Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reducing Xbox 360 Noise

• 24-07-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey,

Bought older xbox 360 lately and totally underestimated the noise generated by the console.

I've been looking at possible solutions to this on ye olde tinternet but only straightforwardish solution ive found is this

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/432540-xbox-360-cooling-noise-reduction.html

but its back in 2006 so im hoping there is an even simpler solution to this now. i realise the dvd drive noise cant be helped but certainly when the DVD drive is idle, the fans still make far too much noise so i'm hoping I can address that.

Anyone with any success/experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrExcitement

Just for more info. I bought 2006 Pro model with Hitachi DVD drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just turn up the sound :p

i know i know
    but i cant really cos then my wife cant watch the tv in same room and cant go upstairs making a racket cos of baba so basically i need to reduce the sound of 360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Buy a ps3? they're really quiet.

Or just use headphones all round! there's not much you can do unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

installing the games to the hard drive really helps with the noise i find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Game on hard drive and surround sound on or earphones is my solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Game on hard drive and surround sound on or earphones is my solution.

Correct answers. The game being installed on the hard drive means that the disc won't be spinning while you're playing. Much quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Install all of your games to the hard drive, that made a massive difference with mine (no more constant drive whirring).

Mind you, the newer 360's are a bit quieter regardless compared to the older models.

Resist covering it with a pillow, that will definitely induce RROD :D.

**** it. ill go operating on it so.

feckin stupid design. sitting a dvd drive over a heatsink!!! wtf!!!

ive already tried the copying game to HD which helps a small bit on the sound but its actual loud fan noise even when the system is idle that needs sorting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I have a 2006 model , same as you after i install the game, its very quite i can hear the fan but its no louder than my computer being on.

what have you got it sitting on ?

• Advertisement

In order to keep it well ventilated it sits flat on wooden floor. i could try placing it on something softer to limit vibration but that wont stop the fans being loud like a hairdryer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have a PS3 (60gb model) and a brand new 360. The PS3 is actually louder than the 360 when it heats up.

its a loud of b*ll*x isnt it?

a ps3 or xbox360 shouldnt be louder than a pc. ive had plenty in my time and i could never describe the fan on a pc as obtrusive but certainly the xbox 360 is.

has anyone tried the steps i posted at the start where the guy not only replaced the standard fans with the whisper fan but he also attempted to improve the air flow which apparently resulted in hotter air being circulated out of the fans but the upside was a quieter system and less heat funneling up from heatsink below dvd drive.

just wanted to be sure this was worth trying....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Neady_b

Mines is savage loud how do i copy gmaes onto the hard-drive?

Its on menu options. Just before you run game, hit Y and you get the option to install to HD if you've enough space.

you still need the disc in the dvd-drive at all times though.

anyway, thats not what I was posting about. there is f*ck all i can do about the dvd-drive aside from trying to limit the vibrations of the drive.

but surely the fans....those f*ckin fans could be quieter!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Be thankful you didn't get the turbo fan I got, when I got my box repaired. You can hear the foookin fan UPSTAIRS!! It's awful.

I was the number 1 fan of the machine (no pun) and after 3 RRODs, 2 consoles, and stupid jumbo jet fans I'm beginning to get enraged at how pants it actually is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

but surely the fans....those f*ckin fans could be quieter!!!!

Have only glanced over this thread so it may have been said but you can get a device that clips on to the back of the xbox where the fans are that helps with the flow of cool air and therefore reduces the amount of time the fans need to run which should make it quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

KTRIC wrote: »
    I have a PS3 (60gb model) and a brand new 360. The PS3 is actually louder than the 360 when it heats up.

I agree, the PS3 for me is a lot louder than the newer 360s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

transfer it into the lian li 360 case, the PC-XB01, alternatively/additionally install a watercooling system

they make brilliant cases though, worth the money

• Advertisement

worth the money? arent the cases around €100 !!!

plus its super bulky!!! if I wanted a midi-tower case, i'd have just spunked out for a pc with decent graphics card. and it still wouldve been quieter!!!

ive compared with ps3 in pals house and ps3 is nowhere near as loud as 360. perhaps when theyve been running for a while but certainly when both drives are going fill tilt, the 360 is still the loud f*kker.

ive spent days researching and the ONLY solution (which isnt a solution) that seems to exist is swap it out into the new Li cases. Every other method of noise reduction seems to have mixed reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 glenjohnsonlfc

Try putting a pillow on top of it but dont cover the back to much or youll destroy your console

worth the money? arent the cases around €100 !!!

plus its super bulky!!! if I wanted a midi-tower case, i'd have just spunked out for a pc with decent graphics card. and it still wouldve been quieter!!!

ive compared with ps3 in pals house and ps3 is nowhere near as loud as 360. perhaps when theyve been running for a while but certainly when both drives are going fill tilt, the 360 is still the loud f*kker.

ive spent days researching and the ONLY solution (which isnt a solution) that seems to exist is swap it out into the new Li cases. Every other method of noise reduction seems to have mixed reports.

in this instance its not necessarily the case ( :) ) because its for an xbox which has limited lifespan, but in regards to pc the atx format seems to be sticking and as such a good case is reusable for the forseeable future, and what with the case being such an important part of a pc setup i find it worth forking out for

mine cost about 180 on the bay (more in shops) but its probably one of the best in mass production i would have thought, well worth it imo

Advertisement