Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Capital is now an Alpha- World City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

**** yeah! Up yours Poznan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm guessing this is something strange even though he's on my ignore list now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Looks about right to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Confab wrote: »

Why am I on your ignore list?:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He wants to know why he's on your ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Anyways, is this an important thingy, like is Stephen gone or at least leaving or something?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

He wants to know why he's on your ignore list.

That big rant about a certain country a few days ago. Anyway, back to whatever this thread is about. Sorry about that Dr. B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

galwayrush wrote: »
    Anyways, is this an important thingy, like is Stephen gone or at least leaving or something?:rolleyes:

Nah mate, I'm still here.

:confused:

That big rant about a certain country a few days ago. Madness. Anyway, back to whatever it is about thread. Sorry about that Dr. B.

:confused: lol - which country would this be? pfffft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Belfast is in the same catagorey as New Orleans. They'll like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Cork got Alpha +++

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Nah mate, I'm still here.

:confused:

Stephen, AH's name for the recession.;)

There is a seperate list for villages like Cork somewhere:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

cant follow that does it mean dublin is a dirty smelly overpriced pig sty with rampant unemployment and racist ignorant inhabitants run by corrupt political dinosaurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

we beat the Germans woohoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Los Angeles is Beta? Doesn't sound right, LA is my lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

soundsham wrote: »
    cant follow that does it mean dublin is a dirty smelly overpriced pig sty with rampant unemployment and racist ignorant inhabitants run by corrupt political dinosaurs

It means we're a moderatly sized cog in sprawling antediluvian machine which serves no purpose.

Los Angeles is Beta? Doesn't sound right, LA is my lady.

Have you been to LA recently? If you think Dublin's economic situation is bad.....think again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

darkman2 wrote: »
    Have you been to LA recently? If you think Dublin's economic situation is bad.....think again.

Yabbut Hollywood alone should ensure it's Aplha +.

Yabbut Hollywood alone should ensure it's Aplha +.

Hollywood is miniscule (allbeit rich) in relation to greater LA and Orange county. I was there earlier this year and the scale of the crisis there really put's here in perspective. Estate after estate of repocessed houses...entire areas where communities have been made homeless pretty much overnight. That does not happen here - at least not yet. We may see the scale of their crisis here soon enough but I bloody well hope not. California can't even borrow anymore - it has to issue IOU's now just to keep afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

LA is a scary shithole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How did Dublin rank so highly based on these Characteristics? Were the other cities that bad?

1.International, first-name familiarity; whereby a city is recognized without the need for a political subdivision. For example, although there are numerous cities and other political entities with the name Paris or variations on it, one would say "Paris", not "Paris, France".
    What a stupid characteristic to judge a city because people dont confuse Dublin, Ireland with Dublin, Ohio its a super city. Far enough Dublin is well known
    2.Active influence on and participation in international events and world affairs; for example, Washington, Berlin, Brussels are major capitals of influential nations or unions.
    Not really
    3.A fairly large population (the centre of a metropolitan area with a population of at least one million, typically several million).
    Barely over 1 million
    4.A major international airport that serves as an established hub for several international airlines.
    Kerry and Knock have international airports that are better run than Dublin airport
    5.An advanced transportation system that includes several highways and/or a large mass transit network offering multiple modes of transportation (rapid transit, light rail, regional rail, ferry, or bus).
    The Luas, Dublin Bus and the Dart, top notch public transport right there
    6.In the West, several international cultures and communities (such as a Chinatown, a Little Italy, a Tehrangeles or other immigrant communities); for example, New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto, Chicago, San Francisco, São Paulo and Vancouver. In other parts of the world, cities which attract large foreign businesses and related expatriate communities; for example, Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Singapore and Tokyo.
    LOL
    7.International financial institutions, law firms, corporate headquarters, international conglomerates, and stock exchanges (for example the World Bank, or the New York Stock Exchange) that have influence over the world economy.
    Google is the only big company i can think off that has headquarters in Dublin
    8.An advanced communications infrastructure on which modern trans-national corporations rely, such as fiberoptics, Wi-Fi networks, cellular phone services, and other high-speed lines of communications. For example, Seoul and Tokyo are known as the digital and technology capitals of the world.
    http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/Images/commentarynews/broadbandspeedchart.jpg we are losing to Slovakia and Hungary
    9.World-renowned cultural institutions, such as museums and universities.
    The book of Kells and...
    10.A lively cultural scene, including film festivals (such as the Berlinale or the Toronto International Film Festival), premieres, a thriving music or theatre scene (for example, West End theatre and Broadway); an orchestra, an opera company, art galleries, and street performers.
    Culture = 6.60 pints. Street Performers...do pick pockets and physical assaults count?
    11.Several powerful and influential media outlets with an international reach, such as the BBC, Reuters, The New York Times, or Agence France-Presse.
    RTE and Irish Times world powers in media?
    12. A strong sporting community, including major sports facilities, home teams in major league sports, and the ability and historical experience to host international sporting events such as the Olympic Games, Football World Cup, or Grand Slam tennis events.
    1x 80,000 seater stadium that only hosts local sports. Home teams in major league sports...do Bohs count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

