Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you'd love to see a sequel to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Okami-Such a pretty game,plus it's one that could support a sequel storyline.

Elite Beat Agents-So very very addictive!

I can't think of any more at the moment,but I'm sure I could come up with more!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Fifa

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

the darkness , ****n loved that game, me wants a number 2

the darkness 2 now even more darker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Star Wars The Force Unleashed. Best Star Wars game since Jedi Knight II: Outcast, imo.

World in Conflict. Fantastically addictive multiplayer and great support base.

Duke Nukem.... :P

Mirror's Edge. Great concept and a lot of potential for growth in both story and execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

System Shock (bioshock doesn't count)
    Homeworld
    Freespace
    Monkey Island (proper sequel!)

Ermmmmmmmmmm.........
    Eternal Darkness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I want a decent sequel to KOTOR.

I'd also like to see a Sonic game go back to 2D and have a go at that again. It failed since it went 3d and no matter how many times they try, they still fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

TomCo wrote: »
    System Shock (bioshock doesn't count)
    Homeworld
    Freespace
    Monkey Island (proper sequel!)

Ermmmmmmmmmm.........
    Eternal Darkness?

what about Homeworld 2 and Freespace 2 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

severance: blade of darkness

that game was just awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

superfly wrote: »
    what about Homeworld 2 and Freespace 2 ;)

By that logic you'd also mention System Shock 2 and Monkey Island 2.
    You know what I mean!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd also second a System Shock 2 sequel. Only finished SS2 2 days ago, amazing game.

I would also kill for a sequel to panzer dragoon orta. An RPG in the style of saga would be preferable bur I wouldn't sniff at a rail shooter either.
    Elite Beat Agents-So very very addictive!

Just import Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 1 and 2 from play asia. They are basically the exact same as elite beat agents except with a better crazy japanese soundtrack. You don't even need english to know what is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

TomCo wrote: »
    Homeworld

Homeworld 3 ?

There was a very odd situation, where the publisher and games studio were on opposite sides of a fence.

Taken from:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=60028

The facts are as follows:

* Sierra/Vivendi Universal (VU Games) own the rights to the Homeworld Universe as a part of the original publishing deal for Homeworld.
    * Relic Entertainment is the developer of Homeworld and Homeworld 2.
    * Barking Dog is the developer of Homeworld:Cataclysm.
    * Neither Relic Entertainment or Barking Dog (who were bought out by Rockstar Games Canada) are able to make another Homeworld game unless hired to do so by Sierra/VU.
    * After the release of Homeworld 2, Relic Entertainment were purchased by publisher THQ, and now exclusively make games for them.
    * The CEO of Relic Entertainment and originator of Homeworld, Alex Garden, has left Relic and THQ to pursue other projects.
    * As THQ do not own the rights to the Homeworld Universe, it is extremely unlikely (read: not going to happen) that Relic will make another Homeworld game (if they even wanted to).
    * It is also extremely unlikely that Sierra/VU Games will hire another publisher to make another Homeworld game.
    * In a nutshell, it is extremely unlikely that we will ever see a Homeworld 3.

Happily, contrary to the above, THQ seemingly now own the IP for Homeworld.. and Relic have been making noises about Homeworld 3.

http://ie.pc.ign.com/articles/933/933376p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mirrors Edge 2 (with more running and less combat)
    Geometry Wars 3 (with lots of new modes)
    System Shock 3 (Shodan lives....)
    Marble Blast 2
    Ultima Underworld 3
    A new Super Mario World game
    Henry Hatsworth 2
    A new 2D metroid game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'd also like to see a Sonic game go back to 2D and have a go at that again.

You played any of the 3 Sonic Advance games? I found all of them to be excellent. As good, if not better than the originals. Also, I know I keep pimping it but Sonic: Unleashed... if only people would finish it they'd see how amazing it is.
    severance: blade of darkness

+1 I still remember saying to myself "wait... you mean I can chop off their arm, pick it up then beat them to death with their own arm... AWESOME!!!"

EDIT: If you liked Severance I'd HIGHLY recommend Demon's Souls on the PS3. It's in a very similar vein to it and possibly one of, if not, the best game of this generation to date.

On sequels I'd love to see a:

Psychonauts 2... it ended with what seemed like a blatant hint that they intended to continue the series. Then nobody bought it :(. I hope if Brutal Legend does well that they'll greenlight a Psychonauts sequel. Still, imo, one of the best games ever made.

Star Wars: Republic Commando 2... why didn't this game get a sequel? It had better team control than GRAW, excellent voice acting and well written dialogue, all within the Star Wars universe. It also ended on a huge cliffhanger. Then everyone bought Battle Front and Battle Front II, forgot about Republic Commando and any chance of a sequel got canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I don't know if anyone remembers it, but 'black' on the xbox. It was just before the 360 came out and it had stunning graphics for a game that was before the next-gen consoles, pretty good too. Would love to see a second one.

Also Advent Rising, I was so pissed off they didn't make another one... it just left me hanging without knowing what happened to the rest of it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

L31mr0d wrote: »
    EDIT: If you liked Severance I'd HIGHLY recommend Demon's Souls on the PS3. It's in a very similar vein to it and possibly one of, if not, the best game of this generation to date.

dont have a ps3, but the flatmate was talking about getting one. if he does, I'll def look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

While most of my first choices have been named above I'd like to throw in one rather obscure one, Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. The game was released back in 2004 by Midway and although it had its flaws it was still an awesome third person physics/shoot-'em up. The story was pretty cool yet unfortunately, it ended on a cliffhanger.

