Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone care to fill in the gaps

Options
  • 24-07-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3
    172 euro

DVD Drive:LG GH22NS40/NS30 bare schwarz SATA II
    24 euro

HDD:Samsung HD103UJ 1TB 32MB SATA II
    70 euro

Mo Bo:Socket AM3 - DDR3 Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P, ATX
    104 euro

GPU:XFX RADEON HD 4890 1GB DDR5 PCI-E 2.0
    154 euro

Im thinking the above will be some of the main parts I will go for. Im buying from www2.hardwareversand.de

Any comments on the above choices would be great. A list of the best options for the rest of the hardware required would also be great (RAM, Graphics Card etc).

I have a 32inch 1080p tv to display the screen. So I will be looking for a good graphics card also. My budget is around 800 euro for the build. I will be getting them to build it using the PC Configurator. If you could point out any good deals on the website that I cant see would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Good going so far. Only the case, PSU and memory are missing.

If you want to OC that beast of a CPU (and why not? It is a BE!) you'll need at least an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, and preferably a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or better, to deal with the massive heat output.

OCZ's low-latency DDR3-12800 is back in stock on HWVS for the next five minutes so have a peek. CL7... at 1600MHz! a 4GB kit only costs €67 so it's a flippin' good deal while it lasts :D

PSU is a bit trickier, as there are no good deals on non-dodgy 550W models until you're past the €70 mark, at which point a basic but very good Antec EA650W is a far better deal for ~€75. If you want to get a second HD4890 further down the line though do yourself a favour and get the Corsair TX750W now.

Case is also tricky, as its hugely subjective... you could just about get away with a CM330 for under €30 but for a 125W+ CPU I'd recommend something with a bit more airflow. The CM590/600/690 are all in the €50-70 band with the Antec 300, but while the Coolermasters are better they also require you to buy more of the fannage! The high-end cases start off with the CM HAF922 (Mini-HAF) which is under €90 but benefits from great ergonomics and massive airflow, thanks to the fact that two of its three 200mm fans come as standard ;)

Even with the S1283, EA650 and the HAF you're talking ~€760, or €790 inc. shipping. Only thing that will drive you overbudget is getting a high-end case and a decent 750W PSU for CrossFire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Version 2.0

172 euro

24 euro

70 euro

104 euro

154 euro
    Solitaires Suggestions

Fans: Xigmatek Dark Knight HDT-S1283 Heatpipe Cooler 120mm
    39 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25705&agid=669

RAM: 4GB-Kit DDR3 OCZ PC12800 Platinum Edition CL7
    70 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22886&agid=1010

PSU: Corsair TX750W 750 Watt
    102 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=18776&agid=240

Case: Coolermaster HAF Mini 922M ohne Netzteil
    89 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=26910&agid=631

What about the regular S1283? It may not be as bling-y but the silly LED fan on the Dark Knight is noisier than the stock fan - and for the "privilige" of added noise you have to pay nearly twice the price of the original! :mad:

Decided on case/PSU yet? ;)

172 euro

24 euro

70 euro

104 euro

154 euro

CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK
    RAM: 4GB-Kit DDR3 OCZ PC12800 Platinum Edition CL7
    70 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22886&agid=1010

POSSIBLE REPLACEMENT
    4096MB Kingston HyperX-Kit DDR3 1600 CL9
    79 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=24487&agid=1010

PSU: Corsair TX750W 750 Watt
    102 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=18776&agid=240

Case: Coolermaster HAF Mini 922M ohne Netzteil
    89 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=26910&agid=631

Version 3.0 changes lol
    Fans: Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Sockel 939/AM2,775
    24 euro
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1VRq-FkhCCAWAY/articledetail.jsp?aid=19338&agid=669

Total: 807 euro + 20 euro to build it + 30 euro for delivery

Thanks for your help Solitaire. Do you see anything else? Will all the above be compatible? Is anything else required for hardwareversand to build this for me?

• Advertisement

Aargh, knew it'd happen! That stuff never stays in stock for more than five minutes at a time! :rolleyes:

Well, high-end CL7 DDR3 for less than €70 is a bit of a steal... :D

I was going to say cut your losses and go for the GeIL Value 1333MHz kit for under €60, but now its up to €64, which is pricier than the 1333MHz version of OCZ's CL7 kit! There is supposed to be some fresh stock coming in early next week...

Only other low-latency DDR3 kit is the ultra-low-latency Reaper kit (CL6!) but that's over €100... :rolleyes:

All those options are 1333MHz... don't worry, AM3 doesn't even recognise 1600MHz DDR3 so its all about lowering those latencies!

I will wait till next week and see if the stock comes back in. I signed myself up for the email alert if that RAM comes back in. I suppose we will bring this thread back to life when that happens. Or if anyone sees another excellent option.

@Solitaire

I saw your post on another thread. I was thinking if I could improve my build with a few of the parts.

Basically I have the following questions.

How much better is the i-core 7 intel processor vrs my processor

Anything else on that list which would improve my build significantly without moving the budget up massively.

Is the 6gb-kit g-skill ddr3 pc1333 CLR7 as good as the OCZ equivalent. Or should I wait till that comes in. Thanks

Depends on how much hardcore number-crunching you do, as few apps (and even fewer games) outside the business/enterprise sector can actually tax the i7 enough to make it a recommended buy. See the mess you made out of your budget? :D If you don't need that level of overkill then getting an i7 is like paying an extra €200 for Grade C Bragging Rights, which is cold comfort when you're said amount out of pocket :o

Besides, if anything the case is a bit worse (and a bit cheaper, even with the fan)

• Advertisement

I agree on the processor. What about the RAM though? Do you think it would be worth having 6GB for windows 7 64bit

Certainly. Although 4GB is cheaper and not too far off the pace (Win7 is a bit more efficient than its predecessor! ;)) In any case you need dual-channel (thus 4GB) for AM2+/AM3 and triple-channel (thus 6GB) for X58. Simples! *squawk* :D

LOL so I would have to get a different Mother Board so. I get ya. My budget is getting fairly flexible haha.

i7 - X58 mobo, triple-channel DDR3 (can only take low-voltage parts; 1.5-1.65V)

Phenom2 - AM3 mobo, dual-channel DDR3 (1.5-2.1V)
    OR AM2 mobo, dual-channel DDR2 (1.8-2.4V)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gonzales24

first i would wait a litle bit.. end of year there will be new stuff from amd and intel... second... there is no option from amd that beats the same product from intel speceally when u OC... but when u going for the amd.. ok.
    the best am3 board checked is MSI 790FX-GD70
    the cards... after all test the hd 4890 is good, but the geforce GTX 275 is just better... and u get on top CUDA and PysiX. of corse when u go for the dragon platform u stick to amd-ati.
    with the cpu cooler... Go for a MUGEN-2 or tITAN FENRIR..there really good and give u planty room for OC.

Unless you urgently need RAID5 or CrossFire the 790** boards are total overkill when a 770 will do just as well (they are, after all, just 790FX with said luxuries removed. They're not old or crippled stock). Someone reviewed the MSI 770-C45 and said it was made of win (if you don't need RAID5 or CrossFire, that is) :P

And the stock cooler will do in an emergency (just compare what AMD think of as a stock cooler to that [CENSORED] from Intel!); Komplett don't have the best AM2/AM3 cooler bargains IMHO - no cheap AC Freezer 64Pro (one of about five 92mm coolers I'd trust with an OCd 125W CPU) and no stock Xiggy S1283 (only the blinged-up DK - more money for more noise!). Who'd want a Fenrir anyway? Mugen 2 is just as good and darn quiet to boot. The only reason the Fenrir doesn't suck is because it has super-high-wattage noisemakers jammed on either end :P

Gonzales24 wrote: »
    the cards... after all test the hd 4890 is good, but the geforce GTX 275 is just better... and u get on top CUDA and PysiX. of corse when u go for the dragon platform u stick to amd-ati.

They seem very similar http://techreport.com/articles.x/16681/13

cronos wrote: »

its better, because it goes sma price, same performance.. but +CUDA+PysiX.. ;)

He probably fell for the much-maligned (nVidia-sponsored) hatchet-job HD4890 "review" on Toms. Plenty of other websites begged to differ... the stock HD4890 is very close to the GTX275 and thrash it pricewise; typically the HD4890OC matches the GTX275 and is still cheaper.

EDIT: Gonzales24, please find me a GTX275 for €150 or less, otherwise your opinion kinda falls apart. I advocate CUDA, but find very few people need it, and even fewer want it. As for PhysX... pah! Is there any non-cack game that gets much of a boost from it? The only use anyone's ever found for PhysX is pointlessly rigging Vantage scores bogoff.gif

Solitaire wrote: »
    He probably fell for the much-maligned (nVidia-sponsored) hatchet-job HD4890 "review" on Toms. Plenty of other websites begged to differ... the stock HD4890 is very close to the GTX275 and thrash it pricewise; typically the HD4890OC matches the GTX275 and is still cheaper.

