Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Pole removal fees!!!

Options
  • 25-07-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Recently tried to get Eircom to move a pole as it obstructing a farm entrance & is a real hazard to large machinery. There are already wires underground so its not a big deal to get it moved.

After contacting Eircom they sent out an invoice of €340 for a "plant survey" on top of that they are going to charge a pole moveal fee. Can the moval fee be challenged?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Wouldnt it be easier to "hope" some dopey driver could pull/knock it down.

Or even an ejit with a chainsaw?

There are all sorts of maniacs around these days and anything could happen to it. Tell EircoN where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Firewood for a year. Or a useful garden feature just like railway sleepers only probably safer for the garden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

If it is on your property remove it yourself, and back date charges to eircom for rental of the same plot of land. Eircom have NO rights to plonk a pole wherever they wish, the ESB do however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

DOS wrote: »
    If it is on your property remove it yourself, and back date charges to eircom for rental of the same plot of land. Eircom have NO rights to plonk a pole wherever they wish, the ESB do however.

I will have to investigate if its on my land, its outside the ditch though. We need to move the ditch back to let in a harvester, but that bloody pole will still be in the way, so it needs to be moved!

There are all sorts of maniacs around these days and anything could happen to it. Tell EircoN where to go.

What are the chances of that! Eircom made sure we knew it was there pole anyway!
    Please also note that the plant in question is and remains the property of eircom. We would therefore caution you against attempting to move it without eircom’s consent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superscouse

What are the chances of that! Eircom made sure we knew it was there pole anyway!

I dont think you understand my post. Perhaps you should read it again.
    If you were away for a few days, and something happened to the post, then problem solved !!!;)

• Advertisement

Put it another way,

If someone vandalised it and hacked it down, it would be an awful pity.

Eircom have put this country back at least ten years in telecommunications and now they are all about profit - bollix to the consumer, I have no pity for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its their asset/property so i would be bit wary of cutting it. Get a contractoer yourself to lift it out of the ground and leave it on the ground next to the ditch and they can pick it up when they want, then you cant be done for damaging it.

It will only take seconds for a contractor to remove it from the ground with a pole extractor on a jcb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You cannot charge them rental for it . They have substantially the same rights as the ESB .

They cannot charge you €340 for the survey because the charge is not published anywhere, contact comreg about this 'hidden' charge and ask comreg to show wher eit is published .

If it 'falls over' (as others have said) they will not bother replacing it , does it serve anybody ???

Davy wrote: »
    Its their asset/property so i would be bit wary of cutting it. Get a contractoer yourself to lift it out of the ground and leave it on the ground next to the ditch and they can pick it up when they want, then you cant be done for damaging it.

It will only take seconds for a contractor to remove it from the ground with a pole extractor on a jcb.

At no time did i suggest taking it down yourself.

However, if it happened in the dead of night by some vandal/concerned citizen/wronged Eircom customer, well, thats a different matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

At no time did i suggest taking it down yourself.

However, if it happened in the dead of night by some vandal/concerned citizen/wronged Eircom customer, well, thats a different matter...

I never said you did, and i fully understand your point ;) i was just giving the op an option as the contractor hadn't been suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've seen ESB poles completely uprooted during really strong winds - happened near my parents place a few years back.

Be careful tonight if you're anywhere near the coast, there's a gale warning in effect. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You cannot charge them rental for it . They have substantially the same rights as the ESB .

They cannot charge you €340 for the survey because the charge is not published anywhere, contact comreg about this 'hidden' charge and ask comreg to show wher eit is published .

If it 'falls over' (as others have said) they will not bother replacing it , does it serve anybody ???

Bob both you and I know comreg won't give a monkeys, friend of mine had this exact same problem with eircom and comreg didn't care less and saids eircom had the right to charge.

Thankfully he got it all sorted in the end for nothing and all was perfectly legal :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Put it another way,

If someone vandalised it and hacked it down, it would be an awful pity.

Eircom have put this country back at least ten years in telecommunications and now they are all about profit - bollix to the consumer, I have no pity for them.

Can we not suggest illegal activity's, if you think eircom have put Ireland back 10 years then you've not seen Three and the NBS in action yet :)

Broadband...what Broadband?

Agreed Cabaal, vandalism is wrong. Hopefully the guards will be able to sort it out;)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bob both you and I know comreg won't give a monkeys,

Ah but we know they will not be able to point to any document where eircom have stated that a pole 'survey' will cost €340

The OP has never said if the pole is in use, are there any wires coming off it to any premises ???

Ah but we know they will not be able to point to any document where eircom have stated that a pole 'survey' will cost €340

The OP has never said if the pole is in use, are there any wires coming off it to any premises ???

Yes to a house which we own. I looked at the pole. It is in the middle of ditch. So technically we don't own it. Right? I sent a letter to Eircom explaining why I was not paying the pole moval fee! They should move it free of charge! I ant paying any more money then that lousy fee!

I don't understand this:
    "they will not be able to point to any document where eircom have stated that a pole 'survey' will cost €340"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Does the pole pre date the gate? Are there any wires attached to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Are you saying you actually paid them the survey fee? Winds have terrible effect on poles in the country, would not be surprising to find it laid out on ground after tonights winds. Besdies if the field entrance is too small for the harvester then maybe you should move the entrance to the field, or get a smaller harvester. Large farm machinery on small country roads is dangerious and silly.

astrofool wrote: »

There's no gate just an entrance. There are wires to a house but the wires are not in use anymore. The house has no landline.
    Are you saying you actually paid them the survey fee? Winds have terrible effect on poles in the country, would not be surprising to find it laid out on ground after tonights winds. Besdies if the field entrance is too small for the harvester then maybe you should move the entrance to the field, or get a smaller harvester. Large farm machinery on small country roads is dangerious and silly.