As for why I loved it, well check this out...
    You could get into someone's mind and force them to commit suicide, you could make them use their sniper rifle on their friends before throwing themselves off of their perch, you could pick someone up with your mind and throw them into a furnace, and my personal favorite: standing on top of a metal platform and using it to levitate yourself across the levels, Magneto-style.
    Enough said really. :)

Unfortuantely even after its release a sequel was unlikely due to its mediocre sales and them wanting to focus on Strangehold of all things. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Day of the Tentacle
    Sam and Max hit the Road
    Full Throttle

I see a pattern forming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Id go with the OP's one.
    Vampire Bloodlines.
    Not gonna happen though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You played any of the 3 Sonic Advance games? I found all of them to be excellent. As good, if not better than the originals.

Oh god no! Whatever about sonic unleashed, I only played that for an hour, but I played and finished all the sonic advance games and they were terrible. They were all so utterly soulless with levles indistinguishable from one another due to samey boring level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'd love to see sequels to any of the LucasArts titles from back in the day when they knew how to actually make a decent game.

In particular, I'd really love them to make a sequel to TIE Fighter. What a game!

+1 on System Shock 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Mirrors Edge
    Body Harvest
    Mario 64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mirrors Edge 2
    Half-Life Episode 3 (since Valve don't seem to want to complete it in my lifetime).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh god no! Whatever about sonic unleashed, I only played that for an hour, but I played and finished all the sonic advance games and they were terrible. They were all so utterly soulless with levles indistinguishable from one another due to samey boring level design.

thank you, i hated the sonic advance games as well.

heres mine, a bit sega-biased myself....

a new streets of rage developed by Sega, has to be 2d or maybe something like Street Fighter 4 where the gameplay is 2d but the graphics are very much 3D.
    use Xbox live and PSN as a medium or perhaps develop the new game for PSP/PSP Go or even DS.

a new jet set radio, first game was bloody fantastic(and JSRF was rubbish IMO) and maybe use the first game as a download game and revamp it as a retail game for the wii to drum up some interest.

shenmue 3 for goodness sake. if you have no intention of ever releasing it, give me to me on the Dreamcast because I reckon its already been made, you saw how much was already done for the Saturn.

a new colin mcrae rally that is as fun as the PS1 original.

new super mario world, maybe its unoriginal but hey, theres new super mario bros and a new mario galaxy.....

a new proper sequel to Gunstar Heroes, the GBA sequel was a joke, it was more of a bad remake than a sequel. 3D could well work for Gunstar Heroes too.....

another 2D sonic and not sonic advance. Sonic never looked better than Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles so maybe base a new game on those graphics. also sonic adventure 3, both sonic adventure 1 and 2 were solid games.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    another 2D sonic and not sonic advance. Sonic never looked better than Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles so maybe base a new game on those graphics. also sonic adventure 3, both sonic adventure 1 and 2 were solid games.

hmm... maybe take off the rose tinted glasses and look again. The reviews and the actual gamers who've played it on metacritic disagree with both of you also.

Particularly Sonic Advance 2, I found the levels very well designed, so much so that I will usually bring it with me on flights to work on the time trials, the levels are so well designed that if you know them you can traverse them without stopping once, whereas the beginner will run into constant dead ends. It also had an excellent ending as Sonic when you unlocked all of the emeralds.

I also can't see how you consider them to have less soul, maybe it's a case of diminishing returns? The Advance games would have to be better than the originals for you to consider them equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd love a Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines sequel. I thought that since it was made with the Half-Life 2 engine that it'd get loads of mods but none seemed to come. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Is there another syndicate game on the way?

Wouldn't mind another g-police. It was limted badly by technology of its time, but a sandbox future flight game now sounds appealing

I also can't see how you consider them to have less soul, maybe it's a case of diminishing returns? The Advance games would have to be better than the originals for you to consider them equal.

From Sonic 1 to sonic and knuckles I knew each act inside out and each one had it's own identity thanks to the excellent and unique level design and gameplay ideas thrown in on each act. In the sonic advance games the change from act to act might as well have been a reskin of the last level for all the difference it seemed to make. It's the same problem I have with Sonic CD, boring samey levels relying on unavoiable pit falls unless you know the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

System Shock 3
    Freespace 3
    Prototrpe 2

From Sonic 1 to sonic and knuckles I knew each act inside out and each one had it's own identity thanks to the excellent and unique level design and gameplay ideas thrown in on each act. In the sonic advance games the change from act to act might as well have been a reskin of the last level for all the difference it seemed to make.

I think the Sonic Team are in a lose lose situation. If they innovate they are slammed for not keeping to the games roots, if they produce games identical in feel and gameplay to the originals gamers feel jaded.

They've pretty much covered every type of level possible (forest, desert, snow, lava, mountain, ruins, city, space), so any degree left or right of that is going to feel "samey" to the Sonic veteran.

We shout for 2D Sonic and when we get it we shake our heads and go "been there, done that"... they innovate and give us an extremely solid and polished 3D Sonic in Unleashed with some branches into some innovative areas whilst coming back to the original 2D experience in parts and then the gamers cry "this isn't the Sonic I remembered...rubbish"

It's sad, because the gamers that say they love him don't know what they want, and have gotten used to saying anything he appears in is nothing like the originals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

silvine wrote: »
    I'd love to see sequels to any of the LucasArts titles from back in the day when they knew how to actually make a decent game.

In particular, I'd really love them to make a sequel to TIE Fighter. What a game!

+1 on System Shock 2

Speaking of Lucas Arts what about a sequel to Grim Fandango :D

Advertisement