EDIT: Gonzales24, please find me a GTX275 for €150 or less, otherwise your opinion kinda falls apart. I advocate CUDA, but find very few people need it, and even fewer want it. As for PhysX... pah! Is there any non-cack game that gets much of a boost from it? The only use anyone's ever found for PhysX is pointlessly rigging Vantage scores bogoff.gif

next few days will follow a comparison between the HD4890 and the GTX275... ok see ya..

u can get one in uk for 189,- euro

• Advertisement

Gonzales24 wrote:
    ure the most pessemist person i know in this forum..

lol.gif

Sorry.

Just.

lol.gif
    for u everything is crap..

No...
    hd 4890 is a great card.. but the gtx275 has more bang for bug...

Given a 20%+ price premium? Its not a bad card. Its a good card. ATi had it beat for VfM for a long while. And if you don't need PhysX/CUDA it still is.
    so when u just want to put another negative comment, so turn 2 around ureself, and hope for a lightnig striking ure house..

lol.gif

I must admit, this is the first time a fanboi threatened me with a Divine Intervention roflmao.gif
    otherewice grow up and put serios answers for people whoo need them..
    when u dont have anything productive to say... so keep it for urself..

Y'see, while I'm 26 years old flames like this do not bring out my mature side nana.gif
    u can get one in uk for 189,- euro

Oh my God! You said something that's actually relevant! Now if you'd only posted that bit, and nothing else, I'd have been happy and would have thanked you for putting me straight (I thought they were all still over €200) but instead you've kicked off a flame war, so me and a few others here will giggle at you until you get tiresome and/or have a bout of teh potty-mouths (or simply fling another death-threat my way) at which point a certain moderator will, regrettably, have to become involved. Sorry about that.

Gonzales24 wrote: »
    so when u just want to put another negative comment, so turn 2 around ureself, and hope for a lightnig striking ure house.. :)

O Dear :P

though in all seriousness you did bring up the idea of crossfire which is something I had not though of. So thanks for that.

I think suggesting a lightening strike hitting someone who is giving up their free time to help someone is a little OTT. I would be saying the same if someone had said it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gonzales banned for 2 weeks for unwarranted aggression. If you want to argue the merits and cons to any particular hardware you can do so far more constructively and maturely...
    ure the most pessemist person i know in this forum.. for u everything is crap.. th thing is.. if u can afford to change every quater ure hardware, so do it... when u look at the gtx 275 u look at the future... not everyone is going to change his video so regulary to be every time on the top. cheaper is not allways better... hd 4890 is a great card.. but the gtx275 has more bang for bug... so when u just want to put another negative comment, so turn 2 around ureself, and hope for a lightnig striking ure house.. otherewice grow up and put serios answers for people whoo need them..
    when u dont have anything productive to say... so keep it for urself..

Solitaire is one of the, if not the top, contributors to this forum on a daily basis. His replies are helpful and normally - always? - extremely comprehensive....where you can justify 'for u everything is crap' and 'grow up and put serious answers for people who need them' is beyond me. All I can see here is solid advice being attacked in a very immature fashion...we can do without that attitude around here thanks.

Plus...no-ones arguing the GTX275 is a generally better card but that performance comes at a premium. When you break it down per euro, the GTX275 is definitely not more bang per buck...as an overall package, you can generally get an OC edition 4890 with solid 3rd party cooling for the same price or more likely, a lesser price than a stock GTX275...not to mention the better connectivity options on nearly all 4890's.

Gonzales banned for 2 weeks for unwarranted aggression. If you want to argue the merits and cons to any particular hardware you can do so far more constructively and maturely...

Solitaire is one of the, if not the top, contributors to this forum on a daily basis. His replies are helpful and normally - always? - extremely comprehensive....where you can justify 'for u everything is crap' and 'grow up and put serious answers for people who need them' is beyond me. All I can see here is solid advice being attacked in a very immature fashion...we can do without that attitude around here thanks.

Plus...no-ones arguing the GTX275 is a generally better card but that performance comes at a premium. When you break it down per euro, the GTX275 is definitely not more bang per buck...as an overall package, you can generally get an OC edition 4890 with solid 3rd party cooling for the same price or more likely, a lesser price than a stock GTX275...not to mention the better connectivity options on nearly all 4890's.

+1 for Solitaire

Kinda embarrased now... didn't mean to be quite that harsh in the reply to Gonzales but I was a bit taken aback by his, uh, vehemence :o Surprised you didn't edit my post a bit more Terror, kinda deserved it but I don't know where to start editing it myself. That post... kinda blindsided me, so my reaction was a bit too instinctive :o

Stupid thing was he did give a useful bit of info as well. If he'd held back a bit I'd have been clicking his Thanks button on that post instead... ugone2far.gif

I wonder are those parts in yet. I will have to check today at some point. Would nice to get my build together for around the 900 euro mark total. including delivery and them building it for me.

Advertisement