Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars being broke into in Dublin 15

• 25-07-2009 4:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Has anybody had any experience of their cars being stolen or broke into lately? 2 cars in my estate were stolen last week, and now tonight my friends car was broke into? It seems that the person who broke into my friends car also stole one of the cars in the same estate last week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Is it in Ongar

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there a pattern in terms of model or engine?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It seems to be on the rise. From what I've heard anyway. More stories about it than last year that's for sure. I reckon we'll see a spike in this because of the recession lark. From just the small number I've heard about it didn't seem to be joyriders so much either. Stolen or broken into for profit more like. Newer cars too, not the usual targets. More house break ins too.

The problem is what to do about it? Extra security is a must. If you've paid thousands for a car and only invest 20 quid on a crappy wheel lock then I've little sympathy for you.

Then there's the Guards and the judicial system behind them. There seems to be little will to crack down on property crime in this country. I have seen and heard too many unreal examples of that. Basically the scum know their chances of being caught are minimal and if they are very little will happen. Certainly not enough to be a deterrent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

i got done by the scum last monday nigh/tuesday morning d20.they smashed the window and took some stuff but it cost me a day off work and 300 euros for the repair.they should do what the americans do and treat this crime as grand theft auto with heavy jail sentences because outside of a house your car is probably the most expensive thing you own and why should it be treated as a misdemeanour. the guards? attitude is a joke as well,when i rang them they made me feel like a ****ing criminal for wasting their time.rant over feel better already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Has anybody had any experience of their cars being stolen or broke into lately? 2 cars in my estate were stolen last week, and now tonight my friends car was broke into? It seems that the person who broke into my friends car also stole one of the cars in the same estate last week.

A few weeks ago we had about 2-3 weeks of cars getting radio stolen /GPS oR something taken from the car. It has stopped now.

I live in D15 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Dartz

In fairness, you're a bloody moron if you leave your GPS stuck to the front window. Smart people take it out, take it off, or just put it inside the glovebox.

The trick to avoid getting your car broke into is not to leave anything worth stealing obvious inside. And cars are always being broken into in d15.<SNIP>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unwyse wrote: »
    they should do what the americans do and treat this crime as grand theft auto with heavy jail sentences because outside of a house your car is probably the most expensive thing you own and why should it be treated as a misdemeanour. the guards? attitude is a joke as well,when i rang them they made me feel like a ****ing criminal for wasting their time.rant over feel better already
    +1000. Now to be fair to the cops(and I know a couple), they have their hands tied way too much too. Resources for this kinda thing are not a major priority it seems. The sentences handed down are minimal. The Guards know this and worse so do the scum. If you're a cop and you potentially risk your neck to pinch some car thieving scumbag or house breaker and he's out in a couple of months I can see why they wouldn't bother TBH. I even know of some who left the force pretty disillusioned by it all, or stayed and just gave up.

That said there are things they could do. There are very well known places (in Dublin anyway) where the scum "joyride" and burn out cars. Some of these places have a few burnt out cars sitting there after the weekend. The cops know it, they can see it, they know who is doing it, yet what do they do? Sweet fcuk all. To a frankly utterly scandalous degree. You would wonder what the hell is the point. You really would.

As a perfect example of this, check this link on another car forum out http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50994 (I gather the chap is a non native english speaker hence the spelling. The swear filter is a good one:D). This is a place across the road from the police station!! TBH I do agree with some of the posters there when they say he should take the Guards on in a legal case for not providing the service they're bloody well supposed to.

There's another place similar in Tallaght. Actually two I can think of, one of which I luckily got my old car back from 10 years ago(again the police were as much use as tits on a bull). It's still being used as a dumping ground for stolen joyridden cars 10 years on. And what are the "authorities" doing about this? Sweet Fanny Adams. Yet they'll spend millions on tax collecting devices and duties.

This country needs to go down the New York route. Hit these people early for minor crimes and hit them hard. If they keep on that road hit them even harder. A goodly proportion of the heavy duty criminals in this country got their start doing "small" property based crimes. They either got away with it completely or they got a slap on the wrist. Now if they hit them young and hit tehir parents too.... Throw in a decent rehab programme too BTW. Many people do calm down and sort themselves out with guidance. They're not scum for life, they're only scum if they're enabled to be and theyre not just in so called disadvantaged areas either. I know some very wealthy scum from "good" families. Of course there are a small amount who are just scum full stop. They should be removed from our society permanently. Personally what I would do to them would invoke Godwins law far too much...

Do I think this will ever happen in this country of ours? Do I hell.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Dartz wrote: »
    In fairness, you're a bloody moron if you leave your GPS stuck to the front window. Smart people take it out, take it off, or just put it inside the glovebox.

The trick to avoid getting your car broke into is not to leave anything worth stealing obvious inside.
    QFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

And cars are always being broken into in d15. .

The **** is your problem? Where do you live?

