Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars being broke into in Dublin 15

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

kgpixels wrote: »
    In waterville, blasket sq / tory sq area, a lot of cars are getting there windows smashed in. Its not happening in the squares themselves but on the outside roadway.

A lot of the cars parked on the outside roadways either aren't residents or are left there long term...people notice this. In our area of Waterville a car was smashed up but it had been left in an outer car park for months without moving. Not saying it justifies it, but it obviously drew attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

In waterville, blasket sq / tory sq area, a lot of cars are getting there windows smashed in. Its not happening in the squares themselves but on the outside roadway.

I've seen that also. One car was burned out too.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

athtrasna wrote: »
    A lot of the cars parked on the outside roadways either aren't residents or are left there long term...people notice this. In our area of Waterville a car was smashed up but it had been left in an outer car park for months without moving. Not saying it justifies it, but it obviously drew attention.

The mgmt company have took in permit parking were I am, and it’s pushed some cars to the outside road. So that’s why there are more cars out there.

Also in some cases people need to be careful what they leave on their car seats. Your car could get broken into for what might turn out to be an empty plastic bag on your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

A friend of mine lives in Dublin 15. Must tip him off in case he hasn't heard.

The mgmt company have took in permit parking were I am, and it’s pushed some cars to the outside road. So that’s why there are more cars out there.

Are you in an SPM managed part? I don't know how the leases allow for permit parking? Ours certainly wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Two doors up from me just had his car broken into last night (huntstown area ) smashed window, gps and radio stolen.

No alarm on the car which is kind of ironic as he is a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

A few more broken into in Blasket Square, Waterville last week. It was at the end bordering Anagh Court.
    Apparently one off the cars that had its rear window smashed, had the mark of a GPS suction cup on the front window. This is bait for the thief’s as they will think the GPS is in your glove box. It’s a good idea to wipe you window when you remove your GPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DAnlee

Our Van got broken into in Station Court. Didn steal anything, but broke the window. really annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 nero1916

Danlee, I'm in the same boat. My car was in a "secure" car park underneath the apartment I live on Cork St. Smashed the passenger door window but nothing was taken. Not that there was anything to take. I didnt think calling the gardai would make a difference but when I spoke to my dad, he said that all crimes must be reported. Two gardai arrived, and had a look. I queried as to why the radio wasn't taken (its a decent one) and he said that these days thieves dont look for radios. Instead, its sunglasses(I was surprised aswell), ipods, money and anything else they can use more for themselves. He then asked me if I would like the car dusted for prints. I asked him if it would make a difference. He said no.

I'm now looking for somewhere to replace the window. Autoglass will replace it if I call down to them for €130. I called the scrap yard who said they had the window for €45 (at a push might get him down to €30). I've called a few mechanics but none would fit it and autoglass will only fit the glass you buy off them. If anyone knows anyone, gives a shout. Might save a few pennies.

On the point of the current climate and incidence of breakins increasing, I would expect it. If thieves have nothing to lose and theres no deterrent, they'll do it. It doesnt make me feel safe but dare I say it "thats just the way it is". I'm not gonna worry about, just get on with it. I could point out all the problems in our judicial system but that will fall on deaf ears. I take the point of securing your car as best as possible. I had an alarm but the battery died the night before. Unlucky. Make sure there is nothing "on show" that would entice a rookie thief. Other then that, not much we can do. The sense of community that deterred thieves in a locality is more obvious online then geographical these days. Perhaps things will change.

Nero do you have windscreen cover on your car insurance? Mine covers windows too and was very helpful when my window got done in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 nero1916

Hey Athtrasna,

Unfortunately, I didn't. Went for the cheapest possible policy. Another lesson learnt on the not so wise road to financial ruin :) I'll be sure to make sure ALL windows are covered come renewal. Cheers for the heads up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ART6 wrote: »
    I'm with Wibbs all the way! Zero tolerance has been shown to work everywhere else, but it needs determined police management and politicians with guts and ability. So that rules Ireland out then:rolleyes:

QFT

Advertisement