Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New NUIM paper/magazine

• 24-07-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Hello.

This year, the NUIMSU will produce a new paper/magazine in the place of that-crap-that-shall-not-be-named.

There are several people working on this. I am but one.

1. CONTRIBUTORS REQUIRED

I'm not going to tell you what to write. I'm not going to say ''We need someone to review films'', or something, and then when nobody hands anything up write a crappy review myself of nothing I've ever seen for the sake of filling space.

What's interesting to you?

Having said that, we do need people to write something for the following sections:

(i) Opinion and Comment.

500-1000 words on any mainstream (or not so mainstream) subject that affects students, either nationwide or NUIM-wide. Fees are a perfect example of the type of subject. Other similar candidates for this part of the paper would be: stuff the college is spending money on that you think is a waste; great improvements that you think the college has made; the gay marriage debate; general social and political topics.

(ii) Writers for a point/counterpoint section.

Each writer gets 500 to make their point, which is paired against another writer's counterpoint.

Here's a good, albeit satirical, example from The Onion:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/34216

(iii) Gonzo Journalism

In the style of Thompson, Bill Bryson, etc.

(iv) News Features

We need contributors who will write a 1,000 word (ish) article every month. They can choose to write on a subject they picked themselves or, if they can't pick/decide, one recommended to them. These will be on the subject of either (a) local news (b) NUIM News, for example the new lecture hall being constructed by JH, and (c) general Irish student news, for example fees, falling standards, whatever comes up.

(v) Writers to review bands comprised of NUIM students, and also interesting music that may not have gotten mainstream attention. My thanks to Norrdeth for his help and commitment thus far :D

(vi) Writers to send us budgeting tips, eating healthy tips, study tips, and all the useful things you can get your grubby little paws on.

The items listed here do not - not even a little - represent the full scope of the new NUIMSU publication. They are also subject to change in the event of lack of interest or Banquo suddenly forgetting how to use a computer.

(vii) In addition to these, All ideas, complaints, praises and submissions are welcome.

And if funky penguin could pull through with that promised pint then that also would be most welcome.

Anyone interested please drop me an email (not PM) at: robbbmm@gmail.com

*Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

banquo wrote:

And if funky penguin could pull through with that promised pint then that also would be most welcome.

When this new paper is published, one pint of Caulfield's best is yours my friend! :D

Any news on a name, or are you sticking with it-that-shall-not-be-named?

I'd be happy to help Norrdeth or write anything I suppose! Probably opening myself to a world of hurt with that.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Probably opening myself to a world of hurt with that.......

If you like being hunted down where you live and having 500 words extracted from you with a spoon, then magazine writer is absolutely the job for you.

Re the name, I cannot confirm nor deny anything. Mostly because it's not my call - I didn't win no election (*shakes fist*), but send all suggestions for contents and features to my email or else post them here.

What kinda stuff were you thinking, Funky? I can't imagine having the nickname funky penguin and not having some other stories worth hearing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Cover the college with advertisements too - make it as open a call for contributions as you can

Good call on the posters.

/clicks open InDesign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

We had a college magazine??

Seriously The Spoke was pure ****e, clearly strung together as an act of duty rather than putting serious effort in. Fair play for the reformation!

Oh, oh, and is this gonna be an actual newspaper? Because I fooking hate the feel of shiny paper :P:o

• Advertisement

It will be a magazine. Decent one though.

Well, I had the whole Choral Soc seating thing in mind. Two years in a row with empty seats when soc members were denied tickets in favour of presidential toffs - who never showed up.

Its something I want to sort out this year with the Music Soc committee, and a story in the newly refurbished college paper could only help! :)

banquo wrote: »
    It will be a magazine. Decent one though.

No bog roll?

Ah come on!! The recycled tesco value yellow pages made my days as a wee first year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I didn't win no election (*shakes fist*),

More's the pity I say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

How about a beginners crash course on journalism? It could be held at a weekend and all people who have claimed to be interested could attend. IN the past I've had ideas for articles but had no idea how to start or structure one. Even better would be an online tutorial that anyone could look at at any time of the year so that you wouldn't be stuck chasing the guys that went to the crash course.

• Advertisement

Beau wrote: »
    How about a beginners crash course on journalism? It could be held at a weekend and all people who have claimed to be interested could attend. IN the past I've had ideas for articles but had no idea how to start or structure one. Even better would be an online tutorial that anyone could look at at any time of the year so that you wouldn't be stuck chasing the guys that went to the crash course.

I've been asked to do an essay writing workshop if there's the demand. More details to follow. Online version is a priority though.

