Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Far too confusing for the average punter imo

They manage the commuter trains that do that same stopping pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gooddarts10

They manage the commuter trains that do that same stopping pattern.

Yes and for the most part the people who use the commuter train are exactly that commuters the DART Caters for everyone hence stopping at every station

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes and for the most part the people who use the commuter train are exactly that commuters the DART Caters for everyone hence stopping at every station

Well, commuter trains are painted a different colour and make a lot of noise and smell. So that makes it easy for the poor unfortunate non commuters to tell the difference.

How do the poor people going to Howth or Malahide manage to not get on the right train?

People manage the world over with fast and slow trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gooddarts10

Well, commuter trains are painted a different colour and make a lot of noise and smell. So that makes it easy for the poor unfortunate non commuters to tell the difference.

How do the poor people going to Howth or Malahide manage to not get on the right train?

People manage the world over with fast and slow trains.

Not as black and white as that as all the expansion that is being talked about will be born on the back of a new fleet which will be for the most part the one type of unit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is nothing gained by this fast and slow DARTs idea. It will only dilute the DART brand and create confusion. While now you just tell someone "take the DART", you will then have to add a list of conditions and greatly increase the risk of someone taking the wrong train. The best transport systems are idiot proof.

Differentiation between different types of services is standard stuff, you do it where you have multiple different services (i.e. frequent stop, limited distance services and longer distance, limited stop services) or you keep it simple like Luas. Commuter services will not be improved by calling them fast DARTs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

We already have fast Darts, they're called Commuter.

All for electrifying the Commuter services, but not rebranding them Dart. Dart is a local frequent service brand, Commuter is a regional brand.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

OPW seem to be proposing an underground station at Dublin Zoo in the Phoenix Park tunnel, which will of course be a DART line in a few years time

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/funicular-and-driverless-shuttle-in-proposed-phoenix-park-revamp-1.3869557

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

marno21 wrote: »
    OPW seem to be proposing an underground station at Dublin Zoo in the Phoenix Park tunnel, which will of course be a DART line in a few years time

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/funicular-and-driverless-shuttle-in-proposed-phoenix-park-revamp-1.3869557

Can't see them putting it underground, and the article says to the east of the park, so presumably it'll be under the St. Davids Terrace bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,693 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I really can’t see it happening.

Far more likely is a station at Conyngham Road serving the expanding developments there (adding a platform across from Platform 10) and a station at Cabra off Carnlough Road where another large development is due to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭cgcsb

CatInABox wrote: »
    Can't see them putting it underground, and the article says to the east of the park, so presumably it'll be under the St. Davids Terrace bridge.

That'd be AMAZING. But of course the OPW wanting it and it happening are distant relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

(Probably off topic, sorry), but does anyone know how the tunnel was originally constructed, was it mined, or cut/cover, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Rulmeq wrote: »
    (Probably off topic, sorry), but does anyone know how the tunnel was originally constructed, was it mined, or cut/cover, or something else?

I would say it was gun powder , picks and a lot of Labour was how they bored it out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,644 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I should sue:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109225205&postcount=5129

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Now that the Phoenix Park tunnel is reopened, Metrolink seems to be progressing and the Dart expansion is gearing up, I'd really love if the found a way to make any future Dart Underground project into a Dublin Circle Line project. I've been trying to think of ways of doing it, and haven't really come up with a solution that doesn't involve a load of trade offs. Only one that would really work is having a TBM launch site in Phoenix Park, which is possible, but extremely unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

MJohnston wrote: »

If you want, but you'll be behind many others that had ideas blatantly stolen from consultations way back that are influencing Metro Link on the Northside and in particular the Glasnevin area rail integration with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Ireland trains

I wonder when the NTA will publish the Detailed DART expansion programme
    Im looking forward to some work rather than just talk.
    Eg the new icr coach order still hasnt happened.
    I wonder do IÉ have their eye on any train models. Id love if they got the hitachi 385 but with nice seats

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Ireland trains

I was just reading the irish rail wikipedia page and in the future fleet section had some interesting info on the icr order and had a link to 'today's railways' febuary 2019 edition. If anyone has that magazine (i assume thats what it is) would they please post the artical.
    Would be very much appreciated.

*one thing about thr info on wikipwdia was it said 3 new train sets would be ordered but i thought the whole trason they just ordered center coaches was it was much quicker.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    If you want, but you'll be behind many others that had ideas blatantly stolen from consultations way back that are influencing Metro Link on the Northside and in particular the Glasnevin area rail integration with it.

You're fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

No one owns a good policy idea, they can't be stolen. Would you prefer good ideas were ignored?

