Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death

• 25-07-2009 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭

Always wondered, why are so many people scared of death? In my opinion we go back to the state we were in before we were born, which is nothing to be scared of. Just want to see what other people say...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I read a quote from.... i can't remember... saying

"Why would dyingbother me? I was dead for billions of years before and it never bothered me then"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah I'm not scared of it either - total and absolute tranquility.. personally I believe in Heaven, so I don't know if that's more of a comfort?

I think what some people find more scary about death is the effect it will have on their loved ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheBouldNaoise

Nice one Kev...I'll smoke one of what yer having.

Death...nothing to worry about - we're already living in the corpse we are going to get buried in. Party on.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Makes you wonder .. what's the point in it all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I reckon that people are scared of the unknown. Not knowing what the hell is or indeed, if anything will happen when we die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I just fear for everyone else. What a terrible place this world would be without me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

i don't think it's an actual fear of death. Just more of a fear of losing a loved one.

People are also curious. They want to know if there's a heaven or hell. They'd like to know if they can see any family members who passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

I will worry about it whenever it happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't worry about it, because there's **** all i can do about it, can't stop it, it's going to happen some day, so i'll enjoy the ride while i'm still on this rollercoaster called life.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Because it's the great unknown for people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

galwayrush wrote: »
    I don't worry about it, because there's **** all i can do about it, can't stop it, it's going to happen some day, so i'll enjoy the ride while i'm still on this rollercoaster called life.:)

Yet you're wasting it away on boards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I've never found that I ever fear death but who knows it might when it gets closer. But I guess people fear the unknown and what actually comes with death. Nothingness doesn't sound great to most.
    People use religion depending on the situation as a way to fill this gap with the concept of heaven. Its pointless to fear it as it'll inevitably happen but it makes us human to deal with this faith of ours in whatever way we choose to.
    I don't think many people fear it to a major extent except when it is closest. So thats my opinion.
    A bit of bs in there possibly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Always wondered, why are so many people scared of death?

Maybe it's the the not knowing what happens inside your body before you die, or the thought of what your death will do to the people you love.
    Or even how you will die.

Cancer victim will be scared of the pain they are facing,and will also be anxious about the effect their death will have on their families.

It's final, there's no going or coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

You come into this world with nothing, you leave this world with nothing. Whatever happens in between its up to everyone to make the most of it.

It is going to happen some day, not a thing we can do about it, enjoy life while we can :)

Life is ****s and Giggles, :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Death of loved ones scares me more than my own death tbh.
    Can't honestly say i'm scared of it come to think of it.
    Probably not a great attitude tbh- fear of death is probably a healthy thing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Dyng is the rough part. Being dead is easy street comparatively. On your death bed for 10 weeks though - that's not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr_H_Lecter

Think it was chopra who said something along the lines of "we never stop dying" ....eh... or something. Anyway yeah we change and renew all the time, the younger us is dead to this world, just a memory. Right now millions of cells are dying and thats a fact. All of you will have been renewed in ...7 (?) years i think. Everythings impermanent, to live forever couldnt be nice. who knows whats beyond this world.
    deepak chopra and ajahn brahm are well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

I dont fear it, I used to wish it, now I'll just do my best, I dont think theres anything to fear, I believe its simply a new beginning and very natural thing. EDIT: For the person involved, leading up to it in some cases is nasty, and very frightening and I'm not saying if my life was threatend I'd be all mellow and natural.
    I fear more for people who I love not understanding it and taking it bad.

I dont believe its the last stop.

We are born to die.
    The fact that we are aware of it, is what separates us from every other living thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Its the unknown people are afraid of more than death.. No one knows whats after death, if there is anything at all...
    I think if people knew for deffo that there was a heaven, it wouldnt be such a big issue to be honest...
    I equate death to be something like when your in a deep sleep an not dreaming ect..
    Just a nothingness...
    Although i cant imagine the day i will take my last breath...
    It is scary when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

Its the people who are afraid to live that scare me , bound by fecking rules

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

We are born to die.
    The fact that we are aware of it, is what separates us from every other living thing.

i think animals are very aware that they can die, or could die or will eventually die.. is that no the survival instinct?

We are born to die.

We are born to rock, :cool: Black Sabbath playing here, i am pissed, life is good.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭terrytrent

I remember having a drunken conversation about this before, I like the idea of there being nothing after death ( as someone else said). So many people put hope in a heaven-like place. Don't like the idea of that, it will be full of people, and I spend most of my time here trying to shake those C***s off

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Life is short. That's why I fear death anyway. I know I haven't got long to figure out what the important things are, and even less time to actually go and do them. Relative to death, life in infinitismally short, so it's worth making the most of it (whatever that may mean). A premature death, or just death in general, seems like an awful shame for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'm not afraid of death as such, but I'm certainly afraid of being stabbed to death, shot to death, dying in hospital of a terminal illness etc etc. Actually now that you've forced me to think of it I'm not afraid of death at all, just afraid of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I like the expression "Death is God's way of telling you to slow down".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We are born to die.

I think animals are aware of death, a mother will feed its cub so it won't die, if it does die, she'll move on without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I like the expression "Death is God's way of telling you to slow down".

You can't get any slower than dead that's for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

What will the world revolve around when I'm gone :confused: :rolleyes:

whycliff wrote: »
    i think animals are very aware that they can die, or could die or will eventually die.. is that no the survival instinct?

When we are old enough to understand death, then we realise it will someday happen to us.
    So we continue to live knowing that fact, and worrying about it.

An animal could see it's (Parent) or whatever you want to call it, run down on the road.

That won't stop that animal crossing the road because it has no concept that the same thing could happen to it.

They are missing the ability to think things through.
    A simple puzzle, yes.
    But the dangers in life and understanding the consequences of them, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭terrytrent

When we are old enough to understand death, then we realise it will someday happen to us.
    So we continue to live knowing that fact, and worrying about it.

An animal could see it's (Parent) or whatever you want to call it, run down on the road.

That won't stop that animal crossing the road because it has no concept that the same thing could happen to it.

They are missing the ability to think things through.
    A simple puzzle, yes.
    But the dangers in life and understanding the consequences of them, no.

deep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm not scared of death, im scared of the physical pain. I mean if it hurts so much that it kills you, it must hurt. Alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yer all freakin me out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Apparently in life, were sure of two things, Death and Taxes!

Death i can deal with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I dont want to die but if it happens it happens.
    Not scared of dying but i am scared of pain.
    i dont like pain and dying hurts a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

When I die everyone else is going to explode, its the chief tenant of my new religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't fear death too much to be honest.. Welcome it more than anything. There's a sort of morbid relief in it all being over.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

I dunno, Im not particularly scared as long as its not a painful death....just wanna go in my sleep when im an oldie.
    I always wonder what happens after though, got a few different theories...

• Advertisement

TomCo wrote: »
    When I die everyone else is going to explode, its the chief tenant of my new religion.

Oooh interesting, whats this religion?
    Methinks you should call it....Tomolicism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Always wondered, why are so many people scared of death? In my opinion we go back to the state we were in before we were born, which is nothing to be scared of. Just want to see what other people say...

I guess that there is a fear of death as a product of the concept of a "greater" (or "more powerful") being that/who either doesn't care for us or is antagonistic toward us "some way".

Imagine it is possible that "life as we know it" is essentially a momentary rest or escape from some terrible evil (some predator, tyrant &c.).

& that's just one possible cause.

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

Random wrote: »
    Makes you wonder .. what's the point in it all?

why does there have to be a point?

you're a product of life on this planet that has evolved over time.

why does there have to be some great design or plan?

some people live 70/80 years, some live much less,

long time in our minds but just a blink of an eye in evolutionary terms or in terms of how long this planet has been around.

much less again in terms of how long the universe has been around.

at this moment we've never had it better in how much intelligence we have about our place in the scheme of things.

try to enjoy it if you can.

You'll be a long time dead. ;)

I always thought that like was about preparing for death. That way you lived life to it's fullest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's not so much that I'm afraid of death. It's that I'm very, very fond of life, and death means no more life, no more experiences, no more... well, anything really. I'm in absolutely no hurry to die, and if I do so before I've had a good innings, I'm going to be really, really pissed off.

NTM

Jafin wrote: »
    Oooh interesting, whats this religion?
    Methinks you should call it....Tomolicism...

I wanted to call it "Megadeath" but there were IP and brand identity issues.

I wanted to call it "Megadeath" but there were IP and brand identity issues.

No no you can get around it if your talking about the band, see the idiots that made the band spelled "Death" wrong, they forgot the "a" bwahahaha! So just keep it as Megadeath and you should be fine.:pac:

Jafin wrote: »
    No no you can get around it if your talking about the band, see the idiots that made the band spelled "Death" wrong, they forgot the "a" bwahahaha! So just keep it as Megadeath and you should be fine.:pac:

Yeah, thats what I said!
    Apparently thats not enough though, just like that scrabble application on facebook that got the sack - "Scrabulous".

Edit: I personally blame Dave Mustaine.

Yeah, thats what I said!

Apparently thats not enough though, just like that scrabble application on facebook that got the sack - "Scrabulous".

Scrabulous? Rofl, priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Death? What yall know about death?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/06/Tom-Berenger---Platoon-Photograph-C12150192.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement