Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your TV show of the noughties?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I thought Lost was great until they introduced a polar bear in the middle of the first episode.

Having used it as brownie-point currency with my better half every now and again, I cannot see how anyone can think that the writers thought the whole scenario through from the get-go. Someone mentioned that no other program has people around the world trying to figure out its mysteries. I think this includes the writers. (supposedly this has changed in hte last season, Im not sure, as the sheer absurdity of it became clear to more and more)

Anyway, it has become a cliche on boards that The Wire is the best program on TV. Those who have watched it vote it number 1. If you watch it and dont like it, its hardly a crime, but take the hint, its worth checking out. Im sure the backlash against the hype. There are very few who have invested their time in watching it, who dont find it the best written/produced program.

The first two series of Arrested Development is as good a comedy as you are likely to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Land Of Idiots

1. Lost
    2. The West Wing
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Dexter
    5. House M.D.

Honourable Mention to CSI. It was great viewing back when it first started.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭xr2central

i really liked cold case on sky,never hear much about it over here anytime you mention it to anyone they say wha? one downfall possibly was it was a bit predictable at times. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

Its the Sopranos-hands down and any of you bastards want to argue about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

HBO does deserve serious kudos for their cultural contribution.

Sopranos and The Wire are equal - the Italians used humour better, in a Shakespearian way to balance the violence and dark themes, and the Irish cops had better, more dense stories, and less stereotypical. PS The 'Homicide' book is a class read.

The Office US (Series 2+) is worth it. Series 1 was a poor (read identical) facsimile of the UK one. After that they took the show their own way, and Series 3 was absolutely ace. It also showed just how versatile Steve Carrell is, vs that one trick pony Gervais - who 8 years later is still gurning his way round the place in every single ad/interview/tv show/movie.

Lost was interesting for most of the first season - after that, many ppl are confusing random and abrupt changes in stories and characters as a sign of inventiveness and novelty. If I was feeling unkind, I'd say it was TV for ppl who like Dan Brown novels :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

My top 5
    Lost
    House
    The Wire
    The Apprentice
    Alias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Oz,closely followed by The Shield and The Sopranos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

My top 5

Life on Mars
    Ashes to Ashes
    House
    The IT Crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Pòkemon :>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

eolair wrote: »

Lost was interesting for most of the first season - after that, many ppl are confusing random and abrupt changes in stories and characters as a sign of inventiveness and novelty. If I was feeling unkind, I'd say it was TV for ppl who like Dan Brown novels :)

Erm, what random and arupt changes in stories and characters are you referring to? i have watched all episodes of lost are don't agree with that statment.

Anywhere best shows, the sporanos, Curb, Lost, Peep show, not very original i know sorry. BTW i havent got around to watching the wire yet but am looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Wire, nothing else comes close.

Honourable mentions to:
    The West Wing
    The Shield
    The Sopranos
    Shameless
    Lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have been disappointed by the 2000s. The fact that people call them the noughties is just one issue I have. noughties it is soooooooooooooo 90s.

Anyway shows that ticked all the boxes. Crud.

I am still waiting for something to come out of the US that will really really change all the rules, HBO have had some success with their shows. But the networks have returned to the badly acted prime time soap operas of the 80s e.g. Grey's (Dallas), Private Practice (Knots Landing). and the sitcom e.g. The Big Bang Theory is just Three's Company.

Irish wise we have actually grown up with some of RTÉ's dramas, but we often regress again. Pure Mule, Path To Freedom (1999), Prosperity, Batchelor's Walk, The Clinic, Whistleblower and other mini-serials have had a very high standard. We just need to get comedy right. Other dramas have been way of like the Prime Time Soap Opera The Big Bow Wow.

English serials have just been more of the same soap operas Coronation Street, Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Eastenders a tale of serveral cities. While they suggests pretend dramas like The Bill, Holby City, The Royal, Heart Beat etc which are really just soap operas, they have had some really excellent dramas but are often afraid to move on from the successes of the 1990s e.g. Prime Suspect and Frost. English show that did do it, Shameless, Skins, Life On Mars.

Australia some good detective dramas but we don't get to see many of them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Family Guy
    Bo Selecta
    The Office
    Life on Mars
    Band of Brothers
    The Ali G show

..and I'll admit I like Big Brother, I'm a celebrity and :o...X Factor.

There are about 5 more I cant think of right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Deadwood would be mine if it hadn't been cancelled before they could wrap it up, such a shame. The Wire is basically head and shoulders above anything else, amazing TV. Generation Kill, Lost and Buffy all deserve a mention though.

In terms of comedy/sit-coms it has been an amazing decade. Both versions of the Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Family Guy, Southpark, Futurama - all quality. But Arrested Development, In The Loop and Peep Show are true genius imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I want to say Arrested development, 24 or Dexter... but it has to be LOST. Before LOST I didn't bother to watch any shows from the US before they aired over here, in fact I didn't really watch anything religiously. LOST was like a cornerstone in TV, a gamble that got some people fired but has paid off imo, I would go so far as to say that some knife-edge shows since might have gotten the green light due to it's proven success.

It set a new standard of television imo.

i agree 100% on the lost part of your post. it will be maybe the only show over the last 10 years that will be talked about in 50 years time.a bit like dallas is talked about now.

thats if they dont screw up the final series. i really hope they end it well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

One word....Battlestar Galactica!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

West Wing, It Crowd, peep Show, Arrested devolopment. Band of brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

skins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Battlestar Galactica
    Rescue Me
    Stargate SG-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wreck wrote: »
    Deadwood would be mine if it hadn't been cancelled before they could wrap it up, such a shame. The Wire is basically head and shoulders above anything else, amazing TV. Generation Kill, Lost and Buffy all deserve a mention though.

In terms of comedy/sit-coms it has been an amazing decade. Both versions of the Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Family Guy, Southpark, Futurama - all quality. But Arrested Development, In The Loop and Peep Show are true genius imo.

Forgot to mention some other classics - Spaced, Black Books and Band of Brothers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

There can only be one 'The Wire' !!!

As regards Generation Kill, HELL NO! It was a miniseries, half of a normal season and you could easily see it had nowhere to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I'm a fan of Lost, but equally a strong critic. People are only fooling themselves thinking the show was written through from the start, and that is its main flaw.

Again, I equally support the motion that HBO have led the way with television this decade. Not just with quality drama such as The Wire and The Sopranos, but with revolutionary comedy such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Flight of the Conchords and Extras.

Other noteworthy shows include Peep Show, The Office US (It gets better with every season and has evolved into a new species from its distant UK ancestor), IT Crowd and Black Books.

And whoever mentioned reality television as best of this current decade, please proceed to the kitchen and cut your wrists.

Edit: Also Planet Earth, Life in Cold Blood, Life in the Undergrowth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Elmo wrote: »
    English serials have just been more of the same soap operas Coronation Street, Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Eastenders a tale of serveral cities. While they suggests pretend dramas like The Bill, Holby City, The Royal, Heart Beat etc which are really just soap operas...

The majority of the above doesn't even classify as television, it's chav entertainment for the illiterate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 L.J.B.Williams

250px-Theoffice.jpg
    250px-Extras_title_card.jpg
    250px-Curbyourenthusiasm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

nitrogen wrote: »
    The majority of the above doesn't even classify as television, it's chav entertainment for the illiterate.

I am suggesting they are the worst, which should be axed in favour of better programming, of which most have pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 L.J.B.Williams

Oh and this was astonishing too - South Pacific on BBC recently :)

250px-BBCSouthPacific.jpg

Advertisement