Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom to BT.

Options
  • 24-07-2009 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

If I switch from eircom to BT do I need to change my netopia box at the back, that I had gotten from eircom or can any company use the same equipment? Do I have to change any internal ip address as well to make the switch or is it relatively uncomplicated? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All you need to change is the username and password, that you will set with BT when you sign up. Everything else stays the same.

BT will send you a modem too, and they won't support the Netopia, but there's little can go wrong, and you can probably sort most things yourself.

There's always Boards too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 twobockganeoush

Much appreciated. In relation to bt sending me a modem ,will my netopia one continue to work when I make the switch as I will need the net and it might take days to arrive? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

you might not have any downtime at all

when I changed provider to BT I ordered online (to get the free router)
    on the activation date I was online via my previous ISP when I got a text msg telling me the BT had gone active

put the bt user / pass in a spare router & was online

for pig iron I reconnected the old router with the old isp details & it went online too.

strange this, afaik you can't have 2 different providers on the same phone line concurrently :confused:

anyway, if you want to use the netopia as soon as the BT is active just change the user/pass.
    not sure if eircom have the router locked to prevent use with another isp??

the bt router should be the 2110 voyager which I have had no probs with since I got it. it will prob arrive on the day the service goes live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52321862&postcount=3

Should be all you need, follow the simple details when the switch from eircom to BT is made. god bless spongebob saved me €50 :)

In related news, BT is making a partnership with Vodafone So i think the broadband service may be from Vodafone in the future :confused:

Advertisement