Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM reception

• 24-07-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

I'm having strange reception issues with Today Fm at the moment. I live in Dublin 5 in a bit of an FM reception hole, but I can get perfect reception on my clock radio for Today FM. In the morning it switches on at quarter to 8 and I have crystal clear reception for the remainder of Ian Dempsey. Thanks to the recession I now have the pleasure of listening to Ray D'Arcy too, but my radio doesn't agree. Every morning during the 9 o clock news the reception starts to get fuzzy and by the time Ray is on it's too distorted to listen to. By the time Matt Copper is on the reception is perfect again.

Any theories? Do Today FM change the power of their signal at 9? Does my radio think that I should stop listening to D'Arcy and get out of bed? Or does someone in D5 have a vendetta against Today Fm's daytime lineup and broadcast jamming noise? Tune in tomorrow and find out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

They wouldn't be reducing power at 9am and increasing again at 4:30pm. Most likely some local interference that your clock radio cannot reject or is too close to the source.

Move the clock radio to another location when the problem occurs and see does it still happen. Any businesses nearby? Seems to be related to business hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

Over the past few days I have been finding the same, and I live on the Cork/Kery border, so I guess it must be something to do with the station itself. Interference seems to come from other stations that are impinging on the signal - don't know why or what causes it. Have tried re-tuning the station - no luck yesterday, but today found the station slightly stronger signal just up the dial a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

More Music wrote: »
    Move the clock radio to another location when the problem occurs and see does it still happen. Any businesses nearby? Seems to be related to business hours.

I thought you may be on to something with the business theory as I tried the radio on saturday and there were no reception problems. But today it was grand as well so bang goes that theory. I think it may just have been a series of coincidences. I've googled my clock radio model and it is known for having a poor FM receiver (it's a wifi/DAB/fm radio so something has to suffer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

im finding today fm's reception is getting a lot worse in West Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

I thought you may be on to something with the business theory as I tried the radio on saturday and there were no reception problems. But today it was grand as well so bang goes that theory.

Maybe some businesses were closed today due to swine flu!

Maxim and Corcaigh07: There have been daily power reductions affecting services from Mullaghanish. This is due to the construction of the new mast. Power reductions are due to continue for a few weeks yet. This will affect TV and radio at different stages as the new mast gets higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    im finding today fm's reception is getting a lot worse in West Cork.

Possibly due to the works presently being carried out on the Mullaganish site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

cheers lads thats good to know. hopefully it improves

Advertisement