Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punched in the head and phone stolen while walking to U2 concert

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

He posted it in After Hours, looking for sympathetic replies here is like looking for freedom of expression in China. It's not going to happen.

Really?
    I'd say you are wrong there.

Really?
    I'd say you are wrong there.

Actually I have to say that After Hours ahs in recent months became a far nicer place. People treat one another with respect and there are times when even the most crusty of hippie would feel welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

He posted it in After Hours, looking for sympathetic replies here is like looking for freedom of expression in China. It's not going to happen. When I posted originally I was joking but as I said the more replies of yours I read the more I think that perhaps I was onto something. It may knock you off that high horse.

High horse?? Interesting! Maybe im just sick of assholes like you coming out with rubbish like "Now if we could only give everyone who went to the U2 gig a slap then that would be heaven"

Now,i was at the gig,you dont know me (thankfully) so what makes you think that me or any of the other 80,000 people that were at the gig deserve a slap?

Darko,just cop on,After Hours doesnt mean you can be a cock to everyone and laugh and joke about muggings or rape or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

It was Paul Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

It's horrible that that happened.

I think people like that prey on such events, knowing there'll be a huge crowd and it'll be easy to pickpocket and mug people, without attracting too much attention.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

High horse?? Interesting! Maybe im just sick of assholes like you coming out with rubbish like "Now if we could only give everyone who went to the U2 gig a slap then that would be heaven"

Now,i was at the gig,you dont know me (thankfully) so what makes you think that me or any of the other 80,000 people that were at the gig deserve a slap?

Darko,just cop on,After Hours doesnt mean you can be a cock to everyone and laugh and joke about muggings or rape or something.

banned.

It was a joke, if you can't see the difference between a joke and someone actually suggesting that 80,00 people get a slap then I don't know what to say.

Who was I a cock to and where have I joked about rape or anything like that? What happened to the op's family member is unfortunate but it's hardly an isolated incident. If he wanted a genuine discussion about the rise of crime in Dublin and the tragedy that struck his family member then he should take it to the appropriate forum.

A friend of mine who was at the gig said that a number of people were mugged while on teh way too and from the gig. He saw 5 phones being robbed and as he said "if your'e stupid enough to be walking around with your phone stuck to you ear after a gig then no one will have any sympathy for you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

He saw 5 phones being robbed and as he said "if your'e stupid enough to be walking around with your phone stuck to you ear after a gig then no one will have any sympathy for you".

Where else would you put your phone if making or receiving a call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

what were they thinking put a phone to their ear, obviously that leads to a hiding after a concert:rolleyes:

Well most people favour to leave it in their pocket till theyr'e in safer surroundings. :D
    soundsham wrote: »
    what were they thinking put a phone to their ear, obviously that leads to a hiding after a concert:rolleyes:

As I said, leave it in your pocket till your'e in more comfortable surroundings. The area is know this type of thing and walking around with your phone on display in the area is asking for it.

Well most people favour to leave it in their pocket till theyr'e in safer surroundings. :D

As I said, leave it in your pocket till your'e in more comfortable surroundings. The area is know this type of thing and walking around with your phone on display in the area is asking for it.

surely you don't expect people to wait till they get to there home/hotel room/next county before answering the phone thats just a bit silly there are land lines for that,

soundsham wrote: »
    surely you don't expect people to wait till they get to there home/hotel room/next county before answering the phone thats just a bit silly there are land lines for that,

While I understand the need to make or recieve calls before or after a gig there is always the chance that by doing so you make yourself a target. Shame there is so much scum walking our streets and targeting events like this for personnal gain.

I keep mine close to my nether-regions...although i talk out of my arse a lot..

Oh yeah, and to the OP, sorry to hear about this..hope your sister's ok..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

No, I think being punched in the head is far mor appropriate. Now if only there was a way we could punch every one who attended in the head we would be in heaven.

This just in

Galway idiot wants to punch over quater of a million people in the head just for going to U2 while he stays at home probably alone and trolls internet forums looking for threads to write insensitive comments in.

This just in

Galway idiot wants to punch over quater of a million people in the head just for going to U2 while he stays at home probably alone and trolls internet forums looking for threads to write insensitive comments in.

Jesus man it was a joke, everyone else has realised that.