Yes I paid them the fee. Do you think they would answer a complaint without cash.

"move the entrance to the field" :confused:

The harvester is no mine it's a contractors & some how I don't think he is going to get a new one just for me. I really need that pole moved.

With all due respect to cabaal, but this is getting silly.

If someone accidentally knocked it down, but didnt admit to it, then your problem is solved!

This is my last post on this matter as I dont want to get banned

• Advertisement

Thanks every one for posting and giving me all the different routes & options to go.

The pole serves nobody and serves no purpose , €340 is quite enough for eircom as long as the pole mysteriously falls 'elegantly' to the side of the road where it is not a hazard .

Having paid €300+ Vat the OP will now be charged between €3500 and €5000 for the removal . This is taking the piss when a new pole ( including wiring) costs eircom €600 according to themselves .

source for costings ( you may take it I know about the €600 and that it is correct )

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/councilmeetings/councilminutes/thefile,1726,en.pdf
    5. Removal of Eircom Poles from Boundary Fences
    Pursuant to Notice duly given, Cllr. S. Fitzgerald PROPOSED:-
    “That Kerry County Council call on Eircom to take full responsibility in the removal
    of poles on roads where boundary fences have been set back due to conditions which
    are imposed on individuals when planning permission was granted.”
    Mr. G. O’Brien, A/SEO, said that this is a matter for consideration by the members.
    Cllr. S. Fitzgerald said this issue arises when a boundary wall is set back and the
    telephone pole is left on the side of the road. It is also a health and safety issue.
    Eircom charge €300 to assess the situation and they charge between €3,500 and
    €5,000 to move the pole. Eircom placed the pole with the goodwill of the Council or
    landowner. He asked if Eircom have a statutory right to place these poles. He asked
    who is responsible if an accident were to occur involving one of these poles

Cllr. D. Healy-Rae said he had an Emergency Motion on this issue some time ago. He
    was aware of a case where Eircom sought €20,000 to remove a pole. He said he had
    sought assistance from the Roads Department to consult with Eircom on this issue.
    When elected members allocate County Councillor’s allocations to move ditches
    Eircom will not move the pole.

The councillors are not lying !

Forgot to mention !!!

If that pole is on your land and you set your boundary or entrance back thereby 'stranding' the pole well outside on what 'appears' to be a public roadway then YOU are responsible for making sure it is visible at night .

If some flute hits it they may have a case agaiinst you ( not eircom ) .

In some countries the liability follows the 'easement' (eircoms right to erect ) but in Ireland the liability follows the property owner .

Did eircom advise you of this if the pole is on your land ????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

padocon wrote: »
    There's no gate just an entrance. There are wires to a house but the wires are not in use anymore. The house has no landline.

Just because the house has no landline right now, does not mean they will be able to take the pole down, as the occupier of the house may want a landline in the future, the charge may be to cover the cost of burying the line to the boundary of the properties wall.

Did the pole pre date the entrance being created?

Just because the house has no landline right now, does not mean they will be able to take the pole down, as the occupier of the house may want a landline in the future, the charge may be to cover the cost of burying the line to the boundary of the properties wall.

Did the pole pre date the entrance being created?

I own the house, its rented. The entrance was there before the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The entrance was there before the pole.

Should that not be problem solved. Eircom are blocking your entrance. By doing so it's a hazard. Unless it's only "close" to the entrance and you just want it gone.

Got a pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

padocon wrote:
    Do you think they would answer a complaint without cash.

They should, if they're supposed to.
    I own the house, its rented. The entrance was there before the pole.

Have you asked eircom if it's OK to remove it yourself, since no one is using the line off it?

Anyway, have a look at this for a laugh, eircom want €16,000 to remove this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They cannot charge you €340 for the survey because the charge is not published anywhere
    +1
    Yes I paid them the fee. Do you think they would answer a complaint without cash.
    When you rang first did they tell you there would be a fee and how much it was? if so why did you agree and later complain.

Of course they will answer a complaint without cash. If they had said the fee was €100,000 would you have just accepted it and paid it and then complained afterwards?
    Agreed Cabaal, vandalism is wrong. Hopefully the guards will be able to sort it out;)
    Indeed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandalism
    Vandalism is the behaviour attributed to the Vandals, by the Romans, in respect of culture: ruthless destruction or spoiling of anything beautiful or venerable. Such action includes criminal damage, defacement, graffiti and crass erection of an eyesore.
    Hopefully eircom will be prosecuted accordingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I wonder if the local authority / a local councilor could throw some weight behind your case OP ?

I know know based on the joke the thread as turned into im asking for trouble :D but might be worth a try ?

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    They should, if they're supposed to.

Have you asked eircom if it's OK to remove it yourself, since no one is using the line off it?

Anyway, have a look at this for a laugh, eircom want €16,000 to remove this one.

No one is using the line it is off but if the pole is removed where will the lines go. They can't lie on the road. There is a house across the road too so I presume they would be cut off too.
    rubadub wrote: »
    +1

When you rang first did they tell you there would be a fee and how much it was? if so why did you agree and later complain.

Of course they will answer a complaint without cash. If they had said the fee was €100,000 would you have just accepted it and paid it and then complained afterwards?

Indeed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandalism

Hopefully eircom will be prosecuted accordingly!

"+1" I don't understand about the fee not being published. What has that go to do?

"When you rang first did they tell you there would be a fee and how much it was? if so why did you agree and later complain."

I emailed, they sent back an invoice. I thought if I wanted the pole moved I would have to pay the fee, If I made a complaint they could argue for the year.

Advertisement