Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring

• 24-07-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

would anyone know how to wire this flat panel antenna-i am trying to wire it back to a range extender. is it normal co ax?
    thanks in advance

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25542

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I would say using screened coax and standard F-Connectors.. Some radio use BNC but this is a screw terminal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

thanks -much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The connector is "N" type, not F or BNC. You need a male "N" connector for the antenna. This needs to suit the cable you choose as the diameter of cable is different depending on type.

You need 50 ohm coax. Depending on length, you may get away with rg58 (short runs) or rg213 although you will lose some signal in the cable. Off the top of my head, you lose about 50% of the power over 10 meters of rg213. This may not be an issue if you have line of sight. There are better grades of cable but may not be nesessary.

At the extender end, you may need a "pigtale". This is an adapter to convert the N type connector to SMA which is the most common type of wireless connector.

Unless you get the cable made up for you, you will need to be handy with a soldering iron..

In a nutshell, usually its an "N" type male plug on one end (antenna) and an "N" type female on the other end of the cable. The pigtale (usually a 1 ft cable but can be longer) is an "N" type male to SMA female (extender). Check first what type of connector is on the extender as it may not be SMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

thanks for the reply-obviously more difficult than i imagined.

Advertisement