Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is200 v Altezza

• 24-07-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking through the previous posts..still unsure.

Looking to buy either a IS200 or Altezza AS - still not sure.

(Apart from the boyracer look etc..)

What are the pros/cons or what would you go for and why..

Tez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AS uses the same 6 cylinder as the IS200, don't see the point tbh. If you want power, buy the RS200, if you want refinement buy a nicely specced IS200 Executive. not sure where the AS200 is supposed to fit in. from the point of view of parts, image etc. if it's a straight choice of IS vs AS, then go IS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

IS200 has a 156bhp 2 litre 6cyl which is very thirsty. The Altezza has a Yamaha tuned beams 2 litre 4cyl with over 200bhp. I'd go Altezza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you check insurance quotes yet, OP? They might be a lot worse than you reckoned. There's very little I can think of in positive points for this Toyota (Lexus) apart from the impressive 200bhp from a normally aspirated 2 litre engine in the beams altezza. Why are you interested in these cars anyway? You kinda state you do not want to be associated with boy racers?

The Altezza AS200 is the same (158 odd) bhp as the IS200. he's not asking about the RS200 (Yamaha) model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd prefer the Altezza , far more fuel efficent than the same powered lexus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Barr wrote: »
    I'd prefer the Altezza , far more fuel efficent than the same powered lexus.
    How can the badge make a difference to fuel efficiency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the IS200 came with satnav as standard from 04 onwards and has a far less boy racer feel about it, also i have yet to see an altezza in any colour except white, also if buying an IS200 it has a far lower chance of being involved in the following activities : drag, drift , track racing and with a full service history will most likely be in better condition

JHMEG wrote: »
    How can the badge make a difference to fuel efficiency?

The IS200 has 6 cylinders and the Altezza has 4. Ive heard the Lexus are not the most fuel effecient cars out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Barr wrote: »
    The IS200 has 6 cylinders and the Altezza has 4. Ive heard the Lexus are not the most fuel effecient cars out there.

You need to read again...
    Looking to buy either a IS200 or Altezza AS
    colm_mcm wrote:
    AS uses the same 6 cylinder as the IS200,

JHMEG I stand corrected , I never knew the Altezza came with the 6 pot motor.
    OP Its abit pointless comparing them so, just go with the best deal you can find and stop dwelling on the badge.

• Advertisement

IS200 all the way.. get a spin in one everyday at lunch and they're an actual nice car. no one on here has ever seen a non-ricer altezza and the point about how the car has been driven before you buy stands true here.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

I think the RS200 has a 4cylinder 220 BHP with a beams engine and the AS200 6 cylinder 160 BHP and the lexus is a 6c 150 bhp...
    From reading the spec etc I think the as200 and the is200 are idenitcal cars apart from the badges - unless I am proven wrong?

the IS200 came with satnav as standard from 04 onwards
    IS200 never had standard satnav. even the sport or sport design models didn't have it standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

There was a "navigator" version in the UK with the sat nav.

I average close to 30mpg combined in an auto but be aware that the book only claims 20.2mpg urban.

There is a 70 litre tank so you get the impression that it was a long time since you filled it.

Unless it's the 4 pot Altezza with the 200hp there is no point having the Toyota badge with the inferior spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The IS200 was sold as the Toyota Altezza in Japan as the Lexus brand only appeared in Japan from around 2004 onwards.

There were two versions of the Altezza, the AS200 and RS200. The AS200 was basically the IS200 we got in Europe with the 2.0 litre 156bhp 6 cylinder engine but without the IS200's standard kit, the RS200 however had a 2.0 litre 210bhp 4 cylinder engine tuned by Yamaha Beams.

The AS200 is redundant over here as the IS200 is better equipped and dare I say it has a better name. If it is performance you are looking for then the RS200 is the one to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Currently own an IS200 Exec, so I went through this decision 2 years ago. Forget the the AS200, just not worth it, especially the way the prices are today with the IS200.
    Only options are really the RS200 and the IS200, power vrs luxury . I chose the later, as the IS has enough power for me.
    The only 2 models I would look at are the exec and the sport models, and if you can find a sport model with full leather this would be the one to go for with its sports suspension and limited slip diff .

Advertisement