Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best thing about the McRecession

• 25-07-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

For me, it's that I genuinely seem to be less materialistic, and am that little bit closer to my family because of it... probably :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm seeing a pattern in AH, there was loads of recession threads a few months back, then everyone got sick of them and we had a recession free area for awhile, then one or two recession related threads pop up without the usual "not another fecking...." and the flood gates open again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yep, friend of mine lost his house, he and family had to move back to his parents place, definitely brought that family closer together in a way.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Fianna Fail will get a hiding at the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Definitely the threads on recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Cheaper performance cars .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Getting a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Definetly the lower standard of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

galwayrush wrote: »
    Yep, friend of mine lost his house, he and family had to move back to his parents place, definitely brought that family closer together in a way.:rolleyes:

Fair play - i'd have considered that a negative thing ... :rolleyes:

Seriously, is there anything good in this sudden sharp change to our country. not trying to offend folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

There was a recession of recession threads. Now it's fixed :)

I can wear a penneys dress to a wedding now and I won't get funny looks - yay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

An end to the blurring of our middle classes from the great unwashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most people can now have a sleep in every day of the week and get paid for it at the same time . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm hearing yis, I'm liking it. :)

Okay, okay, trying to be positive about it. It's exposed just how terrible our politicians and political system is. It shows how out of touch our TD's are. It also somewhat shows the ignorance of (not all, I know) the Irish people. I honestly can't find one good thing, my family have gotten pay cuts, I notice that money is tighter, college fee's could be coming back, and I might be the only sibling in my family who has to get a loan out to pay them.

Jesus and I started out trying to be positive.

I guess less cars on the road = less CO2 emissions. Maybe when this is over the Irish economy will be stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

jumpguy wrote: »
    Definetly the lower standard of living.

We're still the second most expensive country in the EU if you're to believe what you read.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I can't say I've noticed much of a change either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheBouldNaoise

Best thing about this recession is anticipating the boning FF are going to get at the next election. Cowen, Martin, Hanafin, O'Dea and the rest of the gob****es...can't wait to hear them bleat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Domo230 wrote: »
    Three euro fifty recession burger meal from burger king

It's gotta be this or the Weekly Madness rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

-The generous social welfare payments.

-An excuse to go back to college for another year.

That_Guy wrote: »
    We're still the second most expensive country in the EU if you're to believe what you read.
    ****, we are? There goes another positive. The economy needs to reset imo. The retarded pay rises and high inflation have just frightened away all foreign investment. We've lost the "cheap employment" and certain Eastern European countries can work for diddly squat. Standard of living is going down slowly though, that is a sign of hope for the future...just hope it keeps going down.

Isn't bring back college fee's abit of a step backwards though? What about this "smart/knowledge" economy the government is trying to create? Where we all hold diploma's and degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

The recession hasn't changed a whole lot really , the country is still split between those who have and those who don't.

The only thing that needs to change is we need to build more prisons to accomadate the enivitable increase in people who will need to be re-housed away from normal society.

You know the ones , the ones who have worked for years to house , feed and educate their families and then see it all collapse because some ars3hole who was intrusted to secure that future couldn't be bothered thus forcing the hard working , tax paying , bank depositing poor fecker try his hand at crime , something he is woefully unqualified to do and ends up in a 8' x 4' with some other equaly woefully under qualified criminal fecker.

double vodka and red bull is a fiver in cuba, galway lately.. apart from my rent dropping, that's personally the second best thing about the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Best thing about this recession is anticipating the boning FF are going to get at the next election. Cowen, Martin, Hanafin, O'Dea and the rest of the gob****es...can't wait to hear them bleat!!!
    By that time everyone will have suddenly forgotten their hatred of FF and they'll kick ass again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

Pygmalion wrote: »
    By that time everyone will have suddenly forgotten their hatred of FF and they'll kick ass again.

No they won't , I'll keep remining ye right up till 2012 what a shower of bastards they are .

Then again I am very forgetful , put a note in your diary , something along the lines of vote FF - No , reason , because Brian Cowen is an ugly yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

knowing I'm about to go into college in a recession and that when I leave college, it'll be over.

Also, kudos on the anti-FF sentiments. ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

galwayrush wrote: »

funny:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

My journey time into work has gone from 45 minutes, down to 25, due to less traffic on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That's not going to happen. People got poorer not smarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Between here and the next elections the average Fianna Fail voter is going to continue to wallow in their own sordid pit of ignorance, abusing farm animals, going to Mass while dribbling on their best suit, beating their kids, nurturing each others small-mindedness - while all the time silently preparing to once again to return to their local polling station to reward and reinstate Fianna Fail.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

davyjose wrote: »
    For me, it's that I genuinely seem to be less materialistic, and am that little bit closer to my family because of it... probably :)

Wow...thats incredibly ghey. What the hell were you drinking last night? Gin & tonic by the sounds of it =P

I dunno. I guess people are starting to appreciate money again. To be fair, most just threw the cash around in better times on silly things, and would probably regret a lot of things they had bought / pissed their money away on. Worse still, a lot of people bought outside their means and now find themselves with no jobs to pay for them.

I absolutely hate R threads, but I guess if it means people reset and appreciate the basic things - then it can't all be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Definitely the Euro saver menu. 18 nuggets and a large fries 8.40. Boo-ya!

-Funk

Advertisement