Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dana: UFC to hold press conference July 31 to announce "a lot of crazy things"

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

The UFC is on the verge of some major announcements.

During a guest spot today on the ESPN 1100 Radiothon, a 24-hour fundraiser for The Caring Place cancer charity, UFC president Dana White said the organization will soon hold a major press conference, tentatively planned for July 31.

He referenced the media event when asked about reports of Affliction halting operations and becoming a UFC sponsor, the possibility of the UFC acquiring Affliction contracts, whether or not Fedor Emelianenko could be signed to the UFC, and whether a rumored deal with ESPN could come to fruition.

"We're working on some big things," White said without going into specifics. "It's going to be a lot of crazy things. ... There will be a laundry list of things addressed."

On the show, White also confirmed that ESPN executive John Skipper, widely regarded as the "No. 2 guy" at the sports-media powerhouse, was in attendance at UFC 100.

Sources have told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that discussions have taken place regarding the possibility of ESPN airing live UFC shows at some point, though nothing appears definitive and official confirmation has been impossible to get. On the radio spot, White simply referred to the increased coverage ESPN can bring to its existing events, which air on pay-per-view and Spike TV.

"He got it," White said of Skipper's UFC 100 trip. "He saw the people. He saw the energy. All the things you get from the UFC live event, he felt, and that's why we're starting to get more coverage on ESPN."

As for Emelianenko, who was slated to fight at the Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" event before its cancellation earlier today, White said he's definitely interested in the fighter.

"My job is to put on the best fights with the best fighters and give fight fans the fights they want to see," White said. "What I think ... doesn't matter. I've been trying to get this guy in the UFC. I want it because you (fans) want it."

Additionally, if Emelianenko is signed, expect him in a championship bout immediately.

"He'll fight for the title first," White said.

Finally, as for Affliction, White remained tight-lipped and wouldn't confirm today's earlier report that the UFC would again allow the company to sponsor fighters (with the organization ceasing the promotion of MMA events).

However, he dropped a big hint.

"These guys are good at making clothes," he said. "They're not in the fight business. We are."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Apparently Tito's return could be part of this announcement too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

FUK Tito. :) Sorry for the language.

I'd rather see Strikeforce get Tito. Bit of a co-incidence Tito buried the Hatchet in the week Affliction die. Good call from Tito there.

Strikeforce can't pay anywhere near in the region what Tito can get out of the UFC. I never believed that he was going anywhere but the UFC

I really don't think that this announcement will have anything to do with Fedor

It could possibly have something to do with some Affliction fighters being on the September PPV. Belfort vs Henderson perhaps. Mousasi vs Franklin? I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Interesting that if fedor came over he'd get the title shot in his first fight. When's the last time they've done that? Frank trigg maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Interesting that if fedor came over he'd get the title shot in his first fight. When's the last time they've done that? Frank trigg maybe?
    Not interesting, expected. Dana bad mouths Fedor becausehe's accepted widely as the best p4p mma fighter in the world, not having him in the ufc cheapens the HW belt for the ufc, Dana's hardly going to admit there's a better fighter than the ufc champion. If and when Fedor fights for the UFC strap Dana will be barking on about the two greatest MMA fighters in the world fighting, and if fedor wins which I believe he would Dana will say he always knew Fedor was the best

• Advertisement

Just thought its a rare enough thing. Joe rogan was talkin bout anderson silva being the top p4p fighter and he was thrown leben 1st. Think Dana would have liked to throw akiyama straight among the title contenders too but hes not well enough known in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Fedor has sufficent name recognition and accomplishments to be put in a title fight in his debut, the others dont

Point taken. Just thought hed get thrown somebody 1st. Also has fedor ever fought in a cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

He deserves a shot in his first fight no question. But wouldn't the ufc like to give him at least one fight beforehand so the casual fans see him in action first...

Again it could all go pete tong ala Mirko.

Kazooie wrote: »
    He deserves a shot in his first fight no question. But wouldn't the ufc like to give him at least one fight beforehand so the casual fans see him in action first...

They'd do a build up show before the fight showing all his wins from PRIDE and maybe Affliction too, assuming they have access to that library (couple of tapes) now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Fozzy wrote: »
    They'd do a build up show before the fight showing all his wins from PRIDE and maybe Affliction too, assuming they have access to that library (couple of tapes) now

Christ that show could be 50 hours long. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

hendo - ok, he had 2 fights back in 98 in the ufc but then about 30 in japan and went straight into a title shot and them another title shot
    Kazooie wrote: »
    He deserves a shot in his first fight no ooie question. But wouldn't the ufc like to give him at least one fight beforehand so the casual fans see him in action first...

thats exactly the reason not to have a 'warm up' imagine making this deal and not getting the pay off of a title shot bacause fedor got cut (seriously, does the man have single ply skin?)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Has this conference been held yet? Was the major announcment the ESPN deal & not getting Fedor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Lads just heard the UFC are streaming the conference around 7pm GMT, don't know where yet though:(