13. Slip the commette 50 quid to get on the list.
    yep

Hazys wrote: »
    How did Dublin rank so highly based on these Characteristics? Were the other cities that bad?

They obviously have their reasons. Irish people seem to always want to do down Dublin but that aside they would be looking at Dublin - not as in only Co Dublin - but the Greater Dublin Area so that would automatically render a number of those points baseless.

Fact is they rank it up that high for a reason and they presumably know what they are doing and have good reasons for giving marks to each city based on their criteria.

Knock airport is not trying to cater for 24 million passengers btw with one terminal whilst a new one is under construction. Chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Hi, Is cork anywhere on that list? My eyesight aint the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

its funny that this thread appears on the same day as the "Do the Irish have an inferiority" thread ( not worth visiting that one, by the way).

Hi, Is cork anywhere on that list? My eyesight aint the best.

No, no other Irish city, except Belfast, which is near the bottom is on the list. Just click on the image once to increase it's size....

They obviously have their reasons. Irish people seem to always want to do down Dublin but that aside they would be looking at Dublin - not as in only Co Dublin - but the Greater Dublin Area so that would automatically render a number of those points baseless.

Fact is they rank it up that high for a reason and they presumably know what they are doing and have good reasons for giving marks to each city based on their criteria.

Knock airport is not trying to cater for 24 million passengers btw with one terminal whilst a new one is under construction. Chalk and cheese.

Again Dublin Airport is small scale (and poorly run at that size) on an International stage. 24m :rolleyes: try 90million passengers in Atlanta. Dublin doesnt appear in the below lists:

http://www.aci.aero/aci/aci/file/Press%20Releases/2009/PR_160309_PrelimResults_2008_final.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/Images/commentarynews/broadbandspeedchart.jpg

If we take eircom out of that equation we'd be up with Iceland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

:confused: lol - which country would this be? pfffft

He wants to know which country/thread.

Hazys wrote: »
    Again Dublin Airport is small scale (and poorly run at that size) on an International stage. 24m :rolleyes: try 90million passengers in Atlanta. Dublin doesnt appear in the below lists:

http://www.aci.aero/aci/aci/file/Press%20Releases/2009/PR_160309_PrelimResults_2008_final.pdf

It is still the busiest airport in these islands outside of Heathrow and one of Europe's busiest - how can you compare Knock with Dublin Airport? Look at the expansion that is going on at the airport. It may take a few years to fill but it won't be long once the upturn comes before it is handling 35 million and needs a 3rd terminal. They should have a shiny underground out there by 2015 aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

How accurate is this list? Personally i wouldn't consider Dublin a global city..more a city on the social and economic periphery of Europe.

This reminds me of the total amazement in Ireland when it was designated the best country in the world ( by the Economist), and the total amazement in America that it wasn't.

