Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting problems in Waterford

Options
  • 16-07-2009 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

i was renting through book a room, moved out three weeks ago. the inspection was done on the day, and the girl even rang me to say thanks for leaving the place so clean and tidy. i paid the esb closing bill as soon as i got it, and posted a copy of it to book a room, they have now had it two weeks.

but no sign of my deposit.

i have made 6 phonecalls to them, everytime soemone promises to get back to me within the day, but they never have.

im getting very annoyed now.

what can i do?

i live in galway now, so calling in person is not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

sam34 wrote: »
    i was renting through book a room, moved out three weeks ago. the inspection was done on the day, and the girl even rang me to say thanks for leaving the place so clean and tidy. i paid the esb closing bill as soon as i got it, and posted a copy of it to book a room, they have now had it two weeks.

but no sign of my deposit.

i have made 6 phonecalls to them, everytime soemone promises to get back to me within the day, but they never have.

im getting very annoyed now.

what can i do?

i live in galway now, so calling in person is not an option.

Myself and the girlfriend had a kind of opposite problem with them, where we had no problem getting our deposit back from them but had a few issues regarding the closing ESB bill(long story).

anyway they just transferred the deposit back into my account it seems strange they can't do the same for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

they told me they would transfer it as soon as they got proof teh esb was paid and closed off, but im still waiting.

its really frustrating.

if it was the other way around and i owed them €750, i doubt theyd be happy to wait around this long for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

god don't get me started on them. I'd say just keep ringing every day morning and evening.

well, an update on this
    its now four weeks since i moved out, three weeks since they have had the proof of esb bill paid

still no deposit!!

i have now made 12 phonecalls, and anm getting the same crap "x is dealing with it, i'll get her to phone you back" but of course she doesnt

last week someone from there phoned, saying she was doing the inspection, and queried smoke damage to the ceiling - firstly, there had already been an inspection done on teh day i moved out, so they evidently lost the record of this and had to do another one, and secondly, the smoke damage has been caused by faulty radiators, which i had reported and they sent their own maintenance man out to fix, so they should have had that on record. incompetent!!

anyway, that girl told me monday of this week that the cheque would be in tuesday's post - clearly just lies, as it hasnt arrived.

she has been "out of the office" anytime ive phoned back this week.

what can i do??
    its totally ridiculous at this stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill move this over to a forum with the right people to help you out of this siutation. :)

(Mods; Hope this is the right forum!)

• Advertisement

a further update of sorts - finally got through to the girl dealing with it today, who told me that the landlady has the deposit, not the letting agency, and that the landlady isnt answering her phone, so they cant get it off her.

does this sound right to people?

i thought the whole point of using a letting agency was that they would look after all this stuff, not the landlady?

it's not my fault they cant get in touch with her. i fulfilled all my obligations, left the apartment cleaner and tidier than i got it. should they have to give me the deposit back out of their account and then chase her up for it themselves?

the girl in the office actually said to me "there wont be any hassle, you'll definitely get it back" - wtf?? firstly, there has been three weeks and numerous phonecalls worth of hassle. secondly, it's my money and i'm entitled to it back so it's not like she's doing me a favour. and thirdly, it's her job to sort this out!

their mission statement on their website ststes they want to make it a pleasant experience for customers to deal with them - well, theyre failing miserably in that.

at this stage i dont know what to do. the PRTB will take forever. in any event, i odnt think they registered the tenancy, as i never got a letter from the PRTB stating that they did. i have left avoicemail on the managers phone asking her to ring me, but if the behaviour of the staff is reflective of hers then i wont hold my breath.

is a solicitors letter my only realistic option at this stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭draven3410

had they signed a contract? A friend of mine had a landlord try to keep the deposit without a contract being signed and he reported the landlord. Landlord was ordered to pay it all back. If they signed the contract tho, you can decide what to do with it.

i looked at the contract i have, its signed by me but not the landlord.
    not sure if teh letting agency have a copy signed by teh landlord.

Advertisement