sentences will run concurrently because both crimes happened during the same incident. This is my understanding, so I do not see why this waste of a person gets to serve this new sentence at the same time as he is serving a sentence for an un-related crime.

This waste of a person has no use or purpose whatsoever, and yet he is living the life in jail putting meat on his scrawny frame so that he can come out and do the same again.

I hope this is true, quote from the Irish Times:
    The life sentence given for the rape, coupled with the life sentence he is already serving for murder, means Barry could spend the rest of his life in jail.

Maybe, a life sentence means that the person will be up before a review board after X amount of years, and often they are let out, which is why a life sentence is often taking as meaning X years. I cannot see this waste ever passing any review board, I so f##king hope.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0724/breaking35.htm

This waste of a person has no use or purpose whatsoever, and yet he is living the life in jail putting meat on his scrawny frame so that he can come out and do the same again.

Not only that, but he's already killed one person, has been involved somehow in another killing, and destroyed that poor French student's life. He'd more than likely re-offend if he was released, so he's a danger to society.

My question is, how do we get tougher sentences? What can the average Joe Soap do about that? And while in prison, can the prisoners be made to smash rocks or something else equally tough and boring. Or at least do something useful....whatever that would be though, I don't know. I doubt they'd make/produce anything of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Spare a thought for the pensioner he blinded.. There's a post\thread somewhere on boards.ie, the event was totally spineless. Not to mention being linked to another man's death.

My question is, how do we get tougher sentences? What can the average Joe Soap do about that? And while in prison, can the prisoners be made to smash rocks or something else equally tough and boring. Or at least do something useful....whatever that would be though, I don't know. I doubt they'd make/produce anything of quality.

I couldn't agree more. The average cost of keeping a prisoner in Mountjoy for a year is approx €90k. Prisoners should be made earn their keep and actually contribute something to society during thier incarceration. To me, Sheriff Joe Arpaio's approach makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Drove past the gaa pitch in mervue today where it happened, made me sick to my stomach. As has been said, a good reason for the death penalty to be brought back. We all know the justice system is flawed, a joke alot of the time but this c*nt must not be given the oppurtunity to do this again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

So he could have been given 30 life sentences today for doing it to a load of girls.... and it'd just be the same time behind bars at the end of the day??

We've something very wrong with the system.

Also interesting that he's getting a heavier sentence for the rape than the murder. Just saw herethat he was involved with the murder of Tipp man Colm Phelan in Eyre Square in '96 as well.

He probably realised that he hasn't going to get away with the rape - so murdering Manuela might not have been much of a big deal for him as it wouldn't increase his jail time by a day. Buy one get as many more as you want for free? :mad: What a mess of a system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement