Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NUIM paper/magazine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 InterStu55555

Sure I'll give it a bash!! Lets say 500 words?? I'll probably need about a week, I want to think of a subject worthy of a satirical treatment.

I'll forward it on to the email address you posted with some other details about myself. Peace!!

My email address is thestu1@hotmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Sure I'll give it a bash!! Lets say 500 words?? I'll probably need about a week, I want to think of a subject worthy of a satirical treatment.

I'll forward it on to the email address you posted with some other details about myself. Peace!!

My email address is thestu1@hotmail.com

Responded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I'd be well tempted to send something on at some point, might even stop the girlfriend from giving out to me for complaining about the quality of that piece of ****e and never trying to write something myself!
    Will have to crack open my writing brain, hasn't been used for years! :)

Norrdeth moved from music review to regular feature to let students know what to expect from a year studying abroad.

Music review job open. Funky, I'm looking at you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

An Irishman's Diary abroad? :D

Yeah, grand I'll do it. Live gigs and CDs is it?

• Advertisement

An Irishman's Diary abroad? :D

Yeah, grand I'll do it. Live gigs and CDs is it?

Super. Pint and discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm returning as a student this year so I'll do the one that lets me sleaze on celebrities? You are having a celeb gossip column right? OMG, lol

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I'm returning as a student this year so I'll do the one that lets me sleaze on celebrities? You are having a celeb gossip column right? OMG, lol

Heh. Anything serious? Like photos of lecturers leaving strip-clubs at 3 am? ;)

Won't be in Maynooth till very early September, or very late August.

If i'm there before hand, I'll let you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

banquo wrote: »
    Heh. Anything serious? Like photos of lecturers leaving strip-clubs at 3 am? ;)

Yeh, that sort of stuff. Lots of stories about rooiiidddinn and the like.

• Advertisement

In a slight change of tack this year, we're asking people what they want to read. Threw together a quick survey:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDJIbUdCcFNBM25WMjdReHRvaHRlNWc6MA..

Google Docs ftw. (Not a word, Beau :D)

If you give a damn, please take a minute. You don't get to complain next year otherwise ;)

Edit: Unless you actually enter your name, it's (obviously) anonymous. Just to quell any no0b fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

it's a very pretty survey banquo :cool:

Believe it or not, it was the least visually offensive template :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I is writer and I can take the purty pictures!!!111

Seriously though, I can write and I took a fair few of the pictures we all saw in "that which shall not be named" last year.

I would be interested in writing about current affairs, issues relating to students such as fees and parking problems on the campus, etc. Alternatively, I am a film and game fanatic and can provide reviews if the magazine is going for that sort of thing.

Interested in me services? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Like a sucker I completed your survey *throws survey down on ground and stomps on it* Pfft, enjoy :D

PS why does it have to be a magazine? Personally, I'd prefer it in newspaper form but why has a magazine been decided on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

PS why does it have to be a magazine? Personally, I'd prefer it in newspaper form but why has a magazine been decided on?

+1

but if it was a newspaper would it be broadsheet or like the indo? cos I've had one too many embarassing incidents with the times on a windy day :o

beau wrote:
    +1
    but if it was a newspaper would it be broadsheet or like the indo? cos I've had one too many embarrassing incidents with the times on a windy day

Not my call I'm afraid.

banquo wrote: »
    Not my call I'm afraid.

but you do have connections who make that call... ;)

For the curious. These are some (seriously beta) drafts for different sections.

Important to remember that the elements on this page need to be seriously tweaked and better aligned (kerned, etc, if Eric Cartman is reading :D). Super-quick throw-together just to show ''Ah yeah, that sorta thing''. Colours also might change. We're throwing ideas around trying to come up with a nice layout. Obviously the included words and pictures are just filler.

As much criticism as possible is always welcome.

1. Contents Idea 1

2. Contents Idea 2

3. InComing Section

A short section near the start of the magazine with lots of snippets of news, bands, etc. It's for items too short to warrant a full artice.

4. Political Stuff Section (view in 2-page spread, looks better)

5. Main Feature

Good long article on a specific issue.

6. 10 Questions we ask everyone.

One of Eoin's good ideas.

7. List of cool things

8. If it was a paper

Just a tease ;) For some reason this file is 53 pages long, but it's still a small file. Only front page ever got done. (Probably should have spent less time at this and more time campaigning lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

Wow! It's already better than the sh*t last year!! The gobbledegook latin is a way better read than ye olde spoke of yester year!

