Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invitation to Drogheda Animal Rescue night

Options
  • 25-07-2009 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

A quick post to invite you all to a charity event in aid of the cats and dogs of Drogheda! We're holding a Craggy Island night at McHughs on Saturday, August 1. There is music (Sopranos and DJ), comedy (Joe Rooney aka Fr. Damo) and nuns with beards - what more could you ask for?

On a serious note, the level of stray and homeless animal in the Co. Louth region is on the rise and without groups such as DAR these animal go to the pound and are euthanased (put to sleep). This charity does great work in rehoming these unfortunate guys and really needs your support.

For more infromation, go to:
    www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=101430071984&ref=ts
    www.dar.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

Ah go on go on go on go on go on go on go ON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mike28

On a serious note, the level of stray and homeless animal in the Co. Louth region is on the rise and without groups such as DAR these animal go to the pound and are euthanased (put to sleep). This charity does great work in rehoming these unfortunate guys and really needs your support.

I used to think DAR was great & recommended to everyone to go there if they seriously wanted a dog. Until recently when a good friend of mine was turned down flat for consideration to rehome a dog another friend of mine had brought in to you guys, because she doesn't have a garden. No house visit, nothing. Never mind the fact that there's ample excellent walks & greens in the area, it would be one of the best cared dogs for ever, and there's at least 5 other dogs in our row, none of which have a garden, and all of which are very happy. Never mind the fact this dog which would right now be settling in to its new loving home is still stuck in a foster home. And never mind the fact that my dog who lives next door to my friend you rejected as a suitable dog owner, also came from you guys (although, to be fair, I did have a garden at the time I adopted him. Which he was never in unless I was with him - wonder if you'll try to take him back now?). Also, never mind the fact that another friend of mine has a garden, was therefore deemed suitable for dog ownership by DARs elitist runners, and I have yet to see that dog leave the garden since the novelty wore off a week later, or have any interaction with its new owner other than when they put food into the garden for it.

The level of strays does continue to rise. But why wouldn't it, when the organisations there to help feel they can deem people unfit without even checking the full facts or extending the curtesy of a house call? And how can DAR feel justified in turning down such a caring potential owner, sight unseen, leaving that dog open to homelessness, while they then go to the pound, or a breeder, and get a different dog straight away? I don't believe DAR do great work. I believe they are closed-minded & antiquated in their approach. Garden does not equal happy cared-for dog.

So I do believe I'll not waste money or time supporting an organisation who doesn't truly care about the animal, only that they have a garden they can be kicked out into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Have to say I agree with DAR's policy on this. There are certain pets that are suitable for flats and there are certain ones that aren't. Dogs aren't and I don't care how caring the owner is. Just because there are people who live in flats that have dogs does not make it right.

DAR are 100% correct to wait for someone with a garden to adopt the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

What about all those dogs in New York and Paris that live what seems to be perfectly happy lives in apartments??

I have a collie AND a garden but have to say he would live perfectly happily without it! He goes out there to go to the loo and that's about it!

In fact it is quite possible that there are a lot of dogs living in flats, apartments and garden-less houses that get a far better quality of life as they are brought out regularly for walks and toilet breaks and are genuinely wanted and looked after really well due to the extra work involved in caring for them.

Exactly, Sudzs. If Scotty believes that dogs are supposed to be outdoors all the time, that's Scotty's personal decision to keep their dog outdoors in the garden all the time. It shouldn't be up to a voluntary organisation to dictate who is suitable for dog ownership in such an abrupt manner as my friend was told.

When I lived in a house with a garden, my dog waited by the back door ALL of the time when put out alone, because dogs, if they they have a caring home, want to spend their time with their family. Who, let's face it, aren't usually in the backgarden.

My point being, my dog enjoys being outdoors WITH me. Not out there alone. He wouldn't excercise himself in the garden, he would lie down & wait for either someone to come out & play with him, or to be allowed back in. Whereas now I don't have a garden, he's with me all the time when I'm not at work. And we go for good long walks TOGETHER, we play ball on the green, we explore, and then we come home again to a warm house. Not a drafty kennel.

Or is Scotty's (and DAR's, I presume) view that it's because he would be in the house while I'm at work? So it's not ok to keep a defenseless animal in a warm, dry, controlled environment, but it is ok to boot him out in the garden alone for 8 or 9 hours a day, probably in the rain & cold? Because as much as I know DAR also don't like giving dogs to people who have to work for a living, so leaving the dog alone, a lot of people who don't work are struggling to make ends meet in the current financial climate, and so are less likely to want to take on the financial commitment of a dog in the first place. And last time I went to DAR, the foster carers also worked. As did the lady who showed me round the dogs available. Bad, bad people, daring to choose to earn a living.

Really?

• Advertisement

And what if no-one with a garden chooses to adopt that dog? What if it's in foster care for years? What if all that time, it could have been living the life of, with my friend without a garden? What about all the other dogs that would end up being put down because DAR couldn't take them on because they coldn't home that little chap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Listen, I'm not saying that people who keep dogs in flats are being cruel or anything like that. I'm saying that given the choice between a flat or a house with a garden, the house is more suitable. You can't argue with that.

If it were a horse and some one had a field and some one else had a field AND a stable. Then the latter would be the better option. The horse can live with both, but one is more ideal.

Any animal rescue centre must set a minimum set of requirements/standards for re-homing. A garden, as a minimum requirement, is not unfair in my opinion.

For the record my dog sleeps in the house, she tells us when she want to go out and she tells us when she wants to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Seems a bit odd alright, but I doubt the VOLUNTEERS in the DAR have anything but the animals interests at heart. Give them a break, and support a very worthwhile cause (I realise the event is over).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

ooops, just noticed this discussion. I'm not a member of DAR - just helping out a friend who volunteers there. I think the issue of fostering and what makes a good home for an animal or not is a contentious issue. There are certainly lots of grey areas.

I do know of a friend that tried valiantly to rehome a cat from several organisations and was told by three seperate places that she couldn't have one because she worked. She went out and bought a kitten instead - who is now the most loved and spoiled cat in Dublin 2!

Advertisement