Most of D15 is very nice, its just a few kippy estates bringin the rest of the area down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

And cars are always being broken into in d15.
    Dopey comment. D15 is a massive, massive area ffs, pretty much the entire NW of Dublin under the same postal code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

dartz, as easy as it would be for me to make a general insult about you or your surroundings, and as much as i would like to right now, it wont do any good.

Instead would you like to retract your statement before you get untold abuse from every other d15 member here. there are quite a lot. remember we do have our own section in boards.

Back on topic, rafa, whereabouts are you based, pm if you like, just so i can get a heads up for friends and family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The trick to avoid getting your car broke into is not to leave anything worth stealing obvious inside. And cars are always being broken into in d15. .

The guy I spoke too had his gps in the glove box. They still break in and in through the car looking for stuff. They even opened the boot looking for stuff.

Thieving scum. Unfortunately what ciaran76 said is not that uncommon. I've heard tell of it myself. They'll target all sorts of cars and stereos too. A guy I know had his crappy argos stereo nicked. Broken windows(and door lock:confused::mad:) just to add to the fun. There was a spate of micra robberies a while back. Ditto with fiestas. Not exactly turbo nutter cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'm with Wibbs all the way! Zero tolerance has been shown to work everywhere else, but it needs determined police management and politicians with guts and ability. So that rules Ireland out then:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

I am not from Dublin 15, but have lived there a number of years, as one poster described it as a ****hole is out of line, there are good and bad parts to it, just like anywhere in the country. The cars in my estate that were stolen where all micras, including my friends, but they didnt get away with the car as he was awake when the scumbags attempted to steal it. I spoke to my mate today and he said the guards picked up a car matching the description he gave them, he hasnt heard anything back yet, maybe latter. In fairness his car is a peice of crap!, had no valuables in it, and the scum that broke into were just gonna joyride and burn it out, I think it would have been better just to let them take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

from what i heard there was a breakin in clonee last night, guards caught the getaway car cos the thieves got lost in littlepace!

The scum that tried to steal my friends car also tried to steal one in Fortlawn later than night, thats where they were picked up. The description that my friend gave matched that of the same guys and are known to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    The scum that tried to steal my friends car also tried to steal one in Fortlawn later than night, thats where they were picked up. The description that my friend gave matched that of the same guys and are known to the Gardai.

Many years ago, in Dublin, I had a car stolen. It was abandoned next day in the neighbourhood, with untold damage and vandalism having been inflicted upon it. When I went to retrieve it, I found a garage receipt for petrol on the floor and rang the garage in question, quoting the time on the receipt. The garage confirmed that they had cctv tapes for the previous night, but that they would be recycled/re-used soon, so I notified the Guards of my discovery and they.........................did fcuk all!! They were probably too busy mounting speed traps on dual carriageways or whatever. Dont get me started. BTW, this was back in the day when you lost your NCB for fire and theft claims.

Rant over..........for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Moved from motors. More area related than car related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 raffo_2005

i think someone should start a forum about areas all this happens in and wat they know about the s**m doing it .if there isnt 1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Onkle wrote: »
    Moved from motors. More area related than car related

Thanks Onkle!!

Just bit update on this, I posted above that the Gardai picked somebody up on this, apologies but it was incorrect, crosswires with my mate. What actually happened was a car matching the description and people in the car where seen in Fortlawn area where another car was broke into, but nobody was arrested. But today my mate said he saw them today in the estate, in the same car, so the car they were driving is probably theirs and not stolen, he didnt get a Reg No, as it was very early, he is going to go to where he saw the car tomorrow and get a reg No and check it out, hopefully will be good news, dont know if I will be allowed to post the Reg on here or not, maybe moderator can let me know, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Best not post someone elses reg , esp if they're suspected of criminal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

You should leave reg numbers to Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

After reading this thread last night, my garden shed was broken into and my friends bike was stolen, my neighbour had a bike robbed from his back garden last week while on holiday, so anyone in Hazelbury or the surrounding areas should look at their house security situation and anyone who can help us with this issue please PM me.

After a fair bit of inquiring, I have found out that my shed was broken into by someone very close to me in Hazelbury, seems this person has done both of my neighbours and who knows how many more in my estate and the surrounds. At the moment, he is taking bikes which may seem petty but the one which went missing from my shed was worth e900. I would advise anyone who lives in or around Hazelbury to secure their property and keep an eye out if your neighbour is away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

yeah my shed was broken into aswell and my bike was taken,live down beside coolmine woods..theres a blue van that drives around at night thats up to no good so keep an eye out for it,theres also a red one,got the license number for that tho and reported it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davyby

In the late 80s..showin my age now, petty crime car robbery etc was rife..all due to un-employment..sounds like its back to haunt us again..and it will only get worse as the live register hits 500k by next year. time to round up the vigilantes..:mad:

Wooden sheds are an easy target but most of us have them, after the break in I have now two bolts on my shed and side gate both of which use bolts with no screw-able head on plus an rather loud alarm that I got in Maplins. A bit late but maybe this can be a heads up for friends and neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

In waterville, blasket sq / tory sq area, a lot of cars are getting there windows smashed in. Its not happening in the squares themselves but on the outside roadway.

Advertisement