Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

My own crayon plan for the area is to demolish everything between Townsend St and the quay wall, Hawkins St an Tara St, and completely redevelop into a large bus station for all operators(possible even a multi-level design), with direct Luas interchange and dedicated access to the Rosie bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If there was a station at Hawkins House, you could be at Supermacs on O'Connell Street in maybe three minutes if you crossed the Rosie Hackett Bridge.

I know. I'm just saying it would be perceived that way (which could impact usage)...not that it actually is any less central.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

My own crayon plan for the area is to demolish everything between Townsend St and the quay wall, Hawkins St an Tara St, and completely redevelop into a large bus station for all operators(possible even a multi-level design), with direct Luas interchange and dedicated access to the Rosie bridge.

Wish you luck with that considering the passion two recently built ugly chimneys in the bay are generating!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Wish you luck with that considering the passion two recently built ugly chimneys in the bay are generating!

But they are big, recently built, ugly chimneys. They are not even twin, big, recently built, ugly chimneys.

I know, but I thought that is what we were doing on this thread now, posting unrealistic crayon plans that will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How far along Townsend st would your rape&pillage plan go? past Mark St? past Prince st sth?
    All the way to Lombard St?

How much would you personally pay for your grandiose plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If there was a station at Hawkins House, you could be at Supermacs on O'Connell Street in maybe three minutes if you crossed the Rosie Hackett Bridge. To be honest, I don't care how they do it, they just need to get rid of Hawkins House. Be it rail related, or not!

I hope when Hawkins House gets redeveloped there are many sticks of dynamite placed underneath it and thousands of Dubliners can crack open some bubbly and enjoy the show :D It's has to rank in the top 5 most depressing buildings in the city centre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I hope when Hawkins House gets redeveloped there are many sticks of dynamite placed underneath it and thousands of Dubliners can crack open some bubbly and enjoy the show :D It's has to rank in the top 5 most depressing buildings in the city centre

I thought Leinster House caused the most depression for the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

This got knocked to make way for Hawkins House & co.

M_TheatreRoyal_HawkinsSt_eas1700.jpg

Around the same time as the Georgian Houses went on Fitzwilliam St. Grim times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What a nice building, cultural vandalism to tear that down and replace it with Hawkins House. Was year was that torn down, was it Haughey era ?

• Advertisement

The fourth Theatre Royal, Dublin closed its doors on 30 June 1962. The building was subsequently demolished and replaced by a twelve-storey office block, Hawkins House, headquarters of Ireland's Department of Health.

What a nice building, cultural vandalism to tear that down and replace it with Hawkins House. Was year was that torn down, was it Haughey era ?

Lemass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IE123

What is going to happen in terms of EMU maintenance Depots when the Dart Underground opens?

If they build a new one, will Fairview stay open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,029 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm sure it will. Fairview is well positioned at the centre of the X.

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm sure it will. Fairview is well positioned at the centre of the X.

Where will the new depot be located?

A new EMU depot is not in the plans for DU. Not saying it won't happen, but there is no public info on the topic as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There's a new depot already built in Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cinephille1888

AngryLips wrote: »
    There's a new depot already built in Drogheda

Electrification won't stretch that far.

I've asked before what turn around at Balbriggan will be like but no one seems to know.

Same goes for Maynooth, how do they avoid conflict with Sligo/Longford DMUs?

Fairview will likely stay, but the increased stock needs somewhere to sit overnight...

With all the new trains that they are going to order for Maynooth/Hazelhatch/Balbriggan Electrification, they will need a place to put all of these. There will be no room in Fairview, or in Drogheda due to the 29000 class using that as a depot.

Electrification won't stretch that far.

I've asked before what turn around at Balbriggan will be like but no one seems to know.

Same goes for Maynooth, how do they avoid conflict with Sligo/Longford DMUs?

Fairview will likely stay, but the increased stock needs somewhere to sit overnight...

I would say that they will put maybe 2 sidings north of Balbriggan station, on the east side (side nearest to the coast.)

They could put two more on the opposite side also, and once the train terminates, they can use these sidings as a turnback facility, and at night, they can stable trains here.

At Maynooth, as far as I know, there is already one siding. But with alot more movements of Dart trains, they will need at least 2 more sidings to serve as a turnback facility.

Also, if a new Depot is built, it will have to contain a Wheel Lathe, in order to stop the practice of sending DART trains up to Drogheda for heavy maintenance

• Advertisement

Would there be room for additional sidings in Fairview?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Presumably there is someone in Irish Rail who knows all this stuff?

Why so much conjecture when we can simply ask for information that I can't imagine is a secret?

Or am I being simple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There is some work going on in Maymooth atm, not sure if it's related to any of this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭thomasj

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There is some work going on in Maymooth atm, not sure if it's related to any of this though.

Local Dublin 15 cllr Roderic o gorman has posted a reply he got from Leo varadkar in relation to dart underground work and the level crossings on the maynooth line

Taken from http://rodericogorman.com/?cat=25

(Link below will download PDF if letter sent from LV)
    http://rodericogorman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Minister-Varadkar-letter-June-2014.pdf

God, that is infuriating. tl;dr : all work on closing LCs suspended until end of 2018.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's a hard lesson that there needs to be better public consultation and engagement before the planning stage of projects which have a potential to annoy people.

I'm not saying don't plan. Plan better. Get public buy in.

It's sad that public bodies need to be reminded of this over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

thomasj wrote: »
    Local Dublin 15 cllr Roderic o gorman has posted a reply he got from Leo varadkar in relation to dart underground work and the level crossings on the maynooth line

Nice to see good old Varadkar maintaining the tradition of Transport Ministers abusing their position to reinforce their constituency positions. I can't see how any rational sensible person could oppose crossing closures - this being Ireland though, the government rolls over when approached by a few nutcases and suspends work for four years.

I wouldn't mind but the local residents will probably be the first to cry murder if someone gets killed on one of the unclosed crossings between now and 2018.

:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dublin rail projects to rely on private funding

Not sure if this is information that is new or not:
    The underground tunnel (formerly known as the interconnector) connecting the Docklands and Inchicore with underground stations in key locations and the €3 billion Metro North were mothballed when the Government decided on priority capital projects in 2011. Neither was completely abandoned and both are subject to feasibility reviews in light of economic conditions by the end of 2015.

However, ministerial briefing papers prepared for Mr Donohoe state while work on the projects was ongoing “no new large project, however strong the business case, could proceed unless a funding package outside the normal departmental allocations, and including private sector involvement, was available”.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Dublin rail projects to rely on private funding

Not sure if this is information that is new or not:

Given the govt of the day ignored offers to privately fund a Dublin metro, and then built the Luas on the cheap, this may be whats needed.

Tons of private capital pouring into Dublin these days, we built our motorway network with private help so why not this.

The state clearly too busy doing economic gymnastics to invest properly in infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Given the govt of the day ignored offers to privately fund a Dublin metro, and then built the Luas on the cheap, this may be whats needed.

Tons of private capital pouring into Dublin these days, we built our motorway network with private help so why not this. The state clearly can't deliver it.
    With the amount of development ongoing and planned for the docklands and the silicon hub, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a call for a quick airport train which linked with the Luas and DART.

Say what you want about aircoach, it's not so handy from, for example, Google's office.

Advertisement