Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we a bunch of wimps?

• 24-07-2009 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

In our lifetime, nobody has had to go to war, nobody has had to worry about getting eaten by wild animals. Nobody has to feel the tinkle of rain on their head every night when they sleep, and risk unnecessary death from sickness or disease. You probably don't even have cancer.

These are things that humans throughout time (and still now) have had to cope with, and yet here we are acting like it's the end of the world because there's a recession on.

So you lost your job, and you're on the dole. The DOLE! In any other period in history, you'd just die, and so the state keeps you in food and shelter. Yeah, times are hard and it's gone well past simply not being able to afford nice things, but keeping a roof over your head.

But you know what, you have a safety net. You'll never be homeless, you'll never die unnessecarily, your kids won't starve. You just may not get to live the live you're used to.

So what? HTFU people - times are hard, but it could be worse (and fwiw, i'm not saying this cos I'm safe - i'm scared out of my wits about my future. But hey, others have had it worse)

Enjoy life people ... it only happens once x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:

Speak for yourself pilgrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

davyjose wrote: »
    You'll never be homeless, you'll never die unnessecarily, your kids won't starve.

That just shows how completely ignorant you are to a lot of people's plight in the country right now; people are becoming homeless (I personally know of two), if you have ever watched the news, or picked up the newspaper, you would know that people do die unnecessarily. every. single. day.

Try growing up and have a look at the real world.

And despite all thats going on I do love life and enjoy every second of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Poor auld Nobody had a pretty shitty life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Gee mister!, thanks a lot! Now I feel a whole lot better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

+1 OP. I for one pray for the day when this construct they call 'society' is destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Poor auld Nobody had a pretty shitty life!!

Less of the "auld" you cheeky monkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Re: OP

No, we're clever. :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You probably don't even have cancer.

I know, sure my auld pair used to get to walk to school in the snow, barefoot and perpetually bald with the cancer. :rolleyes:

Re: OP

No, we're clever. :):):)

Too clever for our own good.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We are so damn complacent, it's hard to get feckers up off their arses to protest locally/nationally - never mind go to war. :(

We have it far too easy.

• Advertisement

I know, sure my auld pair used to get to walk to school in the snow, barefoot and perpetually bald with the cancer. :rolleyes:

Mine had to that, and they had to walk so far, they were too old for school by the time they got there.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

In our lifetime, nobody has had to go to war, nobody has had to worry about getting eaten by wild animals. Nobody has to feel the tinkle of rain on their head every night when they sleep, and risk unnecessary death from sickness or disease. You probably don't even have cancer.

These are things that humans throughout time (and still now) have had to cope with, and yet here we are acting like it's the end of the world because there's a recession on.

So you lost your job, and you're on the dole. The DOLE! In any other period in history, you'd just die, and so the state keeps you in food and shelter. Yeah, times are hard and it's gone well past simply not being able to afford nice things, but keeping a roof over your head.

But you know what, you have a safety net. You'll never be homeless, you'll never die unnessecarily, your kids won't starve. You just may not get to live the live you're used to.

So what? HTFU people - times are hard, but it could be worse (and fwiw, i'm not saying this cos I'm safe - i'm scared out of my wits about my future. But hey, others have had it worse)

Enjoy life people ... it only happens once x

Your hat obviously wasn't stolen last night then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Try growing up and have a look at the real world.
    Eh no, I think you should take your own advice. Because we are humans does not mean we are not subject to some really horrible stuff - because there's a recession on does not mean times are horrible for us.

And the people you speak of. YES, they are not wimps - they DO have problems, THOSE are problems. Not like the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

speak for yourself.......
    there is a base instinct in all of us to survive thats how all species progress or become extinct.....i think we are doing ok

and i'd stand on anybody's head in the race to go forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Well there are plenty of wimps in After Hours anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Eh no, I think you should take your own advice. Because we are humans does not mean we are not subject to some really horrible stuff - because there's a recession on does not mean times are horrible for us.

And the people you speak of. YES, they are not wimps - they DO have problems, THOSE are problems. Not like the rest of us.

HUMANITIES >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

In our lifetime, nobody has had to go to war, starve.

2 wars on at the moment,join up if you feel it will make a man out of you.

Not like the rest of us eh? How do you know these people aren't one of us? Are you privy to my life? or to everyone else on boards for that matter?

If you met someone who had been really hit by the recession (and I'm not talking about people not being able to afford a skiing holiday this year), but people who have lost a job they held down for 30 years, wife leaves them because they can't afford to pay the bills and takes the kids with her, and are now homeless you might, just might, realise that the recession does mean horrible times.
    But clearly you haven't experienced what this recession has really done to some people.

Dub13 wrote: »

I repeat NO ONE HERE HAS HAD TO GO TO WAR. Is what you said somehow linked?

Not like the rest of us eh? How do you know these people aren't one of us? Are you privy to my life? or to everyone else on boards for that matter?

If you met someone who had been really hit by the recession (and I'm not talking about people not being able to afford a skiing holiday this year), but people who have lost a job they held down for 30 years, wife leaves them because they can't afford to pay the bills and takes the kids with her, and are now homeless you might, just might, realise that the recession does mean horrible times.
    But clearly you haven't experienced what this recession has really done to some people.

I'm just saying it could be a hell of a lot worse, and if you have the time, or means, to reply to this then yeah, it could get a hell of a lot worse for you too.

We are not the first humans to suffer. And to many that have suffered, this doesn't come close. I find it ironic you suggest I'm ignorant TBH.

• Advertisement

You clearly have a very short memory.

EDIT: or are too young and haven't been around very long.

In our states history no one has ever had to go to war.So your point about todays youth somehow been wimps because they don't have to go to war is wrong.

I'm just saying it could be a hell of a lot worse, and if you have the time, or means, to reply to this then yeah, it could get a hell of a lot worse for you too.

Really now? Do you know where I am? Or under what circumstances I have the "means" to reply to this?
    I find it ironic you suggest I'm ignorant TBH.

I'm glad you find it ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Dub13 wrote: »

How do I apply for the Taliban? :pac:

You clearly have a very short memory.

EDIT: or are too young and haven't been around very long.

What exactly is your problem with my post?

With me saying that most people are going through some bad times, but nothing compared to the pain other's have endured?

What exactly is your problem with my post?

With me saying that most people are going through some bad times, but nothing compared to the pain other's have endured?

I will admit that I don't have much of a problem with the war part, I retract that.
    I do, however, have a problem with you calling people wimps.

But hey, each to their own. Freedom of speech and all that.

Good luck.

I'm glad you find it ironic.

You are? Good on ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Biggins wrote: »
    We are so damn complacent, it's hard to get feckers up off their arses to protest locally/nationally - never mind go to war. :(

We have it far too easy.

Why the sad face?

I honestly cannot believe that people are complaining that people don't have to go to war if they don't want to.

I do, however, have a problem with you calling people wimps.

let me introduce to to the question mark === ?

• Advertisement

let me introduce to to the question mark === ?

Well yes, calling. I would consider questioning as to whether people are wimps, and then backing up that question as calling, or at least asserting.

But doesn't really matter, you have your view and I have mine. I don't care much for changing your opinion so more discussion on this matter is pointless.

Good day to you.

Poccington wrote: »
    I honestly cannot believe that people are complaining that people don't have to go to war if they don't want to.

Playstation soldiers,after a while playing Call of Duty they are all for war.

Advertisement