Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Playstation 3 V's XBox 360

Options
  • 24-07-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering as I am looking for a new games console.

Playstation 3 or Xbox 360.

Not sure if this was asked before.

Thanks,

Ro

Sony PS 3 Or Xbox 360 54 votes

Sony PS 3
    0% 0 votes
    Xbox 360
    100% 54 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ronaneire wrote: »
    Not sure if this was asked before.
    I'm pretty sure it has been asked a dozen times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

And you'll probably get biased votes since this is in the PS forum.

(One of which is from me :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Sony 720 Xbox is out next month, save your money for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    And you'll probably get biased votes since this is in the PS forum.

(One of which is from me :D)

Lol, I could of posted in the Xbox forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Nintendo Wii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ronaneire wrote: »
    Lol, I could of posted in the Xbox forum ;)

Or in the games forum even.

The debate has raged since the dawn of games consoles and it won't end here. Conclusively, your best bet is to decide what you like more. Will Gran Turismo suit over Forza, Killzone over Halo and Uncharted over Gears of War?

Downloadable games like Castle Crashers are coming to PSN, but it offers things like Wipeout and Super Stardust exclusively anyway. XBL has it's exclusive offerings too.

Everything else is on both consoles anyway.

The PS3 is a heck of a lot quieter, and plays blu-ray, while the 360's noise can be compensated for by being cheaper. They both output via HDMI now anyway so that's not an argument.

It's really personal preference. Mine? PS3. The exclusives are better IMO, but I'm self-served by the fact that I also own a 360. Any multi-platform titles I'll buy on the PS3 for the most part because it's a quieter console, plus I've always had Playstations so there's a certain brand loyalty there.

The ultimate answer is up to you. It's your preference. It's like asking if blue or red are better colours. Everyone will have a different opinion, but ultimately you are the only one who can choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Sony 720 Xbox is out next month, save your money for that.

Was thinking more along the lines of an atari

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

what, no Jaguar option?

I'm declaring shenanigans..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not a question that can be answered via a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

To be totally honest to all the xbox fanboys that say XBL is the sh1t...You are wrong, it sucks ass compared to PSN...As for which console I would go the ps3, I have both consoles and the arcade games on 360 kick ass so maybe get a 60 gb 360 if you have enough...

• Advertisement

Graphics and Gameplay i will give to the Xbox as its much better.
    PS3 system has free online play and is a more reliable system

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Xbox, for Burnout, otherwise the Wii. The Wii is great craic.

Dude, look at what games you'll want to get, and get the console which has most of those games.

Graphics and Gameplay i will give to the Xbox as its much better.

I cannot believe I've just read that. You do realise good gameplay has absolutely nothing to do with a games console? Also, the PS3 is considerably more powerful then the 360. It's up to developers to take advantage of it.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Xbox, for Burnout, otherwise the Wii. The Wii is great craic.

Burnout is on PS3 too. And the Wii isn't part of the debate, but it really is a consolation prize after the 360/PS3. I have one since launch and it's been in a bag with 4 games for over a year now. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I too am biased towards the ps3 but for the reason my Xbox broke down more times than I care to remember.

They are (or should be) far more reliable these days but for me my PS3 is the winner.

It's got great games, excellent games for download, it's got an upgradeable Hard Drive, and most important for me....free online gameplay

Don't get me wrong, I liked my xbox...when it worked

BUT

I love my PS3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Moved to Games forum where hopefully you'll get a more balanced view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

I own both and each machine has its good points.

The 360 noise problem is sorted. I bought the elite with the 120g hard drive so just load the games to the hardrive. No issues with the ps3.

The free online Sony service compared to the 11 cent a day xbox service if you know where to buy them. I would say xbox live is miles ahead of psn in content,freebies and ease of use so its value for your money.

Blueray. Massive advantage for Sony here. No contest unless your house is allready littered with dvd's etc. The upgrades to your blueray player is also great as many of the cheaper players dont have this.High Deinition movies can be downloaded onto your 360 but the loading times are a pain in the arse.

Reliability- The older 360's had loads of problems with the dreaded 3rr but it does not seem as bad now. I had this twice in 3 years but not had any problems with the elite. I have the old console just incase. The ps3 is more robust and looks better built. Having said that i had to take mine back with disk loading issues but it was a one off.

Most important- Games. The 360 exclusives are way better than the ps3's. Its really a no contest. In my opinion the ps3 still has still to match GOW and thats 3odd years old. I feel a lot of the big sony releases where disapointing. Big Little Planet and Killzone just never suited me.

Make your own mind up. If your into your films get the ps3 if you want just a gaming machine the 360.

