Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bake! - RTE

Options
  • 24-07-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Rachel seems to have mastered the art of pronouncing "butter". Dough still remains "dewe" and, generally, vowels are murdered. Consonants get little better treatment - even people's names - David is Davittt.
    Recipes still look yam, all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I got the impression that series was filmed in England somewhere, as a lot of the places she visits and people she teaches baking to have an english accent, though maybe that was another series.

Sher d'owl axint, it int dat bad attawl. :P

I always get the munchies watching her baking, it does look seriously yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Oh dear holy mother of Jayzus. Please check out my posts re Michael Mc Mullen from TODAY FM as she gets on my tits just about as much as he does. She speaks with and utterly appalling mid-irish sea ( as opposed to mid-atlantic) accent. As I used to say about Dylan Moran I preferred him when he used to be Irish !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Her affected pronounciation wrecks my head.
    Almond is a breathy Nigella-esque "ahhhhlmahnd". It's like she is permanently using a "posh" voice for d'visitors :rolleyes:

Having said that, I do like her recipes, but her voice and posing puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I love watching cookery progs, but dear Rachel's accent is just so off-putting that I had to give up on Bake! One more 'yam' or soft 't' sound along with the supposedly cute/sexy poses, and the telly was going back to the shop.

Did enjoy listening to that Irish lady who was married to a French man (Deseine?). She actually didn't annoy me at all (amaze, amaze) and I managed to jot down a couple of good recipes. Nigella? Just plain scary :eek:

There, nothing like a good whinge on a wet Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Was thinking of experimenting with gewts cheese - Rachel made a nice tart tonight.

Are gewts somehow related to newts? Could one make a gewts cheese substitute by milking a newt and taking it from there?

Google tells me that newts are protected, so milking might be illegal. But I suppose if I wasn't actually caught in the act I'd be ok.

This programme has got me thinking - what about the animal they make King of Killorglin this time of year? Obviously he can't be milked but is he a gewt or a goat? And does he have newt cousins?

So many questions, so little time to cook.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Alright, we get it, Rachel Allen pronounces things oddly. We don't need several threads about it.

Threads merged, and don't start another thread like that denat.

Faith wrote: »
    Alright, we get it, Rachel Allen pronounces things oddly. We don't need several threads about it.

Threads merged, and don't start another thread like that denat.

"Please" would be a nice touch and I just noticed you're in a foreign country - we're now moderated from abroad?

5978 other posts from Faith here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=7876409

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You're administered from abroad too. Don't worry, we won't discriminate, we'll still let you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

i like rachel allen:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

She's very good, even if the accent is a bit overdone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

For years myself and my friend have called her The Meffin Lady after a particularly harrowing episode where she made muffins.

Meffin this, meffin that, couldn't concentrate on the food at all because her accent was annoying us so much.

You're administered from abroad too. Don't worry, we won't discriminate, we'll still let you post.

I'm not quite sure how "condescension" is defined but I think this comment from the sweeper must sum it up pretty well.

What's this "we" mentioned above?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Spadina wrote: »
    For years myself and my friend have called her The Meffin Lady after a particularly harrowing episode where she made muffins.

Meffin this, meffin that, couldn't concentrate on the food at all because her accent was annoying us so much.

AAAAAgh ... You've just set my teeth on edge again. But, hold on, could be 'meffin' is a new D4 swear word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

denat wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure how "condescension" is defined but I think this comment from the sweeper must sum it up pretty well.

What's this "we" mentioned above?

Condescension

Definition: [n] the trait of displaying arrogance by patronizing those considered inferior.

You do irony so well!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

denat wrote: »
    "Please" would be a nice touch and I just noticed you're in a foreign country - we're now moderated from abroad?

5978 other posts from Faith here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=7876409

denat, a moderator's location has no bearing on their moderating duties.

If want to continue this discussion then take it to the helpdesk. Any more of this type of carry on and you'll be taking a break from posting here.

This is not the first time you've started threads here on this subject. Don't start any more.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement