Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Island - Knicker argument

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

fizzgig wrote: »
    I honestly thought they should have given her the price that was marked on the item.
    Some people here said i shouldnt have opened my mouth at all, but i really thought they would honour the price... it was a sale item.

people are saying that you shouldn't have butted in cos you it was none of your business and you were completely in the wrong. As others have said, it isn't great customer service but completely correct. Having spent years work in retail it's frustrating dealing with people who claim to 'know their rights' but actually haven't a clue. it's also completely irrelevant if it's a sale item.

Sorry, rant over, just brings me back!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not sure why all the OP bashing on this thread. You can flander the law around all you want, either way it was very poor on River Island's part from the way they handled in and a customer perspective.

With regard to label switching, dont River Island attached their printed price tags by a plastic chord?

The only thing I would have done differently would have been asked for the manager rather than just walking out.

Then again, i wouldnt have been buying women's undies in the first place.

(well not there anyway, Pennys are far cheaper! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fizzgig

Did you stop to think that this poor girl ye gave all the grief to has no power to reduce items and when i worked in a similar line of work if i had given you the discount it would have come out of my wages while thats "only" 3 euro to the customer thats nearly 40% of their wages for that hour.

Staff work very hard in those shops and mistakes happen.

Just to clarify - both myself and the " knicker lady " spoke to 3 girls in the shop. One of which was the manager...
    Didnt give anyone GRIEF - just tryed to explain our points - when they went unheard, i decided not to buy - which is my right...

God almighty..

Red Alert wrote: »
    The girl should've asked the manager, or whoever had the power to lower it. No point screaming at her, but if she wouldn't do it then talk to someone who can.

Scream at ???

Do people just like to make up things on this board !!

OK, fair enough, we're bein a lilttle hard, it's just very frustrating for staff involved. It can be difficult to understand a situation from the others persons point of view unless you've been in that situation yourself. That's not supposed to sound patronising, it's only natural really. There have been situations in the past where I didn't treat staff well,and it was only after, when I spoke to other people that I realised I'd been quite rude.

A lot of people don't think about retail staff having to deal with a lot of hassle all day, it's by no means an easy job, especially at sales time.

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    OK, fair enough, we're bein a lilttle hard, it's just very frustrating for staff involved. It can be difficult to understand a situation from the others persons point of view unless you've been in that situation yourself. That's not supposed to sound patronising, it's only natural really. There have been situations in the past where I didn't treat staff well,and it was only after, when I spoke to other people that I realised I'd been quite rude.

A lot of people don't think about retail staff having to deal with a lot of hassle all day, it's by no means an easy job, especially at sales time.

I know - but i was never rude.

So, i get it. River Island where prefectly entited not to sell the knickers for € 3.00.

So, i get it. River Island where prefectly entited not to sell the knickers for € 3.00.

Well I'd say that's a matter of opinion, I'd consider it pretty rude to 'wade in' on a conversation I know nothing about, and one which I'm completely in the wrong about. That's one thing I never have done!!

Also quite rude to simply 'drop' what you were going to purchase for the staff to tidy up, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding you use of 'drop'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

faceman wrote: »
    Not sure why all the OP bashing on this thread. You can flander the law around all you want, either way it was very poor on River Island's part from the way they handled in and a customer perspective.

It is, and since someone in the shop had marked down the price (maybe wrongly, or maybe the computer hadn't been updated yet), they really should have given it at the lower price. There was a sale on, after all.

Perfectly entitled, but loosing 2 customers over €3 was rather silly of them. A manager could have overridden the price on the till, and probably would have. It's rare that a shop wouldn't honour a price tag during a sale, even if it's wrong, especially when the amount is small, and the customers are buying a lot more.

Well I'd say that's a matter of opinion, I'd consider it pretty rude to 'wade in' on a conversation I know nothing about, and one which I'm completely in the wrong about. That's one thing I never have done!!

Also quite rude to simply 'drop' what you were going to purchase for the staff to tidy up, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding you use of 'drop'

Allow me to bow down to your moral superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Behave everyone

dudara

• Advertisement

Allow me to bow down to your moral superiority.

lol, it's hardly about that! You posted on here asking if you were right or wrong, people answered, that's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Used to work in retail. Think the checkout should have called supervisor/maganager. A store the size of RI should have taken the hit of 3euro, would still be making a gross profit given mark up is generally 250%

lol, it's hardly about that! You posted on here asking if you were right or wrong, people answered, that's it really.

Yes they did and thanks very much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Sar21 wrote: »
    I work in a retail shop... what I would have done in that situation as a cashier,
    Go out to the shop floor where the customer got the knickers, if there was another pair marked the same, i would give them to her for the marked price, if not im obliged to charge the price scanned in.
    As someone said.. it is quite easy to swap prices in a retail shop, expecially duing sale.
    I would have done the same, that way I'd know it was a pricing mistake on our behalf, or the system wasn't updated with the current sale prices which are changing every day at the moment. On the side of scamming had not one but two scammers today! They couldn't see me behind the rack, but one switched stickers, the other scribbled on a lower price :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I just laugh at price-switchers, extra funny when you yourself packed the fecker out and priced it.

Anyway, not many people here are suggesting that River Island behaved extremely well. Most are saying that they should have honoured it (which they should) but to keep in mind staff have zero till priveleges and are the unfortunate face of store policy dreamed up by people on much higher wages. Even the manager is subject to it- these things show up on the till computers (and even the receipt) and they can get a bollocking for it. They're also cracking down on it in these times, just like tills not balancing is suddenly a major deal when it used to be shrugged at and largely ignored..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ya really not well handled by River Island for the sake of a loose item you would have thought it would have been honoured. Then again if they gave every customer €3 off...

Basically OP I don't think you should have waded in, in a matter which ultimately had nothing to do with you and in fact both of you were wrong. I've seen customers do this to other customer and that affected person is almost egged on by them. Personally also if it wasn't me that this happened to I wouldnt have dropped my stuff and walked away.

Advertisement