Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can steel nuts be used with alloys??

• 24-07-2009 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

got new alloys. can i use the original steels nuts that were on my car already???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

plego wrote: »
    got new alloys. can i use the original steels nuts that were on my car already???

should be able to, ive done it many a time.
    but still invest in a set of lock nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 plego

thanks for the reply..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

NO i have alloys spare is steel and comes with its own set of nuts get the proper nuts wher ever you got the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

plego wrote: »

Its probably not correct to use original nuts if the alloys are aftermarket rims but would probably not be a problem if you wer upgrading to the manufacturers original alloys I'd imagine. I've done it with both original manufacturer alloys after changing from steel wheels and aftermarket alloys after changing from steel wheels and it hasn't being a problem. Never being an issue for NCT either.

Having said that though best to be safe rather than sorry if you are unsure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mp22 wrote: »
    NO i have alloys spare is steel and comes with its own set of nuts get the proper nuts wher ever you got the wheels

whay do you say no? what do you mean the proper nuts??
    the proper nuts, with the correct bore and thread depth are the ones that came with the car in the first place.

the only reason people dont use them is because sometimes the OEM nuts are plain black steel and look odd against the shiney new alloy wheel. you can buy chrome/shiney nuts if you wish or if the alloys have a clip on centre cap you dont see the nuts either way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

put a nut for a steel wheel and one for a alloy side by side you might notice that the alloy nut has a larger contact patch to fit up to the wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

No, they are different. Look inside the alloy and its curved where the nut meets it. People use them but shouldnt, it could eat through the wheel and come off as the alloy nuts are made for alloy and tapered for it because alloy is a much softer metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It depends entirely on the alloy whether the old ones will fit properly or not.

Advertisement