I'm thinking that it'd be great to have it as a kind of resource online for when you're at home trying to write an essay that's due. That and a citation guide for your dept (I.e. nuimsu.com -> resources -> citation guide -> music department -> the guide)

@Funky: I hate those officials who screw us over that way for the seats!

I've been asked to do an essay writing workshop if there's the demand. More details to follow. Online version is a priority though.

I'm thinking that it'd be great to have it as a kind of resource online for when you're at home trying to write an essay that's due. That and a citation guide for your dept (I.e. nuimsu.com -> resources -> citation guide -> music department -> the guide)

@Funky: I hate those officials who screw us over that way for the seats!

Have plenty of essay writing guidelines pre-written if you need.

I know I keep saying this but....I think it would be well worth getting in touch with DCU for a chat. Not for the content side of things, but for publicity, encouraging popular interest and managing contributions - they do it well.

efla wrote: »
    I know I keep saying this but....I think it would be well worth getting in touch with DCU for a chat. Not for the content side of things, but for publicity, encouraging popular interest and managing contributions - they do it well.

Not my call I'm afraid. I'll suggest it though, I've a few contacts in DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I'm very excited about this. Truthfully, and it may just be a nerdy thing, but I think a good solid college publication is part of 'the college identity'

When I think of an Irish University or College I can normally name their equivilent of The Roost and The Spoke. Last year I was reading other Unis papers more regularly than our own, which has to be a bad sign.

Cheers to Robert for putting the time in, I respect people that stay passionate about stuff even after elections, thats normally how you tell the bluffers from the people who actually want to change something. Bring on Issue 1, I'll be sure to send a few pieces over the year (...and would encourage others who see this as a great step in the right direction to do the same, play yo part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Very interesting, I have many thoughts on many things. I may write some of them down and email them to you someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

im considering sending in a few peices about the transition between being a student and being a professional, what i miss about college, how its changed etc, since i can see myself being unemployed for a good while after i graduate.

what say you to that?

im considering sending in a few peices about the transition between being a student and being a professional, what i miss about college, how its changed etc, since i can see myself being unemployed for a good while after i graduate.

what say you to that?

I say: how soon can you send me 500 words?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

:D Yeay. If you remember, I was one of the people giving out about the Voldermort publication (<_<) in the other topic a few weeks back, so I think it would be hypocritical for me to spend so long complaining and then not try and get involved when given the chance.

I'll be dropping you a line shortly :p

Also, we'll need a headshot of writers to put at the start of the article, a-la real publications. Also as an incentive. Fame and glory and all that.

Optional of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

Do you really want a point counterpoint section? Nothing is more dull imho than reading this type of piece - one person spouts their entrenched opinion, followed by completely the opposite entrenched opinion.

BTW if u are doing pieces on music then why not some reviews of gigs/concerts at the college. Should be easy enough to knock out a 3-400 worder on these.

• Advertisement

jane says wrote: »
    Do you really want a point counterpoint section? Nothing is more dull imho than reading this type of piece - one person spouts their entrenched opinion, followed by completely the opposite entrenched opinion.

I disagree completely! I find them enlightening and an absolute joy to read, here in my trench! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

jane says wrote: »

BTW if u are doing pieces on music then why not some reviews of gigs/concerts at the college. Should be easy enough to knock out a 3-400 worder on these.

Actually I thought that was one of the few good things that the ..... used to do. Didn't see it last year unfortunately.

I disagree completely! I find them enlightening and an absolute joy to read, here in my trench! :pac:

I agree with Penguin, though I find it does rely on who is writing it and their ability to make a point.

Yeh I hated that section in the ... to be honest.

I agree with Penguin, though I find it does rely on who is writing it and their ability to make a point.

I was kinda just making a joke, but I do agree with you. Like most thinks in journalism, it'll work if its written and edited well.

I was kinda just making a joke, but I do agree with you. Like most thinks in journalism, it'll work if its written and edited well.

Yeah, sarcasm doesn't work well online without a shifty eyes at the end of the post. <_<

I thought the pacman was enough! :D

It also doesn't help that I am blind >____________>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 InterStu55555

Think this is a great idea, every Uni should have a decent publication, hopefully a lot of people get involved and become passionate about it. I think a good music review section would be brilliant, reviewing local bands and gigs shouldn't be too difficult as I'm sure a lot of students have friends who are in bands or are in bands themselves and will jump at the opportunity to get a forum for their music. Also like the idea of giving exposure to alternative music.

Would be great if some budding journalists can try write some satirical pieces a la the late great Steve Wells and the Guardians Charlie Brooker, they're always very widely read cause they're invariably hilarious and irreverent, what every student aspires to be!!

• Advertisement

Would be great if some budding journalists can try write some satirical pieces a la the late great Steve Wells and the Guardians Charlie Brooker, they're always very widely read cause they're invariably hilarious and irreverent, what every student aspires to be!!

kitty-help-fix-computer.jpg

Fancy giving it a bash yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 InterStu55555

Sure I'll give it a bash!! Lets say 500 words?? I'll probably need about a week, I want to think of a subject worthy of a satirical treatment.

I'll forward it on to the email address you posted with some other details about myself. Peace!!

My email address is thestu1@hotmail.com

Sure I'll give it a bash!! Lets say 500 words?? I'll probably need about a week, I want to think of a subject worthy of a satirical treatment.

I'll forward it on to the email address you posted with some other details about myself. Peace!!

My email address is thestu1@hotmail.com

Responded :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I'd be well tempted to send something on at some point, might even stop the girlfriend from giving out to me for complaining about the quality of that piece of ****e and never trying to write something myself!
    Will have to crack open my writing brain, hasn't been used for years! :)

Norrdeth moved from music review to regular feature to let students know what to expect from a year studying abroad.

Music review job open. Funky, I'm looking at you!

An Irishman's Diary abroad? :D

Yeah, grand I'll do it. Live gigs and CDs is it?

• Advertisement

An Irishman's Diary abroad? :D

Yeah, grand I'll do it. Live gigs and CDs is it?

Super. Pint and discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm returning as a student this year so I'll do the one that lets me sleaze on celebrities? You are having a celeb gossip column right? OMG, lol

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I'm returning as a student this year so I'll do the one that lets me sleaze on celebrities? You are having a celeb gossip column right? OMG, lol

Heh. Anything serious? Like photos of lecturers leaving strip-clubs at 3 am? ;)

Won't be in Maynooth till very early September, or very late August.

If i'm there before hand, I'll let you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Heh. Anything serious? Like photos of lecturers leaving strip-clubs at 3 am? ;)

Yeh, that sort of stuff. Lots of stories about rooiiidddinn and the like.

• Advertisement

In a slight change of tack this year, we're asking people what they want to read. Threw together a quick survey:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDJIbUdCcFNBM25WMjdReHRvaHRlNWc6MA..

Google Docs ftw. (Not a word, Beau :D)

If you give a damn, please take a minute. You don't get to complain next year otherwise ;)

Edit: Unless you actually enter your name, it's (obviously) anonymous. Just to quell any no0b fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

it's a very pretty survey banquo :cool:

Believe it or not, it was the least visually offensive template :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I is writer and I can take the purty pictures!!!111

Seriously though, I can write and I took a fair few of the pictures we all saw in "that which shall not be named" last year.

I would be interested in writing about current affairs, issues relating to students such as fees and parking problems on the campus, etc. Alternatively, I am a film and game fanatic and can provide reviews if the magazine is going for that sort of thing.

Interested in me services? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Like a sucker I completed your survey *throws survey down on ground and stomps on it* Pfft, enjoy :D

PS why does it have to be a magazine? Personally, I'd prefer it in newspaper form but why has a magazine been decided on?

PS why does it have to be a magazine? Personally, I'd prefer it in newspaper form but why has a magazine been decided on?

+1

but if it was a newspaper would it be broadsheet or like the indo? cos I've had one too many embarassing incidents with the times on a windy day :o

beau wrote:
    +1
    but if it was a newspaper would it be broadsheet or like the indo? cos I've had one too many embarrassing incidents with the times on a windy day

Not my call I'm afraid.

Not my call I'm afraid.

but you do have connections who make that call... ;)

For the curious. These are some (seriously beta) drafts for different sections.

Important to remember that the elements on this page need to be seriously tweaked and better aligned (kerned, etc, if Eric Cartman is reading :D). Super-quick throw-together just to show ''Ah yeah, that sorta thing''. Colours also might change. We're throwing ideas around trying to come up with a nice layout. Obviously the included words and pictures are just filler.

As much criticism as possible is always welcome.

1. Contents Idea 1

2. Contents Idea 2

3. InComing Section

A short section near the start of the magazine with lots of snippets of news, bands, etc. It's for items too short to warrant a full artice.

4. Political Stuff Section (view in 2-page spread, looks better)

5. Main Feature

Good long article on a specific issue.

6. 10 Questions we ask everyone.

One of Eoin's good ideas.

7. List of cool things

8. If it was a paper

Just a tease ;) For some reason this file is 53 pages long, but it's still a small file. Only front page ever got done. (Probably should have spent less time at this and more time campaigning lol)

• Advertisement
Advertisement