Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

want to upgrade my monitor... advice?

• 25-07-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

hi guys, working off the same monitor ive had for about 7 years now an dits time for an upgrade... to let you know how old it is, well its a gateway 19" old school huge heavy yoke.. Im happy enough with my dell as i went pretty high spec around 5 years ago but its still running PS and the like fairly well.
    Ive seen numerous monitors advertised in the likes of Aldi etc, and i was just wondering where there any good buys around at the moment. My budget would be approx 150euro, so any pointers or advice would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am in the market for an LCD and the first piece of advice I had received was "If the description says TN technology - stay away from that." It has something to do with viewing angles and contrast. I don't know, but if you google some tests and comparisons for processing screens, you won't find many TN displays tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

ThOnda wrote: »
    I am in the market for an LCD and the first piece of advice I had received was "If the description says TN technology - stay away from that." It has something to do with viewing angles and contrast. I don't know, but if you google some tests and comparisons for processing screens, you won't find many TN displays tested.

Won't usually tell you that though... if its TN. That sort of screen is kind of sparkley and the colour white can look kind of grainy.

Komplett.ie have a good range of monitors might be one place to look http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=11158&mfr=&filter=PRICE.100-250.

A new think seems to be 16:9 aspect ratio displays instead of 16:10. This does make the screen very wide for less height, would prefer 16:10 shape myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what you really want is one of these

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-lacie-730-led-monitor-with-hood-calibration-software-and-colourmeter/p1028365

no seriously, heres a site to look at

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

you can put in the model of the screen and it will tell you what panel is in it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

what does everyone else use are you happy with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I only use a dell laptop monitor (lcd) and a little acer netbook but after I got a print test card from photobox (posted earlier in the week about), I can say that the laptop monitor is pure muck for viewing / preparing photographs. Its funny because I would have criticised photobox before for unpredictable outputs but I think in reality it may have well been the preparation of the batch which I sent them.

Ironically the €250 netbook (glossy screen) is way better than the laptop (matt screen) but still the contrast and colour saturation and general vibrancy are way wrong.

I haven't done anything with the colour management in vista on the laptop so i'm wondering will that do anything to redeem it.

So I think you are right to spend time ensuring it is right and doing the research.

• Advertisement
Advertisement