How can you steal an idea from a consultation anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭gjim

Dats me wrote: »
    In the document attached it gives a bit more detail on the city-centre stuff:

· Infrastructural enhancement works at Connolly Station to support the DART Expansion
    · Redevelopment or relocation of the Docklands Station (scope currently under study)
    · Development / re-alignment and associated works for the Junctions on the line at Newcomen, North Strand, and North Wall
    · Removal of the six level crossings along the Maynooth line and provision of necessary bridge relief infrastructure
    · Addition of a new maintenance depot connected to the Maynooth Line

Maintenace depot is for "up to" 240 EMU units so it says
    Not sure it would pass a cost/benefit analysis, but I'd like them to look at moving the Docklands station a block closer to the river - i.e. to the east side of the canal between Sheriff Street and Mayor Street - putting the main entrance on Major Street but keeping an entrance on Sheriff St. The track bed might need to be dropped a meter to get under Sherriff St. This would put the station in the heart of the north docklands.

Later move the Spencer Dock Luas stop west a bit and you've direct integration with the Luas. Then let them build the 30 story hotel planned for behind the convention centre. Rename the heavy rail and tram stops "Convention Centre". Sell the air rights and accompanying land around the current station to developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

gjim wrote: »
    Not sure it would pass a cost/benefit analysis, but I'd like them to look at moving the Docklands station a block closer to the river - i.e. to the east side of the canal between Sheriff Street and Mayor Street - putting the main entrance on Major Street but keeping an entrance on Sheriff St. The track bed might need to be dropped a meter to get under Sherriff St. This would put the station in the heart of the north docklands.

Later move the Spencer Dock Luas stop west a bit and you've direct integration with the Luas. Then let them build the 30 story hotel planned for behind the convention centre. Rename the heavy rail and tram stops "Convention Centre". Sell the air rights and accompanying land around the current station to developers.
    Could and should have been done like that in the first place. Was such an obviously missed opportunity that I'm sure was commented on at the time on these forums.

I've never looked at technical drawings for DU, but I think Docklands was supposed to become an underground station aligned with Spencer Dock Luas stop, correct?

Obviously we're never getting DU, but I also wonder whether the balance of this area will change when the various developments north of Sheriff Street Upper are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

If they're relocating the Docklands station could they move it to the the site of the proposed DU station, behind the old LNWR station on North Wall Quay.

Ideally build a cut and cover station box for a 4 platform underground station. Can use two platforms as termini for the new docklands station, while still having room to let a future TMB work through the station for a potential DU project. Could easily be funded by selling the air rights in, and reduces the cost of a future DU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭gjim

Khuitlio wrote: »
    If they're relocating the Docklands station could they move it to the the site of the proposed DU station, behind the old LNWR station on North Wall Quay.

Ideally build a cut and cover station box for a 4 platform underground station. Can use two platforms as termini for the new docklands station, while still having room to let a future TMB work through the station for a potential DU project. Could easily be funded by selling the air rights in, and reduces the cost of a future DU.
    That would be ideal but bitter of experience of watching rail development in Dublin over the last few decades has lowered my expectations with respect to heavy rail project ambition.

Anyway, haven't they started building apartements in the block behind - bounded by New Wapping, Park Lane, Mayor and Sheriff Streets? If so, then you've no cut n' cover route from the line to the LNWR station.

My theory is that they did a half-assed job of this station originally because they believed that a successful Docklands station would undermine some of case for the Interconnector. Same for their reluctance to use the PPT. Not that either undermines the case for DU but you know the uninformed public and politicians are going to ask "why spend 3B on a tunnel from Hueston to Connolly (sic) when we already have a tunnel connecting them?"

In any case, the work needs to be done to make the station available as a terminus for trains coming through the PPT. The current schedule is very light for a "city centre" terminus. A slightly more central location with direct interchange with the red Luas and 4 to 8 trains arriving and departing per hour (depending on the time of day) split between Kildare and Maynooth would make this station into a very useful node in the public transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wasn't there talk about a generator tender slotted within the Dart train that could generate the required electricity that could be used where there was no O/H line available. That could be used while the lines are put up.
    that is the proposal to order bi-mode trains. they will have a generator module, probably in the centre of each unit. the module can be uncuppled and removed when no longer required.
    I've been thinking about this and I suspect we'd have problems doing something like it in practice.

There are two ways you can have hybrid trains. First is to have railcars that have both a pantograph and a diesel engine. Second is to use the FLIRT type trainsets offered by some Swiss company (Staedler I think). These have middle-section diesel generators. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

On the one hand, trainsets with middle section diesel generators would be comfortable to ride in, because there would be no diesel engine making noise in the passenger car. But there would be two large downsides.
    1) They'd divide each trainset in half - a passenger could not walk from one half of the trainset to the other because the diesel generator car would be inaccessible to passengers. So for an 8 car train, instead of being divided by 2, 4 cars like the 29000s or some of the newer DARTs (or even the 3/4 car ICRs), a FLIRT train would be divided by 4.
    2) Platform space - this is the elephant in the room. Most platforms especially in the Dublin area - including most notably the suburban platforms at Connolly - are geared around 8 car trains, where each car is the length of a 29000 or a DART car (those same platforms can only accommodate 7 car ICR because the ICRs are longer). There is not much margin AFAIK especially at Connolly. FLIRT type trains would cause a major trade-off to have to be made because the platform space to accommodate 8 cars of our current types plus 2 diesel generators. So the choice would have to be made:
    • Have shorter passenger cars so that the equivalent of 8 cars plus 2 generator can fit into where it used to be just 8 cars? That would reduce capacity, and it could not be regained when the line is elecrtrified because when the diesel gens are no longer required, they just shorten the trainset by removing them. At that point, 1/2 - 1 car lengths on the existing platforms would be wasted.
    • Make trains 8 cars long but add generators, adding an additional 1/2 to 1 car length to a train, and have them not fit on the platform until the wiring is put up?
    • Buy full length trains (as above) and retrofit all the platforms?

