Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Improved Tesco Coming Tuesday

Options
  • 24-07-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

I was up at the Fairgreen this evening and i saw a sign saying Tesco will be closed Sunday & Monday IIRC and a 'New Improved' store will reopen on Tuesday. Are they finally going to start selling coke & hookers??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Nope just a slightly re-organized store, cheaper brands and many many price cuts. They'e been doign it all over the country. Bringing the 'border prices' to the rest of their shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Better tesco?!
    yeah right.

Moving crap around so it can't be found by regulars doesn't make it better!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh i was talking to a woman in tesco tonight, she was telling me about it,, theyd loads of stuff half price etc and will before they close to get rid of it. the fresh stuff anyhow

SV wrote: »
    Better tesco?!
    yeah right.

Moving crap around so it can't be found by regulars doesn't make it better!

where the family are in roscommon its changed already, my bro works in it and said its a big difference, even the mother said it for the weekly shop

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Getting all the English stuff on the shelves, Walls repalce HB etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

This "border prices on your doorstep" thing makes me laugh,if Tesco WERE serious, why not do this in all stores at the one time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This "border prices on your doorstep" thing makes me laugh,if Tesco WERE serious, why not do this in all stores at the one time?
    it is all just another trashsavers exercise to divert customers attention away from the ever increasing prices of items bought less often!

aldi/lidl will still be much cheaper and easier to shop in than any of the tesco's where the shop layout is designed to make customers spend more on stuff they dont want or need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    Getting all the English stuff on the shelves, Walls repalce HB etc.

Thye did it in newbridge last week and there are the same number of irish goods as there were before.

btw - HB & Walls are owned by unilever & all products except the hazelbrook farm range is made in mainland europe.

Jacobs biscuits are not made here any more & lyons tea hasn't been blended here for yonks.

expect about 20% off your grocery bills - pet food, olive oils, sauces all see big reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

foggy_lad wrote: »
    ... any of the tesco's where the shop layout is designed to make customers spend more on stuff they dont want or need!

all supermarkets are laid out in a similar way, not just tesco....its a marketing strategy also used by lidl and aldi!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nead21 wrote: »
    all supermarkets are laid out in a similar way, not just tesco....its a marketing strategy also used by lidl and aldi!
    There is a whole psychology on how shops should be laid out, special offers at the turn of the aisle,what goes at eye-level etc etc. As to Irish brands being removed, I read on the paper that Ballymaloe relish etc is gone from Tesco, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

Nead21 wrote: »

Yea, ever notice how the bread and milk are furthest from the door. Same in every store, not just tesco. They are the most common item but they want you to be tempted along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

in the UK the advertising standards authority ASA, have said ;their adverts comparing the cost of shopping against other supermarket chains were misleading, the advertising watch dog has ruled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

was in there last night and there are little price cut stickers everywhere but there are also serious price increases like pringles up from €1.79 to €1.85. generally i saw nothing that would entice me back to Tescos just another trashsavers exercise.

tescos have their own brand stuff which is on a par for quality with the stuff in lidl/aldi but is priced much higher, then they have the tesco value rubbish which is just awful whether you get a tin of hard tastless beans or the recycled toilet paper, these items are priced to match most of the aldi/lidl items but the quality is well below what the german discounters are offering!

i also notice that in tesco the milk is always e few days old! i got milk in lidl on saturday with a use by 5th of august and last night in tescos all their so called fresh milk was use by 5th of august and much of it was even older!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

I have to say i wasnt to impressed either ill stick to using it when i have to ,,but i wouldnt be rushing back.What i saved was nothing,,,i could have saved more in Ldil or Aldi ,,:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    I have to say i wasnt to impressed either ill stick to using it when i have to ,,but i wouldnt be rushing back.What i saved was nothing,,,i could have saved more in Ldil or Aldi ,,:mad:

Or dunnes! Find them better then tesco.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Worth noting that consumer surveys find in favour of Tesco rather then Dunnes. Dunnes own brand are also more expensive then Dunnes.

PS. How does one "recycle" toilet paper?! Cant say I like the thought of that tbh! :p

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Or dunnes! Find them better then tesco.

nah most of the stuff is gack in dunnes tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

I know the meats aren't great but I'm a lazy cook so the frozen food suits me grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

darc wrote: »
    Thye did it in newbridge last week and there are the same number of irish goods as there were before.

btw - HB & Walls are owned by unilever & all products except the hazelbrook farm range is made in mainland europe.

Jacobs biscuits are not made here any more & lyons tea hasn't been blended here for yonks.

expect about 20% off your grocery bills - pet food, olive oils, sauces all see big reductions.

I'm in Roscommon and some stuff is cheaper but most of the stuff is English one example is their "buy me im Irish" signs on all chickens but look on the packet and it has a UK stamp, they are born, raised and killed in the north. Not one Irish job all UK.
    Plus they are the same price as before just UK chickens instead of Irish. Thats just one product.

Advertisement