Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NUIM paper/magazine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭masherella88

banquo wrote: »
    Latest version.

Now, I know a lot of work still has to be done - particularly in terms of content, but this is really about form.

Other advice has suggested that the fonts don't really 'match'. I agree, and the body font is open to change.

Bear in mind the sheer beta-ness of this! And my limited time to spend on it.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-yvxvRQa02uNWNiMThiODctNGNhMS00ZjNkLWFlNjQtMGRiOTkyNzA5ODkw&hl=en_GB

hmmm link doesn't work :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Really? If you have a gmail account, try logging in first. Though it shouldn't need it.

Bah, I'll upload it properly in the morning...

am logged in already :) says "This page (or document) you have requested is not available. Please check the address and try again."

tomorrow :)

/slaps google

yer damn google with their docs not working and not being able to get into my email last week!

you've made us very angry!

*shakes fist*

• Advertisement

Actually, his time was my bad. Forgot to set permissions properly.
    Making some changes now (I'm the worst for this), better version will be up in the morning ;)

google, i apologise profusely!

not about the email thing though

:D
    While we're on the subject of Google...

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/336090/54865627?m=e8a80e7a

/shameless

joined...although, i just get all my nuim webmail forwarded to gmail :)

Who doesn't :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

thast such a good idea..i love ppl like you who are actually bothered to make a difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

How about a section for Erasmus students to write to?

A small number of erasmus students would be pre selected to write. All those selected must be in a different country.

Each month, each student would write a paragraph or so about how life is in France, Germany, etc., talking about the course (blah) and the social life (YEH!), etc.. Maybe also send a photo over too.

All the contributions would be compiled into one or 2 pages of the mag, and Maynoothians back home can read about their mad adventures each month.

Thoughts?

Norrdeth I know you're goin away on Erasmus! Hope to see you on Thursday buddy. DJ DooF.

How about a section for Erasmus students to write to?

A small number of erasmus students would be pre selected to write. All those selected must be in a different country.

Each month, each student would write a paragraph or so about how life is in France, Germany, etc., talking about the course (blah) and the social life (YEH!), etc.. Maybe also send a photo over too.

All the contributions would be compiled into one or 2 pages of the mag, and Maynoothians back home can read about their mad adventures each month.

Thoughts?

Norrdeth I know you're goin away on Erasmus! Hope to see you on Thursday buddy. DJ DooF.

Already in the works! :D

Uploading now...

It'll take you to Google Docs. For those who care, you're much better off downloading it and viewing it in Adobe to actually appreciate most of the details. Also bear in mind that you're looking at a two-page spread, not a really wide single page ;)

Size is A4. Paper is like that of the Irish Times mazazine (the paper stuff, not the glossy stuff. Like the Culture section)

Fonts used are:
    Body text: Apollo (serif for the longer stuff) and Helvetica (win)
    Headlines, banners and footers: Myriad Pro
    Callouts: Apex light, a beautiful font that works so well for callouts.
    (callouts are those ''big'' works in the middle of an article, the things in quotation marks''

Bear in mind that any quotes by people, pictures of people next to things are purely for the purpose of filler and do not represent them or their views at all. So if you see a picture of, say, an SU person, I just took it from their facebook page and fit it in. Could be anything, like. Although the campus development and Google Earth stories are true. Also the point-counterpoint, and the two articles on pp16 and 19.

Also, I've redesigned the ''Know your SU'' page. I thought the old page, with the pictures of people, their office hours, was a bit backwards. The SU is set up to fix stuff, right? So rather then make the SU the focus I've made the PROBLEMS the focus and you work from their. You'll see what I mean. That page is super-beta, but the general idea (i think it's still a little confusing, more work needed)

Only half filled pages (obviously) still require content, but you get the general idea of the look and feel of it. It's supposed to be part-newspaper, part-magazine.

Loads of sections aren't done, but for the most part they'll (if we decide to go with this) look like what you see here. Allandanyways, I'm still working on the spurs;)

Also, there's a lot of small things to be fixed. Like a line out of place here and there, lotsa prepress stuff to do. Again, general idea.

This link should work. If it doesn't, verbally slap me and I'll come back and fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Oh yeah I'm flying on Saturday morn, and i'll hopefully be writing some stuff for the aforementioned section so I'll be keeping people updated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Loads of sections aren't done, but for the most part they'll (if we decide to go with this) look like what you see here.
    I think it's a vast improvement. I like it muchly.

Why thank you:D

Critical stuff is welcome/necessary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Looks way better than the spoke anyway. Are we going to have to pay for this though?

Hell no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Looks awesomes.

Is it worth writing a letter into issue 1, or is that space all gone? Can mail on info. Purely in relation to the lecturers union response to the bord snip etc.

• Advertisement

Write away! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

i like it, it's very well done

nice job banquo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

I'm only an incoming fresher, but I'd be interested in doing illustrations(stuff like political cartoons) granted that I can get my hands on a tablet soon.. Have been meaning to buy one :)

I'll try get a lend of one for the moment and send something on :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Two little things <_<

I need to talk to you about pictures apparently. If you want, I can email you one that is actually me instead of the "You shall not pass" one. :P

Also, I think there's a few words missing from the end of my article on fees....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Not sure what the story is with publications or anything but I'd like to get involved too if that's possible. I suppose we'll hear when we get there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Uploading now...

Loads of sections aren't done, but for the most part they'll (if we decide to go with this) look like what you see here. Allandanyways, I'm still working on the spurs;)

You remembered! Awh... :)

all the skim-readers and people normally not interested in political stuff will thank you whole-heartedly ;)

Two little things <_<

I need to talk to you about pictures apparently. If you want, I can email you one that is actually me instead of the "You shall not pass" one. :P

Also, I think there's a few words missing from the end of my article on fees....

Pics please :D And the article was a quick copy/paste job, not the final version;)
    Not sure what the story is with publications or anything but I'd like to get involved too if that's possible. I suppose we'll hear when we get there!

Email me at robbbmm@gmail.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

I've been asked to do an essay writing workshop if there's the demand. More details to follow. Online version is a priority though.

I'm thinking that it'd be great to have it as a kind of resource online for when you're at home trying to write an essay that's due. That and a citation guide for your dept (I.e. nuimsu.com -> resources -> citation guide -> music department -> the guide)

@Funky: I hate those officials who screw us over that way for the seats!

oooh let me know if you are doing it! id love it! are you interested in an article on the Irish Peopls' Union by any chance???

Still considering the workshop, but don't really fancy doing it in front of 3 old people and a dog. Attendance at these things has always been bad. Might do it and youtube it if the SU sets up (and decently proliferates) a youtube channel.

Irish people's union? Haven't heard of them before. :D What is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Still considering the workshop, but don't really fancy doing it in front of 3 old people and a dog. Attendance at these things has always been bad. Might do it and youtube it if the SU sets up (and decently proliferates) a youtube channel.

Irish people's union? Haven't heard of them before. :D What is it?

sheesh and you're involved in a paper! do you reeeeead?!?! http://www.irishpeopleunion.com/cms/

basically it was an organisation set up by people that were pi**ed off by permanent TSB's price hikes but it has become an attack at NAMA and the Irish government- they are basically giving a voice to the working person of Ireland and are starting a revolution (although they prefer the term reformation... revolution sounds so much cooler though! I start thinking of Les Miserablés)
    They are organising a huge protest on 12th September outside the Dáil to try and get some more attention.
    I sent you a copy of the article so if you want to use it or take bits out of it then you're more than welcome, but if you don't then that's just as grand!
    It just reminds me of the good old days when the only reason that students were students were because they protested! it didn't matter what they were protesting about- it was just the fact that they did it!

Advertisement