But but but...I can't understand Latin *wails uncontrollably*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Please please please please PLEASE return to the aged-yellow bog roll!!!! Make us proud to mop our spills, swat our flies, stop our doors and a thousand other uses. Make it a publication of possibilities and utility!!

Surely it would be cheaper as well?

I really dont know why I feel so strongly about this. Its a student staple, a student paper needs to be ruffled and manhandled. It shouldn't entail a concern with smudging and fingerprinting, or look vaguely like a textbook/journal.

ooh ooh i likey the newspaper, just make it sturdy enough to withstand the gales outside the john hume building and i'll be grand.

just a note on the political article layout, for us dim people who aren't so into politics, perhaps that thing that they do in the tabloids would encourage reading, I cant explain it, hang on and i do it another way

Capture.JPG

like have "spur" words at the start of every paragraph, it keeps people reading... cos if I saw a big long article with just "Fees- what we're up against" and 2 pages of solid text, I'd barely skim it to be honest because fees articles are just like swine flu articles now- we know we're fecked, sick of reading about it. Make us want to read about it.

also sorry my editing is so bad, i has a sleepy.

I need something that can be stuffed into my bag at ease, folded into a myriad of indistinguishable shapes, a rag that feels just as at home on the floor of the bathroom as given pride of place atop the mantelpiece. I want to feel the pseudo sticky texture of the ink on my fingertips and not have to deal with the debilitating pain inflicted by a carelessly placed staple. I want to open my paper majestically with pride on day of publication and let the wind whip it away only to retrieve it sheepishly from the angry face of a fellow Maynoothian. I need something that accommodates all classes of writing apparatus, not just biro. I want to not have to look away with bile rising at the too clear photos of Bar-Ex nights gone awry and instead be greeted with blurred photography.
    I WANT TO LIVE! WHY WON'T YOU LET ME LIVE?!

/discourse

Argument closed. I tore my hand on a staple too. Also, I like many heads of my undergrad days dont drink the beer. Perhaps a suggestion of alternatives? Do something for the first year assumption that youre supposed to?

efla wrote: »
    Please please please please PLEASE return to the aged-yellow bog roll!!!! Make us proud to mop our spills, swat our flies, stop our doors and a thousand other uses. Make it a publication of possibilities and utility!!

Um...
    ooh ooh i likey the newspaper, just make it sturdy enough to withstand the gales outside the john hume building and i'll be grand.

eh...

but...
    I feel so strongly about this

er...
    harpie wrote:
    Oh, oh, and is this gonna be an actual newspaper? Because I fooking hate the feel of shiny paper

Look, it's really not my call. I can't just barge in and start telling the VP Comms what to do! I lost the election, so I don't get to pick the format, so no newspaper. VP Comms gets that call, I (along with BuroniKisu) just work on the layout - I recommend posting your suggestions here :D

@Allandanyways: I see what you mean about the 'spurs'. I had something like that in mind anyway. I'll post up further offerings for just for you in a few days for your approval ;)
    I need something that can be stuffed into my bag at ease, folded into a myriad of indistinguishable shapes, a rag that feels just as at home on the floor of the bathroom as given pride of place atop the mantelpiece. I want to feel the pseudo sticky texture of the ink on my fingertips and not have to deal with the debilitating pain inflicted by a carelessly placed staple. I want to open my paper majestically with pride on day of publication and let the wind whip it away only to retrieve it sheepishly from the angry face of a fellow Maynoothian. I need something that accommodates all classes of writing apparatus, not just biro. I want to not have to look away with bile rising at the too clear photos of Bar-Ex nights gone awry and instead be greeted with blurred photography.
    I WANT TO LIVE! WHY WON'T YOU LET ME LIVE?!

/discourse

HA! See sig :)

• Advertisement

Latest version.

Now, I know a lot of work still has to be done - particularly in terms of content, but this is really about form.

Other advice has suggested that the fonts don't really 'match'. I agree, and the body font is open to change.

Bear in mind the sheer beta-ness of this! And my limited time to spend on it.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-yvxvRQa02uNWNiMThiODctNGNhMS00ZjNkLWFlNjQtMGRiOTkyNzA5ODkw&hl=en_GB

Advertisement