Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pickled eggs for beginners

Options
  • 25-07-2009 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭

1st timer move it if its in the wrong spot,
    I'm not at all good at cooking but not afraid to try.

Ok, story is i like eggs scrambled ,boiled do a mean omlette with a little onion and some black pudding and cheese,

so i was looking at doing some pickled eggs just to have around as a snack or to grab 1 for breakfast maybe as i'm not great 1st thing in morning,anyway all of the recepies seem to involve placing the eggs in a jar of vinegar with maybe some of the following: peppercorns,chilli, onions, peppers,cinamon stick, but quite often beetroot which is something i'm not really that gone on,

now i know you should probably stick to what you like best yourself but i do plan to experiment with a few different jars so has any body got any tips advice or favorites,

cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Never tried pickling eggs, but if you want a snack you could always just hard-boil some and return to the fridge still in their shells. They're good for a few days like that - just remember to pencil something on the shell, like the date you boiled them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

thanks for advice just fancy trying em i know its more of a british thing but i like picked onions,gherkins etc......could eat the whole jar, so i'll be giving the eggs a try,just checking for tips really but say i'm ok.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This is the brine I make for pickling cucumbers:

3 small onions, thinly sliced
    350g sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    225ml cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar

It's absolutely delicious with cucumbers. I don't know how the eggs would fare...but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

tried the pickled eggs after keeping them in the fridge for 3-4 weeks,stored em with some beetroot in the brine

yuck!!:(

glad i only tried a small quantity,maye i'll try em in the brine with chillis or peppercorns,but the one i ate the other night was horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco are now selling jars of pickled eggs, it was in the section with ketchup & sauces, near the pickle type sauces, think there were 2 types.

I might try a single one in a jar, I get small jars of garlic paste which come in handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement