Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry gets two life sentences for rape of student

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

A life sentence in Ireland is actually life. However, the Minister for Justice can release you on licence, but the sentence can be re-activated at any point.

Take these guys for example, in for 30 years (they were caught in Salthill in the 70s ... bad, bad fcukers):

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murderous-sex-predator-in-coma-on-life-support-1591625.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

soundbyte wrote: »
    A life sentence in Ireland is actually life. However, the Minister for Justice can release you on licence, but the sentence can be re-activated at any point.

Yes, and I would imagine that having been sentenced three times to life imprisonment would mean a very slim chance of getting out. If the Minister for Justice decides it's a good idea to let him out, there'll be absolute war.

Seemingly he's beginning to show a bit of remorse for what he did. Apparently he "is realising the impact his actions have had on his victims". I think that's according to his solicitor, but don't quote me on that. My mother told me that this morning but not sure where she heard so I could be mistaken.

But if that's the case, trying to set the wheels in motion for early release already, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Being discussed on Today FM now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

no doubt the fascists are going to lock this thread, so i'll say this very quickly: if he gets out, i'll personally kill the ****er myself. slowly and painfully

You will of course, good man yourself, you do that ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Disgraceful and very disrespective to his victims.

He should never walk the streets again. He could easily live 40-50 years and be out in no time at this rate!

I hope that Manuelas family case against the state succeeds in showing the world how defunct our criminal justice system really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As someone that often travelled by the areas that this piece of scum carried out his deeds it sickens me.
    Many night I have walked by those pitches in Mervue.

Our sentencing system has to change and our prison system has to change to make sure people like this never are at large in society.

But this is not the first case where the authorities and our criminal/prison system have allowed sickos wander amongst us.

Remember how Castlerea day release physco Thomas Murray killed 81 year old retired teacher in Ballygar with lump hammer and then went back to prison that night.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2001/07/07/story7442.asp

Remember killing of German tourist Bettina Poeschel in Louth by convicted killer Michael Murphy.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0213/poeschelb.html
    When will he be out again to try and get his hat trick.

These men do not deserve to ever see the light of day and all the horses*** about rehabiliation is just that.

Why is the system now so stacked in favour of the perps and so against the victims asnd indeed the general welbeing of the majority of law abiding decent people.
    When will a politican actually stand up and be counted.
    When will someone come out and say no more bail for anyone connected with violent crime, no more concurrent sentences.
    No more bullsh** manslaughter convictions when it was murder pure and simple.

The more you look at this country the more you appreciate Padraig Nally's actions.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

no doubt the fascists are going to lock this thread, so i'll say this very quickly: if he gets out, i'll personally kill the ****er myself. slowly and painfully

Let me guess, you're the "No more tears" type of shampoo..... right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

It will cost the state a lot to keep him locked up for life.It makes me sick to think that he had a lawyer who was tring his best to get him off or lessen the sentence. Imagine all the misery he has been responsible for throughout his life. He should be killed pain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

jayoo wrote: »
    It will cost the state a lot to keep him locked up for life.It makes me sick to think that he had a lawyer who was tring his best to get him off or lessen the sentence. Imagine all the misery he has been responsible for throughout his life. He should be killed pain and simple

The lawyer/solicitor is obliged to represent the client, and to defend them to the best of their abilities. Also, it is not their position to determine guilt, no matter how obvious the facts of the crime. The client has a right to a fair trial - every client, every crime, every trial, and the solicitor would be denying that right by not defending their client. Not easy to stomach for such an horrific, awful crime as this but it's there to protect the innocent.

Personally speaking, I hope he never sees the light of day again and I hope he lives in an ever-worsening nightmare, second by slow second, for the rest of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tiger Nat

Hi
    Regardless of whether it's rape or consentual, a teacher should have better moral fiber than to sleep around with his/her students. The teacher should be dismissed and not allowed to teach. There are too many problems that can be encountered, accusations of bias, "free" grades, etc. In the case of rape, the teacher should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. He/she is in a position of authority.
    midwest prisons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

what's even more sickening is that our taxes will go to keeping this low-life in prison when nothing good will come out of keeping the sicko alive, a bullet in the head is all he's good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What's wrong is that the sentence starts today and not at the end of his sentence for the murder of Maneula. Two unrelated crimes and he gets to serve sentences for both in paralell, that is completely wrong.

It's not just wrong, it's totally stupid.Insane, i could think of more colourful words to describe the idiot of a judge who decided the scumbag can serve all sentences as one. :( Bastard will be a free man while he is still young enough to be a serious threat again.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

teresa2008 wrote: »
    how long is a life sentence? the guy should be neutered

Thats to good for him.Execute this so called human.:mad:

So the fact he was given 3 life sentences at once means that since one is 18(ish) years, once he's finished that 18 years he's off scott-free?

What the f*ck went wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I went to that case that soundbyte mentioned:
    At the extradition hearing at the Bridewell complex, the court ruled the fingerprints were not sufficient proof and granted bail to the two Englishmen pending production of further evidence.

Those fingerprints were based on evidence of a large amount of criminal activity, including sexual attacks. Once freed they raped and killed two women, the second girl was assaulted for 36 hours.

So do you think the no-extradition justices slept well at night?

Of course they did, the well paid shysters.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Life sentences are concurrent not consecutive. This is on the basis that a life sentence is supposed to be for "life" when in fact this is far from the case. Trouble is that in 10 or 15 years time we will have forgotten about the severity of the crimes Barry committed, governments will have changed three times over and it is conceivable that this f**ker could walk in 20 years or so. Hopefully he won't walk for too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I hope every day of his sentence is a living hell. I hope he is tortured within an inch of his life on a daily basis. And I hope he never walks the streets of Galway again. Sadly I think the former is more guaranteed than the latter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

He is just evil personified. He should have got a lethal injection or the chair in 1996 but the way things have gone he will be out free to rape and murder once again in 15 years.

The justice system in this country is a total disaster. Life does not mean life and it makes a total joke of his victims lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Personally, I think it would be impossible for any Justice minister to look at that file and set him free. Has there been anyone in the country released under similar circumstances does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Pure SCUM he is.
    I hope he's sharing a cell with a large homo rapist and is tortured everyday going forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I think we're reached a consensus with this thread.

Mob justice decrees that he should be castrated, killed and imprisoned for the remainder of his natural life.

shampoosuicide, think of all the good fascists have done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement