Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Checks before purchasing a pup?

Options
  • 24-07-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Due to a very, very bad previous experience buying pedigree dogs, I recently asked a breeder if I could bring the pup for a vet check before we agreed to take him. The breeder agreed provided that we pay in full before taking the pup to our own vet and that if there was any health problems that we would get a full refund. The breeder did say that in all the years they never had this request before?

I am just wondering if anyone else has brought their pup to the vet for a full health check prior to absolute agreement to take the dog?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've never heard of it myself, but as the breeder is being very compliant with your request they sound good to me.

Usually with reputable breeders you can always return a pup if there's a major issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

Ya there was no problem but we were totally stung before and that was a very reputable dealer too, hence, why were are so cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Oh of course- I'm not saying don't be vigilant (I hope you reported the other breeder).

That's good that you can check the pup and bring it back for a refund if it's not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

To be honest, we were so devastated that we didn't even think. What happened was that we bought the pup (she was about 11 wks). When we brought her home we thought that she was really quiet and frightened. The follwowing day we thought she was a bit too quiet (lethargic, no interest in anything) so we brought her straight to the vet. It turned out she had a big hole in her heart, a deformity in her pelvis which they said would give her problems at about a year old and she also had a hernia which needed an immediate surgery. The vets final say was that he thought was that all that surgery and therapy would be too much for a young dog and that he thought the best option was that she should be put down. We were devastated. We ran rang the breeders and they said that they had no idea (but the vet said to us that he reckoned they must have known that there was something seriously wrong as the dog was so lethargic) and offered us our money back.

RIP molly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laceyl

Omg that was awful :( the poor poor dog, and you as well must have been devastated, yeah the vets right theres no way they could have not noticed something wrong. it makes me so angry.

Youre completely right being vigilant, its a very good idea what youre doing imo.

Just FYI, anyone considering getting one of these Labradoodles, heard from a friend who works in a vet that over the last month they have had 4 of them in all under a year with very bad hip dysplasia, 2 from same breeder, but the other 2 from different breeders. The designer pets are under such demand now that unfortunatley it seems the bad nreeding has started already :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement