Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drylining and dampness

• 24-07-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

soon building as i mentioned before, and this is what i had planned..

100mm cavity with say 70-80mm kinspan

and 25mm dryline on exterior walls in the inside.

My concern is that i have seen the words mold/dampness/dryline all in the same sentence a few places on the forum:confused:.

Can i have some claification as to what problems are, and how to solve them or more importantly how to prevent them. . . . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Firstly you should have a 40mm cavity so 80mm insulation = 120mm cavity. A lot of the posts you have read regarding drylining / dampness / mould refer to old buildings with solid stone walls which are intended to breathe, you are constructiing a new cavity wall so I would have no problem with what you are doing. I would however at least scratch coat the inner leaf before drylining for airtightness. I have used a similar build up on a number of houses and they have all turned out to be very warm and cosy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭A country home

No6 wrote: »
    Firstly you should have a 40mm cavity so 80mm insulation = 120mm cavity. A lot of the posts you have read regarding drylining / dampness / mould refer to old buildings with solid stone walls which are intended to breathe, you are constructiing a new cavity wall so I would have no problem with what you are doing. I would however at least scratch coat the inner leaf before drylining for airtightness. I have used a similar build up on a number of houses and they have all turned out to be very warm and cosy.:D

you are a life saver. . well a house saver. I just told the raft engineer guy that the cavity was 100, but that i wanted 75-80 insulation in the cavity. . and he said nothing. . :rolleyes:.. . as usual. .
    then i came home and looked the at spec my builder done and he spec'd 75mm insulation in a 115mm cavity.. . . so you and him are in the same frame of mind. . .

I will be asking you a few questions in relation to DL in the coming months. .

I may also ask, is there such thing as bad/useless 75mm insulation in the wall. . my builder hasnt spec'd any particular type. .

I will of course say it to him. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

OP,
    Perhaps you should hire aprofessional to oversee your build.
    One mistake or mis-communication could cost more than the cost of a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

+1 . You can't build by PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭A country home

+5 understand what the person is charging you thousands for and make sure it gets done properly, otherwise :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

sinnerboy wrote: »
    +1 . You can't build by PC

You can design by PC :)

ONQ

Advertisement