Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosemary

• 24-07-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to grow Rosemary from seeds but I'm not having much success, i'm just using normal moss peat in a large-ish Garden pot, has anybody got any recomendations or tips of what might help me get the plants started?

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The best way to get rosemary plants going is to take cuttings from existing plants. They take root in a few months and start to flourish after a year or so - and they've got a head start so that's a similar speed to growing from seed.

In terms of what you're doing, moss peat isn't the greatest seed propagating medium unless it's been treated to combat its acidity levels. You can buy seed mix - it's like a mix of some peat, a top quality potting soil and some sharp sand, so it's loose and light. I like to start things from seed in old cardboard egg cartons, in seed raising mix - the cardboard can be cut on one side and the seedlings planted intact when its time.

Rosemary seed from what I recall is very lightweight - what happens when you plant? Does it germanate? Do you get seedlings that then die off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

most of the seeds dont germinate at all, and those that do either die off soon afterwards or just quite simply not grow any more, I have managed to get one to grow to about two inches but it's been like that for about a year now not getting any bigger.
    Where would I get this seed mix?

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

uch wrote: »
    most of the seeds dont germinate at all, and those that do either die off soon afterwards or just quite simply not grow any more, I have managed to get one to grow to about two inches but it's been like that for about a year now not getting any bigger.
    Where would I get this seed mix?

Most garden centres have it. Have seen it in the likes of Dunnes too. You can make it up yourself too. Rosemary can be difficult to grow from seed unless temp is right. Where are you growing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Seed raising mix can usually be bought in bags of anything from 5kg to 30kg in garden centres. Alternatively try constructing it yourself - as described, mix some top quality potting mix with a little peat moss and some sharp sand. You want a mix with a PH of 5 - 6.5, that drains freely but doesn't dry out too quickly, and that's nice and light. (Think about it - most seeds are designed to germanate after falling to the ground, so they'll be in that loose, barely-dusted-over surface soil - that's what you're emulating.)

Every seed is like a little energy power pack. Heat and water usually wake it up, so it'll split its casing and send forth the standard sprouting seedling - the double-leaves that break the seed case and a faltering stem. The seed itself has just enough energy contained in it to send forth these two leaves, the stem and a questing root. The root picks up the nutrients required to continue its efforts upwards, and the leaves start photosynthesis to boost the plant onwards.

In order to have success from seed, the seeds need the right medium, the right temperature, the right moisture and the right source of nutrients. Peat moss, unless treated, will fall short on the nutrient front for questing seedlings.

Lots of people commonly fail with seedlings because they germanate them indoors - the warmth of the airing cupboard will cause nearly any seed to think "woohoo! summer's a-coming!" and it cracks the seed case and sends out the questing stem. However, even on a windowledge (unless it's a pretty ace windowledge) the seedlings don't get enough sunshine, so they become stretched in their quest for light (a way long stem, still with just two little leaves) and their legginess takes over the stem strength and they flop over and die.

Personally I have the best success with seeds on two fronts: sow where they're to grow (thereby cutting out the stress of planting-on), or for fragile seedlings, I plant in seed raising mix in egg boxes that I place inside those opaque plastic under-bed storage boxes with air holes drilled in the lid, and then I place the entire box outside. That way I find the seedlings acclimatise to the cold of the night time and benefit fully from the light of the day, while the plastic container helps ward off pests and harsh weather. The container will also get condensation during the day time, helping keep the seedlings moist. They still need an eye kept on them, but they do better than the other ways I've tried. This works if you want to bring on a plant earlier than the season will normally allow, but you can't risk planting out because frost will kill it.

After the seedlings reach the lid of the box, I'll take the lid off completely but leave them in the box for another while, until they're well strong, using the box to continue to protect them from pests and the worst of the wind (and propping the lid back over using gardening sticks if they're frost sensitive and there's a frost forecast.

When they look hardy I make a cut in the egg carton (which is usually already falling asunder) to help the roots escape and plant where I want them to grow on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I grew Rosemary from seed this year in June. I started them in seed compost and then potted them up into a post put them into a sand based soil in the greenhouse. They are doing great

• Advertisement
Advertisement