Whatever you go for take advantage of the older games on either format rather than spending a fortune on the latest games. Can pick up games like Bioshock for 15 euro you cant lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I cannot believe I've just read that. You do realise good gameplay has absolutely nothing to do with a games console? Also, the PS3 is considerably more powerful then the 360. It's up to developers to take advantage of it.

thats not entirely accurate, graphically the xbox has better specs than the ps3, and the cell whilst having more cores runs on risc architecture, with not all of the cores being equal

nearly all technical reviews tend to put the two systems about equal

also blu ray is a bit of a non starter imo, its just a stepping stone until the next technology appears in 2-3 years, there are already a few formats in development which far outperform it to work with the new hd standard which is also in development, also ill be damned if im gonna buy my dvd movie collection again in blu ray

indough wrote: »
    also ill be damned if im gonna buy my dvd movie collection again in blu ray

You don't have to, the PS3 upscales dvd's. I thought everybody knew this by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

upscaling doesnt mean it magically makes dvd's output blu ray quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Also, the PS3 is considerably more powerful then the 360. It's up to developers to take advantage of it.

Burnout is on PS3 too. And the Wii isn't part of the debate, but it really is a consolation prize after the 360/PS3. I have one since launch and it's been in a bag with 4 games for over a year now. Waste of time.

You're why Sony marketing probably got paid their bonus this year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

OK gonna cut this short and sweet - xbox 360 as gameplay is better, graphics are better, exclusives are better, controllers are better suited to westerners hands ie they are not tiny suited to jap market! all i will say is gears of war 1 and 2 WOW ps3 cant compete!

although 360 has had probs with rrod seems to be much improved now!!

also ps3 has its own probs and they are expensive to fix unlike xbox!

and if you are planning to use a ps3 as a blue ray player just remember the drive wont last mine didnt and thats why i have a 360 now;)

anyways best of luck with this but make your own decisions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The Nintendo Wii

Having been a huge fan of both the snes and the N64, Nintendo
    has lost their edge with the wii.

We need more games like conkers bad fur day, Goldeneye, Mario 64.
    Not 'wii fit' ffs. What happended to the good developers?

Nintendo needs to sign on talent and also bring their in house stuff up
    to scratch.

Anyway, PS3 ftw.

OK gonna cut this short and sweet - xbox 360 as gameplay is better, graphics are better, exclusives are better, controllers are better suited to westerners hands ie they are not tiny suited to jap market! all i will say is gears of war 1 and 2 WOW ps3 cant compete!

although 360 has had probs with rrod seems to be much improved now!!

also ps3 has its own probs and they are expensive to fix unlike xbox!

and if you are planning to use a ps3 as a blue ray player just remember the drive wont last mine didnt and thats why i have a 360 now;)

anyways best of luck with this but make your own decisions!!

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

i have all 3 consoles and i prefer the 360 based on the exclusives it has. i prefer halo and gears over killzone which i got bored of after awhile but i will say that the ps3 has some great ones like uncharted and mgs4. i only use my ps3 for exclusives and buy multi format games for my 360 to add to my collection of games for it. if i was you i would decide on which exclusives you want to play more.

as for the wii lets not talk about that waste of technology.. been sittin in the box about a month after it got released.

No, but it improves your existing DVDs. Wasn't your point that you didn't want to have to buy your dvd collection again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ask Kev, he knows the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

And the next technology will display your movies in HD? Do you like to contradict yourself much?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Really its all up to your personal preference in terms of Games.

I tend to buy most Multi-platform games on the xbox as I tend to be a bit of a cheese-mint whore.

I will say this though, the graphics on the ps3 do seem quite a bit darker or something.. anyone else feel this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

When this poll was in the 'Playstation' forum, the PS3 was winning by a margin of about 1.3 to 1... Since it has been moved to the 'Games' forum, Xbox 360 is now winning by about 1.3 to 1... Just an interesting (factual) observation.

While I'd like to think I'm not biased, I probably am... My sig would be the giveaway. Buy the console most of your friends own... I read that here once and it struck me as being solid advice (provided you want to play online;))

• Advertisement

i have all 3 consoles and i prefer the 360 based on the exclusives it has. i prefer halo and gears over killzone which i got bored of after awhile but i will say that the ps3 has some great ones like uncharted and mgs4. i only use my ps3 for exclusives and buy multi format games for my 360 to add to my collection of games for it. if i was you i would decide on which exclusives you want to play more.

as for the wii lets not talk about that waste of technology.. been sittin in the box about a month after it got released.

You're in the same boat as me. Except my preference is the PS3. My original argument here was to pick the one with the exclusives you prefer and go from there.
    also blu ray is a bit of a non starter imo, its just a stepping stone until the next technology appears in 2-3 years, there are already a few formats in development which far outperform it to work with the new hd standard which is also in development, also ill be damned if im gonna buy my dvd movie collection again in blu ray

Blu-Ray is apparently doing grand at the moment. A few good offers at Christmas will probably launch it into the common household.

I think the fear of re-buying stuff is gone, now that it's fairly common knowledge that most Blu-Ray players will upscale your old stuff nicely.
    A-Trak wrote: »
    You're why Sony marketing probably got paid their bonus this year....

Probably. But before you go brandishing your "fanboi LAWL" stick I would go back and read my original argument which was to pick the console with the exclusives you prefer. I own all the consoles. I prefer the PS3. Done deal. I don't see why that constantly brings out the "UR OPONION DUSNT COUNT CUZ UR A FANBOI" crap. Preferring one console over the other is fine. When people argue megadrive vs. SNES it doesn't get as much crap as xbox vs. playstation.

Advertisement