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    How accurate is this list? Personally i wouldn't consider Dublin a global city..more a city on the social and economic periphery of Europe.

Bah - typical we are only Irish attitude. I happen to think of Dublin as a vibrant European Capital City with alot going for it in the future. Sure, things are bad now, but I wish Irish people would take at least a bit of pride in something sometimes. The self loathing annoys me sometimes.

Of course there is alot wrong with Dublin. But when I see it on a list like that I think "that's actually a respectable achievement" - then the culchie begrudgers have to come in and have their say. For all it's problems Im proud of the city though many things annoy me about it. But then what city on the planet does not have many of the same problems Dublin does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

so london is the most important city in the world, yeah right, but then it is a uk website so not too surprising

• Advertisement

For all it's problems Im proud of the city though many things annoy me about it. But then what city on the planet does not have many of the same problems Dublin does?

The bigger the city the bigger the problems.

It is still the busiest airport in these islands outside of Heathrow and one of Europe's busiest - how can you compare Knock with Dublin Airport? Look at the expansion that is going on at the airport. It may take a few years to fill but it won't be long once the upturn comes before it is handling 35 million and needs a 3rd terminal. They should have a shiny underground out there by 2015 aswell.

The only point I'm making is Dublin is 24th on the list based on these characteristics. IMO Dublin would struggle to be in the top 30 in most categories. Taking Dublin airport as an example i dont think Dublin airport would be consider Top 50 in the world not to mention top 25.

At a stretch Dublin would be a top 10 well known city. I wouldn't be suprised tho if a fair majority of people Asia or Africa have never heard of Dublin.

Political Influence, dont really know maybe top 25

With a population of 1 million wouldn't be in the Top 100

Airport not in top 50

Transport wouldnt be in the top 50

International cultures living in Dublin, not in the top 50

A buiness center of the world would be top 50.

A quick sample of broadband speeds shows were behind Slovakia and Hungary, but overall technology wise id say top 25

Musesums, colleges top 25 i doubt

Dublin is a very active city but its generally only one activity, i'll let you guess which one.

Media Influence, certainly not top 25

Sporting facilities and Sporting teams. Dublins single 80,000 seater stadium is filled only 3/4 times a year, Landsdowne 20 times a year, small in comparison to cites with professional soccer teams and american cities with professional teams. Not top 25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Whoever compiled this list must be on some sort of super crack. Dublin better than, San Fran? Berlin? Munich? Boston?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

banquo wrote: »
    Belfast is in the same catagorey as New Orleans. They'll like that.

New Orleans sure as hell wont :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Bah - typical we are only Irish attitude. I happen to think of Dublin as a vibrant European Capital City with alot going for it in the future. Sure, things are bad now, but I wish Irish people would take at least a bit of pride in something sometimes. The self loathing annoys me sometimes.

Of course there is alot wrong with Dublin. But when I see it on a list like that I think "that's actually a respectable achievement" - then the culchie begrudgers have to come in and have their say. For all it's problems Im proud of the city though many things annoy me about it. But then what city on the planet does not have many of the same problems Dublin does?

I couldn't agree more with this. I feel unclean now.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's a dirty old town.

Thanks to people like me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

1.International, first-name familiarity; whereby a city is recognized without the need for a political subdivision. For example, although there are numerous cities and other political entities with the name Paris or variations on it, one would say "Paris", not "Paris, France".

Maybe in the western world....

2.Active influence on and participation in international events and world affairs; for example, Washington, Berlin, Brussels are major capitals of influential nations or unions.

As part of the EU - rotating Presidency? Maybe smaller events too.

3.A fairly large population (the centre of a metropolitan area with a population of at least one million, typically several million).

Just about

4.A major international airport that serves as an established hub for several international airlines.

On that criteria - yes

5.An advanced transportation system that includes several highways and/or a large mass transit network offering multiple modes of transportation (rapid transit, light rail, regional rail, ferry, or bus).

Do we have those? Yes......to an extent. Advanced? Not a chance.

