Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Eircom Troubles

Options
  • 24-07-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭

Hey guys a few months ago, everything was fine. Had 3mb connection and my ping was sound 50-60. Ever since I upgraded to 7mb connection, the service, suporrt and speeds of Eircom have been atrocious.

My last speed test
    524571984.png

I should be getting at least double that. I have terrible issues on Xbox Live too. NAT is configured correctly. What else can I do to make the connection for better for me?

EDIT: I am a 2minute walk from the Dooradoyle Exchange in Limerick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

1) I feel your pain
    2) I had the exact same problem (3 months now)
    3) The problem is Eircoms side but they wont admit to anything
    4) The only solution i found was to change ISPs. There was no immediate solution coming from Eircom as they couldnt give two ****s.

/edit

You wouldnt happen to be going through b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net would you? Thats where my problems are :/

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7484/packetloss.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Were in a contract for at least 6 months.. **** eircom and **** this ****ty nation's infrastructure

I agree completely, the best thing you can do is keep making complaints :/

You know you'll have to go through the whole nine yards though of their ****ty tech agents jewing up your time while they ask you to restart the router and then the weeks wait for the technician to tell you that your line is perfect and then the whole thing over again while they run you round in circles until you get tired of calling because they dont actually want to fix their problems.

Check my edit above

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can you give your line stats?

dub45 wrote: »
    Can you give your line stats?

below

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

Looks like you line is well capable of handling 3 mg but is not up to handling 7mg . If you get Eircom Broadband support to reduce the speed back to 3 mg you should be ok .

Your snr is a bit on the low side particularly as your attenuation is really good.

Have you checked your internal wiring? Is there any other stuff connected to the phone line in the house?

Filters are on properly. As i said everything was fine until the speed was increased. Might be a wireless channel issue?

miralize wrote: »
    Filters are on properly. As i said everything was fine until the speed was increased. Might be a wireless channel issue?

Its important to remember that a speed increase (and the one to 7 is quite significant) puts huge pressure on the line so any weakness anywhere is liable to show up. I have given the example where recently a friend of mine was having trouble since an Eircom upgrade (from 1 to 3) and I only accidentally discovered that he had an old extension in his bedroom. Simply removing the phone from that improved his snr by 20!

To establish your basic stats it really is worthing doing with everything else disconnected from the phone line and an ethernet connection to the router.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Did ye not look at the signal margin??

The line is fine for 7 mbps.

Either there's something wrong with your computer (viruses, malware etc.), a very unusual problem with your router not dealing with throughput very well (or you're connecting at 11 mbps or less), or eircom have messed up with contention in Limerick or with the equipment that your phone line is plugged into. (the DSLAM's line card that serves you)

You can rule out the pc by using another working one naturally. As it's affecting your X-box, it probably won't make a difference. If you got a lend of a modem temporarily off a friend (they could be BT/Voda/UTV customers either), that would rule out the modem. I'd like to point out here that Belkin have a poor track record in my experience, and from the experiences I've read here on boards.

If it's eircom acting the git, then asking for help and/or complaining is the only way to go.

Anyway, the best option for you now (IMO) is to try connecting PCs etc. with just a wired connection or else swap the router temporarily.

• Advertisement

it was probably something to do with the wireless channel & g+n , changed to just g and everythhing is ok

same problems tonight. what should i ask eircom for to reduce pings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

miralize wrote: »
    same problems tonight. what should i ask eircom for to reduce pings?
    Things looking good for me in Dublin now with Vodafone at home. premature "Hurrah!!"

or eircom have messed up with contention in Limerick or with the equipment that your phone line is plugged into.

He never responded to my post above; miralize are your pings going through b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net? Ping boards.ie and see.

Im in kerry and my connections go through this and i am getting 40-60% packet loss EVERY DAY from it. I know for a FACT theres nothing wrong my side but eircom are treating me like a spastic who cant turn on my computer and they wont ****ing look into it or sort it. I cant play ANY of my games because i get disconnected or kicked for high pings (auto-kicked when it spikes over 2k)

The tech support guys ive been talking to are complete and utter ****ING RETARDS but i cant exactly say "well where did you get your degree in computer science because i got mine in UCC and you're talking ****" because regardless of how ****e a service im getting and how **** im being treated; i dont want to be an arrogant **** and put some lad in the ****

Ive changed to Smart Telecom hoping that someone from eircom will ring me and ask why i changed (also hoping that smart telecom might be 1: better or 2: get eircom to do something if i complain enough)

I hate this country :(

yep my pings go through there.

I agree the technicians on the phone are the most useless ****ers ever. I had to disconnect everything, change routers, and reconnect everything again just because they dont support belkin routers. I'm sorry Eircom, but I'd rather use dial-up than use your ****ty modem again.

and they said they were going to check the exchange, and if they couldnt find anything wrong (besides the usual everything), they would call up to my house and charge me 100 to "fix the problem".

Its b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net thats causing the problems im sure. Other people in kerry that go through there are getting the same problems. You're the first person from Limerick that i know has the same problems.

Anyway; ive had 3 tickets and about 10 hours of phone conversations with Eircom and they arent going to fix it or even look into the issue so you're stuck with it unless you can get somewhere by complaining more than i did (which isnt possible)

Ill update you how smart goes when i get it in 3 weeks.

thanks but my idiot parents decided to instead upgrade from 3mb to 7mb adding a 6 or 12 month extension.. i have to find out which but either way.. I'm stuck

Complain that you arent getting the service you were promised and you'll get out of that easy enough. Say someone you talked to in sales promised you an amazing upgrade and all it has done is ruin your internet experience and you want compensation or a void contract.

The sad thing is ive been with Eircom for 8 years now on broadband and ive never had a problem. Even when i got upgraded to 7mb i never had a problem. Then 3 months ago BAM ****ty service. Then my first (and hopefully last) experience with Eircom tech support began.

Sometimes i wish we had a hitler to reign some dictatorship down on those ****ers. Char grilled Eircom Tech support ribs anyone?

Advertisement