EDIT
    http://www.ufc.com/multicast/
    It will be on here

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

JokerD wrote: »
    Lads just heard the UFC are streaming the conference around 7pm GMT, don't know where yet though:(
    Dana just Twittered Its ufc.com/bk

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

• Vitor Belfort vs Rich Franklin in UFC 103 main event
    • Tito's back, wants to fight around November/December
    • Three year ESPN deal signed in the UK
    • Dan Henderson next in line for middleweight title shot
    • No Fedor
    • Dana:
      "We tried everything that we could possibly do to get Fedor in the UFC – we went above and beyond."
    • Dan Lauzon, Ben Rothwell, Chase Gormley, and Paul Daley all coming to the UFC
    • Dana:
      We're talking about Tito vs. Mark Coleman in (Tito's) first fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Semms like everyone is following it from this
    http://twitter.com/mmanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

I dont understand why they wont just make an exception and do the co-promotion thing - they obviously wont back down - its a principal thing now - he's the best MMA fighter ever - Brock will not be the best untill he beats Fedor - all the fans want it to happen - how can they not just give the fans what they want this one time - **** **** ****

soretoe wrote: »
    I dont understand why they wont just make an exception and do the co-promotion thing - they obviously wont back down - its a principal thing now - he's the best MMA fighter ever - Brock will not be the best untill he beats Fedor - all the fans want it to happen - how can they not just give the fans what they want this one time - **** **** ****

Why should they?! They're running an incredibly successful business, why let a rival company get involved in it? It's M-1 who are being unreasonable, when has any other fighter demanded that his fights get co-promoted?

And I think that you vastly overestimate the number of fans who are clamouring for Brock vs Fedor. Most UFC fans wouldn't have ever seen Fedor fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

why dont they send brock over to M1 for a once off like they did with chuck in pride or does this make any sense ?

• Advertisement

why dont they send brock over to M1 for a once off like they did with chuck in pride or does this make any sense ?

When Chuck was sent to PRIDE, the UFC wasn't a big or successful company. PRIDE was, and Dana viewed them as the leaders in the industry. They were planning on running US shows well before Chuck fought there. So the UFC sending Chuck to PRIDE was an act of a company looking to make some sort of mark by having their guy fight on the big stage

That situation doesn't exist at all now

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Fedor and his Posse want a percentage of UFC for him to come across. If you seen a talk on ESPN recently they pointed out that there are 4 companies who Fedor fought under who have all gone out of business so although you can't ultimately point your finger at Fedor cause he is just a fighter but there is a bad aura that follows him and his posse.

IMO UFC are right not to bow down at his feet and to his pay demands

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Fozzy wrote: »
    And I think that you vastly overestimate the number of fans who are clamouring for Brock vs Fedor. Most UFC fans wouldn't have ever seen Fedor fight

I thought Fedor v Brock was going to be the biggest mma fight ever, according to a lot of articles and board posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

lil-evil wrote: »
    Fedor and his Posse want a percentage of UFC for him to come across. If you seen a talk on ESPN recently they pointed out that there are 4 companies who Fedor fought under who have all gone out of business so although you can't ultimately point your finger at Fedor cause he is just a fighter but there is a bad aura that follows him and his posse.

IMO UFC are right not to bow down at his feet and to his pay demands

Quite true , giving in could set president and weaken their position in future negotiations with fighters.

Ive said before I probably have an opinion on Fedor going to the UFC that would be the polar opposite of most people here, but even i can see that the demands they are making (his management) are ridiculous.

As for the crazy big announcement it's the usual meh after the hype :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Over 1.5 million ppv buys for for 100 apparently.

Sucks that there is no Fedor announcement but what are the chances Liddell will want to come back for a payday against Tito?

Silva and Henderson should be a good fight and if Silva wins then maybe we'll get to see him and GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Disaster!:mad: Cant believe we are not going to get the fans fight. Fedor is still a legend but his legacy now will always be left with what could have been. People will always say well he never fought in UFC the best run MMA organisation the world. The Fedor Brock fight would also have been the biggest MMA fight the world has ever seen.So what next for him will he sign for strikeforce or Dream?For me now anyway any of his next fights will just be a letdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

.So what next for him will he sign for strikeforce or Dream?For me now anyway any of his next fights will just be a letdown.

Strikeforce is working on quite a tight budget so it's doubtful he's going there. Probably back to Japan for a New Years freakshow match. Anybody know of any sumo midgets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Is Tito v Coleman a fight anyone wants to see?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Fedor can take a hike. Can't believe he's let the whole MMA world down.

I'd better not see him walking up Patrick's street or me and the feens will hop the fúcker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Fedor said in an interview with Sherdog that he has still a 3 fight contract left with M1 but you never know what could happen after that.

As far as Tito is concerned im glad he is back he is a legend in the making and personally i can't wait for the "huntington beach bad boy" to start rattling a few cages.

And i think chuck is too over the hill for a Tito but i hope im shown to be wrong

Advertisement