Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

canon eos 1000d lenses?

• 24-07-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, i am taking the leap to a digital slr camera and the one i have chosen after much research and consultation with photo shops and other photographers is the canon eos 1000d. This comes with an 18-55mm IS lens as standard which from what i can see is the standard lens on most entry level DSLR cameras. i want another lens too but dont know what to go for so im exploring my options from all angles, what lens would people recomend for maybe landscape/sport/portrait photography? or is there even an all rounder type lens to do a bit of all of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

you just listed three different lenses there. for landscape i would go for a wide lens(10-22), for sport i would go for something longer like the 55-250 is and for portrait you cant really go wrong with the 50mm 1.8 II.

it really is down to personal preference and budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Unless there is a really good bundled deal, then I would advise waiting while you get to grips with the new camera & the lens you have. There will be lots of "shiny things" to spend your money on & after you shoot for a while with the kit lens you will have a better idea where you want to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Unless there is a really good bundled deal, then I would advise waiting while you get to grips with the new camera & the lens you have. There will be lots of "shiny things" to spend your money on & after you shoot for a while with the kit lens you will have a better idea where you want to go.

Totally agree. I bought the 1000d at christmas & because it was all new to me i simply couldn't get my head around why a camera so expensive (to me) didn't come with a zoom (:o). So i also bought a canon 55-250mm lens at the same time. Although i got a very good deal, its the one lens i use the least. The cheapo 50mm i since bought is used a lot lot more but the kit lens suits my needs almost perfectly.
    If I was going it again i would have went for the 10-20mm sigma wide angle lens - but i only know this now after 6 months with my camera.
    SAve your money for now and see what kind of shots interest you the most. That will then answer your original question

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

CabanSail wrote: »

that too. i dont know if that came across in my response but i would wait a while until you know what you need in a lens before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Congratu;ations on your purchase of a DSLR.

The supplied kit lens is quite capable, especially if lighting conditions are good.

For portrait & landscape the supplied kit lens is probably going to be adequate for a while unless you decide to progress specifically in this field in which case you'll probably go for a 50mm lens (I'll leave the apeture up to you ;)).

A 70 to 200mm will probably suffice for some sports photography to begin with to see how you get on. Go for as low as you can afford in terms of f-stop. You'll probably go for a little more focal length when you get more comfortable with the camera and its functionality. I have a Tamron 70 to 200mm f4 - 5.6 and its performed far better (in good light outdoor conditions) than I'd ever have dared to hope for. Can sometimes be a little short but nothing getting closer to the subject won't cure. Here's one shot with it.

83907.jpg

You'll get lots of good advice from the gang here.

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

MOBRIEN142, good luck with your new DSLR.
    A very nice photo Tactical, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mobrien142

sorry guys i forgot to say that having made my decision on a camera i am saving very hard for it nearly there but not yet!!!!! thanks for all the advice though, very valuable stuff there indeed. As a beginner too slr photography i think i can safely assume i will be in good hands for advice here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mobrien142

sorry guys i forgot to say that having made my decision on a camera i am saving very hard for it nearly there but not yet!!!!! thanks for all the advice though, very valuable stuff there indeed. As a beginner too slr photography i think i can safely assume i will be in good hands for advice here:D

Advertisement