You're math is wrong btw, 80,000x3= 240,000. Under a quarter of a million.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

You're math is wrong btw, 80,000x3= 240,000. Under a quarter of a million.:D

I was including support and security staff at over 4000 a nite so that brings it to 252,000, or over a quater of a million slaps to you;)

I was including support and security staff at over 4000 a nite so that brings it to 252,000, or over a quater of a million slaps to you;)

You see security and staff are there to work they are'nt included in Slapsgiving 2009. They could administer the slaps though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Why exactly is this worth a topic?

So someone walks through a (potentially) rough area of North Dublin inner city, most likely talking on their phone, looking vulnerable with two kids along side / to keep an eye on, and gets a slap in the head and the phone taken.

Why are we surprised/outraged? It would happen anywhere at any time when someone is vulberable. Just because she was on the way to the U2 concert it makes it relevant?

Dare I ask, was this person from Dublin? Did she have any clue about where she walking?

I walked through the North suburbs, mainly Fairview/Clonliffe Road and I saw no trouble whatsoever. I also heard of no trouble from anyone who I knew that was attending the gig and coming from all sorts of directions. Are we just all that much more street smart or does that actually just show what an isolated incident this was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I just want to know what type of phone it was?

heard there's a new app for the iphone, it's called imug, simply hold iphone to your ear and walk for 20 minutes any direction in Dublin or Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

phones of people while they are talking is a cash crop for some of the young in the approaches to croke park . for every event, they target the weakest,

dar83 wrote: »
    Why exactly is this worth a topic?

So someone walks through a (potentially) rough area of North Dublin inner city, most likely talking on their phone, looking vulnerable with two kids along side / to keep an eye on, and gets a slap in the head and the phone taken.

Why are we surprised/outraged? It would happen anywhere at any time when someone is vulberable. Just because she was on the way to the U2 concert it makes it relevant?

Dare I ask, was this person from Dublin? Did she have any clue about where she walking?

I walked through the North suburbs, mainly Fairview/Clonliffe Road and I saw no trouble whatsoever. I also heard of no trouble from anyone who I knew that was attending the gig and coming from all sorts of directions. Are we just all that much more street smart or does that actually just show what an isolated incident this was?

why is this a topic? ok lets talk about pastilles or some clowns top hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One of Bono's roadies stole it in a cost-cutting exercise.

Bono will use it to call the international space station, Obama and Gerry Aadams tonight.

I hope it's a pay-as-you-go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ahh, After hours.... How I love ye!

LMAO OP

GrumPy wrote: »
    Ahh, After hours.... How I love ye!

LMAO OP

I'm guessing you didn't read the entire thread!

I am really surprised at what this thread turned into after I went to my leaba.

I agree, most things aren't taken seriously in after hours and that's why I love it so much but it really does make you wonder when people are actually unable to turn off the sarcasm for a really serious issue, not everything is a joke.

Someone getting punched in the face and robbed in front of their children is not funny. If you saw it happening on the street you wouldn't laugh. If it was you, you wouldn't laugh. If it was one of your family you would be outraged. But because this person posted in 'the wrong forum' their experience is irrelevant and shouldn't be taken seriously. And if they had left out the 'on the way to a u2 concert' would it have been less funny? it would appear so.

If any of you ever experience a mugging or physical, unprovoked violence (which I really hope you don't) I hope your friends don't laugh in your face.

rant over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

And he didn't rob the concert tickets?

At least he had some standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not everyone..

You know what, I'd hate to see the hole you'd dig if you had two shovels - your in deep enough with just the one!.

OP, I sincerely wish your sis & the kids a speedy recovery.

There's a thread on SUMMERHILL right HERE, its a horrible & dangerous area but with the Garda presence in the area yesterday anyone, no matter how street savvy, would have felt safe.

Just console yourself by thinking the little fvckwit mugger is probably a junkie or well on the way, he'll most likely die a young and very painful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Why didn't her two kids go after him?Good for nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread really expresses how ordinary people (Dubs mainly I'll guess) now expect folk to get mugged/attacked in Dublin and that frankly its the way things are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

mike65 wrote: »
    This thread really expresses how ordinary people (Dubs mainly I'll guess) now expect folk to get mugged/attacked in Dublin and that frankly its the way things are.

This thread, and others, are fecking depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Actually, I'm a Dub - born and bred & I don't expect people to get mugged in my city.

But when people are mugged, you'll find its the honest & down to earth Dub who'll express a genuine sympathy for the victim and not try to lord it over us all from the comfort of their keyboard in Galway or other far removed county.

I actually dispair more for the attitude's shown by some in this thread than I do for the little bastard who mugged the OPs' sister, at least that little fvcker's time on this earth will be short lived and full of misery, pain & death (hopefully).

Actually, I'm a Dub - born and bred & I don't expect people to get mugged in my city.

But when people are mugged, you'll find its the honest & down to earth Dub who'll express a genuine sympathy for the victim and not try to lord it over us all from the comfort of their keyboard in Galway or other far removed county.

I actually dispair more for the attitude's shown by some in this thread than I do for the little bastard who mugged the OPs' sister, at least that little fvcker's time on this earth will be short lived and full of misery, pain & death (hopefully).

If you must know I lived in Dublin for a number of years and on one ocassion was stabbed in the neck with a syringe and a broken bottle by a junkie. Yes I made some jokes in the thread but they were tongue in cheek. I suppose that like others you beleived that I was seerious when I suggested that everyone who goes to the U2 gigs deserves a punch?

Where I come from and am currently living is infamous for crime such muggings, beatings, etc. It's well know that if you go out there are ares you avoid like the plague.

Had this been something that the op read in the paper and posted about would there be such a moral out cry? I doubt that, much like the infamous Aerfrance thread, jokes were all well and good till it turned out that there were Irish people on board. Once that was know, jokes were a no go and highly offensive to many posters.

While what happened to the OP's sister was disgraceful, it's far from an isolated incident. People are muggged, beaten, raped and killed every day yet there are hundreds of posts making light of that on here and no one complains. The second it's in any way remotely related to someone on here the morale brigade get on their high horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

yerayeah wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that OP, it's a real shame to have spent so much on a concert like that and then have it ruined or at least seriously marred by some piece of sh1t waste of life...

Does this refer to the mugging or the standard of music?:confused:

I hope so, i'll know later. Thanks for the concern. Others on here seem to think being mugged is funny.

there is a hard core of very immature folk on boards generally, you have to filter them out....:pac: most folks on board are gr8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I agree, most things aren't taken seriously in after hours and that's why I love it so much but it's really does make you wonder when people are actually unable to turn off the sarcasm for a really serious issue, not everything is a joke.

Someone getting punched in the face and robbed in front of their children is not funny. If you saw it happening on the street you wouldn't laugh. If it was you, you wouldn't laugh. If it was one of your family you would be outraged. But because this person posted in 'the wrong forum' their experience is irrelevant and shouldn't be taken seriously. And if they had left out the 'on the way to a u2 concert' would it have been less funny? it would appear so.

If any of you ever experience a mugging or physical, unprovoked violence (which I really hope you don't) I hope your friends don't laugh in your face.

rant over :D

For some people getting an lol or a thanked post is more important than human decency. Sad, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Why do scum rob mobile phones?

They're blacklisted as soon as they're reported.

Fcukin scum!!

I just need to vent my anger. A family member on her way to the U2 concert was punched in the head and had her phone stolen by a youth at Summerhill.

She had her 2 kids with her at the time.

I thought it was a female youth who robbed the phone and had brought her kids with her to train 'em up ..............:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why do scum rob mobile phones?

Fcukin scum!!

Cos they is stoopid?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Pointless thread. Don't know why it was started. There is nothing being discussed. Obligatory sympathy given but ultimately nobody cares too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ffs this is AH, threads aren't taken seriously. Lament for the decline of society somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

phasers wrote: »
    And he didn't rob the concert tickets?

At least he had some standards

I dont do this often, but LMAO !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Where the hell has :mad:The Citizen:mad: gone?
    Real Name
    unknown

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I have never been, nor do I ever expect to get mugged in Dublin.

But I don't walk around places like Summerhill.

Hmm... It's something to ponder, alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

This thread is a shining example of why I rarely post in After Hours. Some people badly need to have the difference between being a dickhead and being funny explained to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Brilliant.

My money's still on it being Degsy.
    Mild mannered librarian by day.
    By night, a "protector of the people, scourge of the scum".

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

It's well know that if you go out there are ares you avoid like the plague.

I live in Dublin for the past few months and if I was going to a gig/match/whatever in Croke Park/RDS/O2 I wouldn't know all of the areas to avoid like the plague, just like a lot of the 80 or so thousand people that were up there last night, you can't blame the girl for not knowing where the extra scummy parts of that city are and for presuming she can make a phonecall while walking on the street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

It would have been awesome if Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy arrived on the scene to bag and tag those ruffians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

''''''Why do scum rob mobile phones?

Fcukin scum!! '''''

cos ders no facilites and they are bored, seems to be a good enough excuse for most judges for theses scum to go around randomly assaulting people

Advertisement