6.In the West, several international cultures and communities (such as a Chinatown, a Little Italy, a Tehrangeles or other immigrant communities); for example, New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto, Chicago, San Francisco, São Paulo and Vancouver. In other parts of the world, cities which attract large foreign businesses and related expatriate communities; for example, Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Singapore and Tokyo.

No...not really

7.International financial institutions, law firms, corporate headquarters, international conglomerates, and stock exchanges (for example the World Bank, or the New York Stock Exchange) that have influence over the world economy.

European headquarters for Google, Microsoft, HP, PayPal. IFSC etc

8.An advanced communications infrastructure on which modern trans-national corporations rely, such as fiberoptics, Wi-Fi networks, cellular phone services, and other high-speed lines of communications.

Mobile networks. Yes. The rest....we're very far behind even rolling out NGN's.

9.World-renowned cultural institutions, such as museums and universities.

Yes

10.A lively cultural scene, including film festivals (such as the Berlinale or the Toronto International Film Festival), premieres, a thriving music or theatre scene (for example, West End theatre and Broadway); an orchestra, an opera company, art galleries, and street performers.

Getting better...though still too pub oriented. However fringe festivals, rock festivals etc would count.

11.Several powerful and influential media outlets with an international reach, such as the BBC, Reuters, The New York Times, or Agence France-Presse.

INM / Tony O'Reilly?

12. A strong sporting community, including major sports facilities, home teams in major league sports, and the ability and historical experience to host international sporting events such as the Olympic Games, Football World Cup, or Grand Slam tennis events.

International sporting events such as Ryder Cup etc. Uefa Cup in 2011. Rugby World Cup Matches a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Have we excelled ourselves again? Aren't we Irish just awesome with our awesomeness, and money and complete lack of humility or foresight.

What a super-perfect country we live in :rolleyes:

Aren't we Irish just awesome with our awesomeness, and money and complete lack of humility or foresight.

You do realise that this poll was an external non-irish poll, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

we beat the Germans woohoo
    It's because the Germans don't put all their pies onto one plate. Finance => Frankfurt, Politics => Berlin, Trade => Hamburg, Culture => Munich, etc. The German sum of the parts is easily greater than the Irish hell's whole that is Dublin.
    Hollywood is miniscule (allbeit rich) in relation to greater LA and Orange county. I was there earlier this year and the scale of the crisis there really put's here in perspective. Estate after estate of repocessed houses...entire areas where communities have been made homeless pretty much overnight.
    Wow exaggerate much?

Mumbai and Jakarta ranked higher than L.A. so your theory looks dubious. L.A. is not a business centre like NY or Chicago. Many of the studios that have operations there manage their finances from corporate HQs in N.Y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Take that East St. Louis!

asdasd wrote: »
    You do realise that this poll was an external non-irish poll, right?
    You do realise that doesn't provide exemption from it being WRONG, right?

You do realise that doesn't provide exemption from it being WRONG, right?

I was answering your "lack of humility" comment. I even boldified it. To make it obvious.

I'm nice, like that.

But then what city on the planet does not have many of the same problems Dublin does?

See, you've kinda contrdicted yourself by looking negatively at the situation. You're right, Dublin has all the negative aspects that a city such as London or NY have. But what it lacks are the amazing things. 1 on the list would be a World class public transport system. Ours is now worse than it was 3 years ago.

Dublin is not in the same league as London or NY, or Chicago, or Sydney. it just ISN'T. I can argue the point, or I can crack jokes about it - I prefer the latter.

asdasd wrote: »
    I was answering your "lack of humility" comment. I even boldified it. To make it obvious.

I'm nice, like that.

It doesn't mean we don't have an absence of humility asdasd. I don't quite get your point.

I will say this much, one of the few pleasures I've had in life is that I've got to see a decent bit of the world. To call Dublin -- much as i love it -- an Alpha World city, is hysterically wide of the mark. Yeah, it's a great place, but the centre of the Universe it ain't, peops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement