Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP s escaping under the rip off redar

Options
  • 24-07-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I was with my GP recently and was charged €50 for the priviledge.The visit lasted approx 10 minutes. On that estimate they would take in about €12000/week or €600000 a year. Not a bad little earner would everbody agree:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

bogview wrote: »
    I was with my GP recently and was charged €50 for the priviledge.The visit lasted approx 10 minutes. On that estimate they would take in about €12000/week or €600000 a year. Not a bad little earner would everbody agree:o

Especially when you consider GP surgeries run themselves with no overheads and no staff.......oh wait, no, they are a business just like any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Svalbard wrote: »
    Especially when you consider GP surgeries run themselves with no overheads and no staff.......oh wait, no, they are a business just like any other.

Poor devils with those overheads so huge, they can barely afford to live on the meagre pittance that they shovel into the back of their Mercs.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I guess the major problem here is that there are not enough medical places in college. If you want to fix the health service triple the number of places and let them compete for your business instead of rent seeking which they seem to do at the moment

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bogview

Svalbard wrote: »

no not business racketeering club with respectability.........sitting there like al capones :pwith their little hands out for the money:mad::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

no not business racketeering club with respectability.........sitting there like al capones :pwith their little hands out for the money:mad::eek:

You really haven't got a clue.

If you're so smart, why don't you go to med school and become a GP earning "€600,000 per year" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    You really haven't got a clue.

If you're so smart, why don't you go to med school and become a GP earning "€600,000 per year" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its not just been smart .......If you listen to eddie hobbs boy you will hear that most business are taking a wolliping of somewhere in the region of 15/25% if GPs come clean and make a 15/25% price reducing effort all will be ok in paradise again......are you a GP or what? fair play tho is all thats wanted:eek::eek:

Yeah of course i'm a doctor.

Do you know what "Overheads" are? Educate yourself.

P.S I don't hear anyone demanding hairdressers drop their prices. Last time I got a haircut in Dublin it cost me 60 euro for half an hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

GPs are a rip off. I also think its due to a lack of competition. The situation is similar to that of pharmacies, dentists, barristers and other traditional professions.

E50 seems to be the going rate. I'd imagine theres a lot of people out there who have put off going to see a gp due to the high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

P.S I don't hear anyone demanding hairdressers drop their prices. Last time I got a haircut in Dublin it cost me 60 euro for half an hours work.

Every business has over heads, thats no excuse. Not every business is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Some GPs have high overheads but some have relatively little.
    2 of my local GPs have their surgeries attached to their homes and their wives run their appointment books answer the phones etc.

The logic of 12000 a week is flawed though. Some appointments might take 10 minutes and some might take 30 so usually they give 20 mins per appointment (neither of my local GPs do walk in surgery, it's all by appointment unless urgent where you'll get bumped up the list) so alllowing for lunch and a break in the morning and afternoon would mean a 9 to 5 surgery COULD earn 900 quid. That's assuming no-one cancels their appointment at the last minute and that's before tax, professional insurance & overheads !

I don't begrudge the cost of my GP as I only go there when I'm really unwell and so it's money well spent !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Very simplistic way of overestimating a GPs gross revenue before they have to pay for insurance, rent, receptionist fees, subscriptions, income tax etc there OP.

Also interesting timing of this thread with An Bord Snip suggesting further cuts to medical card holders :rolleyes:

it was mental to pay that for a hair cut I pay €12 and am considering cutting my own in future to inflict further savings.......have to get real Doc were not all raking it in o/h or not

time I got a haircut in Dublin it cost me 60 euro for half an hours work.

Mine cost me €10. I think you should start another forum thread.:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Mine cost me €10. I think you should start another forum thread.:eek:

I am a woman. €50-70 is the going rate for female haircuts in Dublin.

I am a woman. €50-70 is the going rate for female haircuts in Dublin.

Whoops..........................................:D

My abject apologies.:o

Whoops..........................................:D

My abject apologies.:o

Woman or no woman shure its mental to give that for any sort of hair cut Shur Id cut yours and mine for the half of it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Woman or no woman shure its mental to give that for any sort of hair cut Shur Id cut yours and mine for the half of it :P

Hmmmm Bogview?

Sure is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Some GPs have high overheads but some have relatively little.
    2 of my local GPs have their surgeries attached to their homes and their wives run their appointment books answer the phones etc.
    Do you expect their partners to work for nothing? When you add up the costs of having a full-time competent administrator who can be trusted not to blab about patient's affairs it adds a reasonable few quid onto the cost of your visit.

Having a surgery attached to their home isn't as simple as it sounds either. By running their business from what is effectively part of their home they become liable for capital gains tax on that portion of the building in the event that they sell it.

That said, I think that GPs vary in the value for money they give and that some do seem to like getting repeat visits out of their clients where they're not strictly necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

There is no doubt that Irish doctors are grossly overpaid. Another job with huge barriers to entry.

Do you expect their partners to work for nothing? When you add up the costs of having a full-time competent administrator who can be trusted not to blab about patient's affairs it adds a reasonable few quid onto the cost of your visit.

Having a surgery attached to their home isn't as simple as it sounds either. By running their business from what is effectively part of their home they become liable for capital gains tax on that portion of the building in the event that they sell it.

That said, I think that GPs vary in the value for money they give and that some do seem to like getting repeat visits out of their clients where they're not strictly necessary.

Come back and see me when your ok is what my GP usually says......and of course (unsaid) have 50 with you ..............Hmm is right:confused:

• Advertisement

There is no doubt that Irish doctors are grossly overpaid. Another job with huge barriers to entry.

What "barriers to entry"? Not being intelligent enough/ not getting enough points in your leaving? That's a "barrier to entry" now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Have too GP's in the area, and one is after dropping the price down to €35 which is pretty reasonable, the other one is still €50 (used to be €90 and this is a rural area!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

What "barriers to entry"? Not being intelligent enough/ not getting enough points in your leaving? That's a "barrier to entry" now? :confused:

No, the deliberate shortage of medical school places.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You have to ask - what would be a reasonable number of points to have the academic ability to complete the course v what are the actual points? any difference would imply a shortage of places and a shortage there is.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

What kind of bowl do you use?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Peter Marks have had 20% discount on all hairdressing services the last two months.

Difference is, people may need the doctor they don't need to get a haircut (or well a good one).

I paid €50 the other day for a doctor's visit. The girl who went in 2 slots ahead of me only paid €40. What's the deal there?

Larianne wrote: »
    Peter Marks have had 20% discount on all hairdressing services the last two months.

Difference is, people may need the doctor they don't need to get a haircut (or well a good one).

I paid €50 the other day for a doctor's visit. The girl who went in 2 slots ahead of me only paid €40. What's the deal there?

Perhaps she'd been a recent regular visitor, leading the GP to having pangs of guilt over the amount of money he had amassed as a result of her ailment.

Perhaps she'd been a recent regular visitor, leading the GP to having pangs of guilt over the amount of money he had amassed as a result of her ailment.

Im afraid your unfortunatly wrong there.........GPs dont do guilt!:eek:

Thats what I call progress...get a bit of competition into the biz and thatll cut out all the waffle about point etc. The only points im interested is a few good creamy pints of guinness on a Friday NIGHT!

• Advertisement

baztard wrote: »
    GPs are a rip off. I also think its due to a lack of competition. The situation is similar to that of pharmacies, dentists, barristers and other traditional professions.

E50 seems to be the going rate. I'd imagine theres a lot of people out there who have put off going to see a gp due to the high price.
    dentists are a pure joke alltogether.....just travel north for about a third of the price

Advertisement