Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borders blanchardstown all books half price

Options
  • 25-07-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Borders bookshop is closing down in blanchardstown .All books are being sold off at half price,got a few today.
    I would have thought that in a recession book shops would do well when people have so much more free time to read.
    Obviously they were too expensive?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Queue last week was simply OBSCENE (30-60 minutes ) You would have to be desperate or spend at least 50 euro for it to be worth while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

The recession is great. If Chapters bookshop ever does a closing down sale on Parnell st., I'll be bringing over a hundred quid and a shopping trolley with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I think the place was probably run very badly. The staff hadn't a clue about how to handle crowds or to manage a sale in any kind of efficient way, either that or they were taking out their being-fired-grumpiness on customers and making sure the place doesn't run out of stuff to sell before they close and have them out of a job even earlier. They were changing opening and closing times randomly, lying to people about how long the queues would be, keeping some tills closed, putting the half-price discount through on items separately rather than at the end (i.e. slower), all kinds of rubbish. I saw people waiting in slow-moving queues with a couple of books, certainly not worth it unless you're buying loads.

I'm guessing their average profits weren't high enough to keep the bosses in England happy. But they'll still be making some small profit on those books they're selling at half-price - big chain stores would buy books at a substantial discount, less than 50% of the cover price per book.

Incidentally tons of the Chapters stuff is very reasonably priced, I know they've always been great with the bargains and reductions but was in there yesterday and now even more so. Mmm, books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

Borders bookshop is closing down in blanchardstown .All books are being sold off at half price,got a few today.
    I would have thought that in a recession book shops would do well when people have so much more free time to read.

Apparently they were the most profitable borders store along with the store in Oxford street in London,but they got a good price on the lease..

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/91715-page.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

claire h wrote: »
    I think the place was probably run very badly. The staff hadn't a clue about how to handle crowds or to manage a sale in any kind of efficient way, either that or they were taking out their being-fired-grumpiness on customers and making sure the place doesn't run out of stuff to sell before they close and have them out of a job even earlier. They were changing opening and closing times randomly, lying to people about how long the queues would be, keeping some tills closed, putting the half-price discount through on items separately rather than at the end (i.e. slower), all kinds of rubbish. I saw people waiting in slow-moving queues with a couple of books, certainly not worth it unless you're buying loads.

I disagree,The staff were always very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable all the times I was there.

I don't think anyone working there could have predicted the chaos that would ensue with the closing down sale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

Any idea how much longer it's open for? I got a few things out there but they by no means carry a comprehensive range such as Waterstones or Hodges Figgis. I rang one time to enquire if they had Long Day's Journey into Night. The guy never heard of it and took him about half an hour to come back with a response...and no, they didn't have it.

Advertisement