Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Audi A3 question

• 24-07-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My old 1.6 A3 has developed a slightly worrying problem recently. When accelerating there is a drastic lack of power in every gear under 2000 rpm. Once I hit 2000, the problem goes away.

Also, when cruising, once in a while it gives a very quick lurch, kind of like when the clutch is let out in a too-low gear. This might happen in any gear, but again, usually at low revs (ie under 3000). I haven't noticed any accompanying sound (not to say that there isn't one - I usually have the radio on much too loud :o)

Finally, when stopped at lights etc, it has cut out 3 or 4 times now (over the last 10 days). It starts again, but only on the 2nd or 3rd try.

She's a 1998, with 119K miles. Had the throttle body cleaned about 6 months ago to solve an idling problem which also caused the engine to cut out, although that seemed to be due to the revs jumping then dropping to zero.

I'll be dropping her into the garage soon to get the timing belt and water pump done anyway, but does anyone have any idea what might be causing the above problems and a ball-park figure to solve it? I'm heading on holidays next week, so cash is gonna be tight. If it's possible would prefer not to have to spend a lot of cash on another problem when I'll already be shelling out for the TB.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

It could be your mass airflow sensor?
    Get your mechanic to check it out when he is doing the timing belt and get it hooked up to vagcom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It is starting to sound like a problem with the MAF. Best to get it checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Like the other thread on the VAG 1.9 TDI, try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if your problem goes away. Can't seem to find a pic of the MAF sensor location at the moment, but I'll have a look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MAF or maybe the ignition coils?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll update when I've had it checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Just had it checked out. They replaced the Engine Speed sensor and the Lambda sensor. Driving ok since I picked it up this morning. My poor wallet though. €380 including labour and VAT :(. And that's with the timing belt and associated jiggery-pokery coming up in 500 miles or so.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Advertisement