The other options is to buy hybrid cars. These could be ordered to similar carbody dimensions as what we use today, I assume, with out any balancing act as to train and platform length.

But they could end up being basically 29000s with pantographs :( blegh. And they might be horrible to ride in under diesel power with diesel engine noise reverberating around the interiors of the carriages. They'd be awful doing the things that "Commuter" cars do today like Sligo and Rosslare services, something that's still happening for some reason :(

What is the solution? I don't know but I'd like to know what the NTA and IE are thinking on this.

For my part, I'd say electrifiy the Maynooth, Balbriggan and Kildare lines as fast as possible, buy straight EMUs for the DART to follow with current carbody dimensions, and then from there decide what types of hybrid trains should be used on long distance services that will likely never be electrified e.g. Dundalk, Longford, the Rosslare line etc.

SeanW wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this and I suspect we'd have problems doing something like it in practice.

There are two ways you can have hybrid trains. First is to have railcars that have both a pantograph and a diesel engine. Second is to use the FLIRT type trainsets offered by some Swiss company (Staedler I think). These have middle-section diesel generators. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

On the one hand, trainsets with middle section diesel generators would be comfortable to ride in, because there would be no diesel engine making noise in the passenger car. But there would be two large downsides.
    1) They'd divide each trainset in half - a passenger could not walk from one half of the trainset to the other because the diesel generator car would be inaccessible to passengers. So for an 8 car train, instead of being divided by 2, 4 cars like the 29000s or some of the newer DARTs (or even the 3/4 car ICRs), a FLIRT train would be divided by 4.
    2) Platform space - this is the elephant in the room. Most platforms especially in the Dublin area - including most notably the suburban platforms at Connolly - are geared around 8 car trains, where each car is the length of a 29000 or a DART car (those same platforms can only accommodate 7 car ICR because the ICRs are longer). There is not much margin AFAIK especially at Connolly. FLIRT type trains would cause a major trade-off to have to be made because the platform space to accommodate 8 cars of our current types plus 2 diesel generators. So the choice would have to be made:
    • Have shorter passenger cars so that the equivalent of 8 cars plus 2 generator can fit into where it used to be just 8 cars? That would reduce capacity, and it could not be regained when the line is elecrtrified because when the diesel gens are no longer required, they just shorten the trainset by removing them. At that point, 1/2 - 1 car lengths on the existing platforms would be wasted.
    • Make trains 8 cars long but add generators, adding an additional 1/2 to 1 car length to a train, and have them not fit on the platform until the wiring is put up?
    • Buy full length trains (as above) and retrofit all the platforms?

The other options is to buy hybrid cars. These could be ordered to similar carbody dimensions as what we use today, I assume, with out any balancing act as to train and platform length.

But they could end up being basically 29000s with pantographs :( blegh. And they might be horrible to ride in under diesel power with diesel engine noise reverberating around the interiors of the carriages. They'd be awful doing the things that "Commuter" cars do today like Sligo and Rosslare services, something that's still happening for some reason :(

What is the solution? I don't know but I'd like to know what the NTA and IE are thinking on this.

For my part, I'd say electrifiy the Maynooth, Balbriggan and Kildare lines as fast as possible, buy straight EMUs for the DART to follow with current carbody dimensions, and then from there decide what types of hybrid trains should be used on long distance services that will likely never be electrified e.g. Dundalk, Longford, the Rosslare line etc.

Or use a diesel locomotive to pull from the end of the o/h wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You're fun!

And you're not.
    fionnsci wrote: »
    No one owns a good policy idea, they can't be stolen. Would you prefer good ideas were ignored?

Nothing to do with any policy and I never said good ideas should be ignored.
    How can you steal an idea from a consultation anyway?

When the idea is proposed, featured in the media, repeated at a consultation with state appointed consultants and then subsequently adopted years down the road with no credit. I'm not talking about you rocking up to some open door public consultation, putting your point across and then retreating to your keyboard.

And you're not.

Nothing to do with any policy and I never said good ideas should be ignored.

When the idea is proposed, featured in the media, repeated at a consultation with state appointed consultants and then subsequently adopted years down the road with no credit. I'm not talking about you rocking up to some open door public consultation, putting your point across and then retreating to your keyboard.

I guess it wasn't clear to you that I was entirely joking about sueing, but fine!

If you continually submit an idea to public consultations, it would be completely idiotic to believe you retain any ownership over that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Will the actually put up electric cables to maynooth or is this where the bimode trains come in ?

Advertisement