Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless

Options
  • 24-07-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,
    How do I turn off my wireless? I want to turn it off when im not using it. Should I just unplug it?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Jerry A wrote: »
    Hi,
    How do I turn off my wireless? I want to turn it off when im not using it. Should I just unplug it?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dub45 wrote: »
    Yes
    lol, that's got to be your shortest post ever. :D

but to reiterate....Yes ;)

And I even resisted the opportunity to critise UPC! Speaking of which..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jerry A

How do you turn off the Wi-Fi for a UPC Wireless Routers without unplugging it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

Jerry A wrote: »
    How do you turn off the Wi-Fi for a UPC Wireless Routers without unplugging it?
    Thanks
    Obviously the other posters only read the 2nd half of your post.

Usually, if the Wi-Fi has been set up with encryption, you don't need to switch it off (if you are just making sure that no-one else uses it). I'm assuming you have done this, because wireless isn't fussy about how many people are using it, if its not encrypted access to the router/modem.

On your computer, there may be a physical switch to disable its wireless function (but remember to switch it on later).

Not being familiar with the UPC modem, I don't know if there is a switch. I know mine (non UPC) has an on-off switch on the modem, but my separate wireless router has none.

Why do you want to switch if off, and what would be the problem with unplugging the power supply?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't have UPC, but if you have a combined modem and wireless router and only want to turn off the wireless, then you connect to the modem admin console (normally http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1) and there should be an option somewhere to turn off the wireless.

However most people don't really need to do that, if you explain what you are trying to do or why you want to do it, then perhaps we can give a better option.

Obviously the other posters only read the 2nd half of your post.
    nope, we read the whole thing, it was just very vague and non-specific. he's asking a different question now. he originally asked if he should just unplug it to turn it off when he's not using it. now he's asking how to switch the wireless off without unplugging it which is not the same question.

he's being very vague, probably not on purpose, but vague questions beget vague answers. :rolleyes:

UPC have supplied at least two totally different models of wireless routers and we don't even know which one he has yet. BUT, i'm feeling helpful tonight, despite a lack of information, so I'll do the noble thing and cover both bases.

if it's the white netgear one (the WGR614) then you'd need to do it from the webUI as there are no external buttons on it other than a reset switch as far as I can see on the boxed one I have sitting on a shelf here. THIS will tell you what you need to know if this is the router you have, but if you want to re-enable it you'll need to connect to it using an ethernet cable to get back into the webUI to do that as your wireless will be disabled and there's no buttons.

if you have the newer cisco (EPC2425) one then you may be able to get into the webui on that and disable the wireless there.

there's a thread with the relevant info for that HERE

If you have the separate wireless router it is much simpler to simply plug it out (if you are not using it as an ethernet router) than to be constantly accessing the router to turn the wireless on and off.

dub45 wrote: »
    If you have the separate wireless router it is much simpler to simply plug it out (if you are not using it as an ethernet router) than to be constantly accessing the router to turn the wireless on and off.
    or buy one with a wireless on/off switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jerry A

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry about being vague, its a new area for me, being a little older. Its the cisco one...I realised that I just want to turn it off the wireless and use cable instead, I dont like the idea of having the wireless on 24/7. I dont use it much and its only myself who uses it in the house.

• Advertisement

In fairness to yourself it is probably a question that a lot of upc customers will be asking (lots of money for the 1550 number!:rolleyes:) Either because they do not want to use the wireless or because they have their own wireless set up already.

My Father got 10Mb UPC today, Its the new Cisco Combo, I and my dad are very impressed with it.

Cisco Modem/router, Great :D Cant go wrong with the Network leaders.

Installer was great, Took about 15 Mins.

Already had a fiddle with the Settings :)

You can simple Disable Access point in the Wireless > Basic Section and thats the end of your problems.

I changed the SSID but it does indeed put UPC in front of whatever you type. No Biggie.

Speeds all around the house Wireless are the full 10Mb, old mans impressed, phone works flawlessly too.

Can see alot of ISPs in cable areas getting a good run for there money.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dermotp

Cisk,
    i have the new router combo since last tuesday 10mb also not at all impressed with this router highest speed so far 5.25mb,also router has lost internet connection 2 or 3 times,did you change any settings on the router to get the 10mb speed,i am only using 1 desktop,any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement