Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a new shower

Options
  • 24-07-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Here is some information which is in general not passed out by shower sales representatives.

Electric element showers pumped or non pumped.

Expensive running costs, susceptible to damage from limescale. An un known life span depending on water quality and the amount of use. Noisy to use. Ascetics (looks) are dependent on price range. The flow rate is dependent on temperature of cold supply and temperature setting to shower head. Based on a quick Google search of 3 leading manufactures. Flow rates form 4ltr to 6ltr per minute. Guarantees from 1 to 3 years.

Pumped or power showers.

Less running costs compared to an electric element shower. Susceptible to damage from limescale. An un known life span depending on water quality and amount of use. Noisy to use. Ascetics (looks) are dependent on price range. Flow rates are dependent on price range. Based on a quick Google search of 3 leading manufactures. Flow rates from 6ltr to 15lt per minute. Guarantees from 1 to 3 years.

Thermostatic cartridge shower mixing valves.

No electrical running costs. Can be susceptible to damage from limescale. Thermostatic cartridge is sensitive to quality and temperature of water. Maintenance of the cartridge may be required. Ascetics (looks) are dependent on price range. Flow rates depended upon supply and shower head. Google search of 3 leading manufactures. Flow rates from 18ltr to 45ltr per minute with a pressurized supply 1.5 to 4 bar. Guarantees from 3 to 5 years.

Manual shower mixing valves.

No electrical running costs. Can be susceptible to damage from limescale but less susceptible than all of the above. Shower water temperature can vary while in use. Scalding risks from an un controlled hot water supply. Ascetics (looks) are dependent on price range. Flow rates depended upon supply and shower head. Google search of 3 leading manufactures. Flow rates from 18ltr to 45ltr per minute with a pressurized supply 1.5 to 4 bar. Guarantees from 3 to 5 years.

Shower heads. Flexible hose with adjustable rail.

Quality and ascetics (looks) are dependent on price range. Might become blocked, loose, damaged, broken, kinked. Might require replacements and shower head cleaning.

Shower heads. Fixed.

Quality and ascetics (looks) are dependent on price range. No height adjustment available. Shower head might require unblocking.

I have taken the time to write this up as I feel a shower is an important area within a household, for some it is the most and you should be made aware of all the factors. I am providing this information based on over 10 qualified years in the plumbing industry backed up by a Google search on the main manufactures specifications.

My Ideal shower would be a double outlet thermostatic cartridge shower mixing valve with pressurized supply. Fixed head with a small hand set for hair washing etc.

This alternative to me is best as it minimizes all the disadvantages you see listed above and in general will outlast electric/power showers. It will deliver a powerful shower similar to those you have experienced in top Hotels.

This system can be installed in both new build and retro fit shower replacements. There may be some other additions within your plumbing system to facilitate a shower of this performance. These additions are best discussed on site with your qualified plumber.

Advertisement