Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two wireless routers - boost the signal

Options
  • 24-07-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of wireless routers. None of them are the same brand. What I'd like to do is put one downstairs for the DSL and broadcasting a signal. Then I'd like another one upstairs to boost the signal and provide a wired option for my Slingbox / print server.

What sort of compatibility am I looking for? Is there somewhere I can check if 2 routers will work together? Are they gonna have to be the same brand?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Random wrote: »
    I have a couple of wireless routers. None of them are the same brand. What I'd like to do is put one downstairs for the DSL and broadcasting a signal. Then I'd like another one upstairs to boost the signal and provide a wired option for my Slingbox / print server.

What sort of compatibility am I looking for? Is there somewhere I can check if 2 routers will work together? Are they gonna have to be the same brand?

Thanks

You want to look for support for client bridge mode or Wireless Distribution System.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is it common enough that this would work with different brands?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Random wrote: »
    Is it common enough that this would work with different brands?

Various WDS supporting models here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

And anything with OpenWRT/DD-WRT will also have client bridge mode.

Advertisement