Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dana: UFC to hold press conference July 31 to announce "a lot of crazy things"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

lil-evil wrote: »
    Everyone seems to forget that Fedor isn't tied to M-1 for life. He has 3 more fights to do on his contract so he could very well come to UFC at that stage. Which will prob be in about 18months if they get their as in gear and get him fighting

The problem is also that if Fedor stays with M-1 for 5 years he will own a portion of M-1. That is a good incentive for him because he will still make money once he does retire. Whereas most other fighters once they retire will have to get a 9-5 job and hope they have enough money stored away by the time they are retirement age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

cowzerp wrote: »
    Thats pretty much 2-3 more than there is outside of the UFC, he'll be fighting Butterbean soon instead of Brock..

thanks Cozerp the mental image of fedor v butterbean had me in stitches :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The problem is also that if Fedor stays with M-1 for 5 years he will own a portion of M-1. That is a good incentive for him because he will still make money once he does retire. Whereas most other fighters once they retire will have to get a 9-5 job and hope they have enough money stored away by the time they are retirement age.

lol, you think Fedor will have to get a 9-5 job if he doesn't stay with M1?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Here is a new vid of Dana White and Vadim Finkelstein discussing co-promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

soretoe wrote: »
    why dont they send brock over to M1 for a once off like they did with chuck in pride or does this make any sense ?

I thought of that but ye know what'd happen then ? Either Lesnar would beat Fedor and then Fedor would be walking around with that loss under his belt and he wouldn't be able to get a rematch or Fedor would beat Lesnar thus vacating the title and squashing the UFC's no. 1 heavyweight.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Is Tito v Coleman a fight anyone wants to see?

I don't. Has Tito still got it ?
    jayteecork wrote: »
    He has a point, what on earth else does Fedot want to fight in the Octagon.

He's let every MMA fan on the planet down by not accepting this (amazing) new deal Dana offered.

Take a look into some of the other threads. It appears that Fedor's camp have a heavy hand in his dealings.
    cowzerp wrote: »
    Thats pretty much 2-3 more than there is outside of the UFC, he'll be fighting Butterbean soon instead of Brock..

:D
    Butterbean, Jake Roberts! What next ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Ray Mercer next and then Floyd Mayweather

lol, you think Fedor will have to get a 9-5 job if he doesn't stay with M1?

What part of most other fighters didn't you understand? Obviously guys like Fedor, Randy, Chuck and Tito are set once they retire. I was talking about the other 99% of the MMA fighter population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What part of most other fighters didn't you understand? Obviously guys like Fedor, Randy, Chuck and Tito are set once they retire. I was talking about the other 99% of the MMA fighter population.

Yeah had look on wikipedia for the last few ufc events, lists the purses of all the fighers. Makes for some shocking reading, I know some guys who earned a lot less than you would expect make it up in sponsership etc but still in the scheme of being set for life some of these guys better be managing their money wisely.

calex71 wrote: »
    Yeah had look on wikipedia for the last few ufc events, lists the purses of all the fighers. Makes for some shocking reading, I know some guys who earned a lot less than you would expect make it up in sponsership etc but still in the scheme of being set for life some of these guys better be managing their money wisely.

Plus those stats don't take into account Taxes and training costs. Alot of their Sponsorship money goes towards training fees which can cost thousands [Most of their training maybe private one-to-one training which can really be expensive if they are with a top notch trainer] or they join a well known camp and can train for free but gives a certain % of their purse to the gym [I've heard 10% thrown around a few times] So the idea that these guys that made it to the UFC are rolling in dough is a complete fallacy.

• Advertisement

WOW, Paolo Thiago only got $8K and he was part of the main card.

Frank Mir also got a paltry $45K compared to Lesnar's 400K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

WOW, Paolo Thiago only got $8K and he was part of the main card.

Its a known fact that the UFC pay terrible... undercard fighters can get as little as $500. They get no insurance... health care... or support pre/post the fights.

Its the complete opposite in Japan - the fights automatically get health care and insurance if anything goes bad... oh... and they get paid better!

And people wonder why Fedor fights in Japan!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Didn't Frank Mir get a % of PPV buys also?

Its a known fact that the UFC pay terrible... undercard fighters can get as little as $500. They get no insurance... health care... or support pre/post the fights.

Its the complete opposite in Japan - the fights automatically get health care and insurance if anything goes bad... oh... and they get paid better!

And people wonder why Fedor fights in Japan!?!

Just watched Pride Total Elimination 2003.

Absolutely amazing.

Liddell, Cro Cop, Fedor, Rampage, Wanderlai, all at their peak.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_Total_Elimination_2003

Don't think we'll ever see MMA like that again.

ps: Dana White was in the commentary box!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Didn't Frank Mir get a % of PPV buys also?

Frank Mir easily made over a million from that fight through bonuses. He signed that contract when he was losing to guys, well before he got back into title contention. Thiago signed his as a prelim fighter, of course that changed when he beat Koscheck and you can be sure that he got his fair share of bonuses too

Fozzy wrote: »
    Frank Mir easily made over a million from that fight through bonuses. He signed that contract when he was losing to guys, well before he got back into title contention. Thiago signed his as a prelim fighter, of course that changed when he beat Koscheck and you can be sure that he got his fair share of bonuses too

Link?

Fozzy wrote: »

I want to believe that these guys get undisclosed, behind closed doors secret bonuses as well, but I would not be surprised if that is pure fallasy and wishful thinking on our parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

... undercard fighters can get as little as $500.

Link? I've seen the payouts for a good few ufcs and the lowest I remember was about 2-3k

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Link?
    Well, I know that Randy got a PPPV cut. This should be easy to find as it was around the same time as the dispute. PPV cuts def. happen in the UFC. But did Mir??

Maybe Frank just has a ****e contract that he is stuck to for a few fights.
    His last few fight payouts were 26k, 26k (up to 56k with win bonus), 30k, 36k, 40k, 45k, 45k

however, these were all non-headline, non main event, sometimes not even on the main card. So I find it hard to believe that he didn't either have

a. A cut of the PPV sales, or
    b. A huge potential win bonus. (Lesnar didn't have one, he had a flat payout regardless)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I want to believe that these guys get undisclosed, behind closed doors secret bonuses as well, but I would not be surprised if that is pure fallasy and wishful thinking on our parts.
    Id say it happens the whole time.Didnt I read somewhere about after Babalu/Liddell 2, the Fertittas were seen on video giving Babalu an envelope he seemed very appreciative of.

Actually I think I read that on wiki but the video seems very familiar in my head :confused:

• Advertisement

Id say it happens the whole time.Didnt I read somewhere about after Babalu/Liddell 2, the Fertittas were seen on video giving Babalu an envelope he seemed very appreciative of.

Actually I think I read that on wiki but the video seems very familiar in my head :confused:

I think that was a Fight of The Night bonus IIRC. I doubt they would want to be caught on camera giving any other secret bonuses out. The IRS will be on everybody's head in a heartbeat.

Honestly none of us knows how true these secret payoffs are. Maybe they're true, Maybe they're not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Honestly none of us knows how true these secret payoffs are. Maybe they're true, Maybe they're not.

There is certainly mounts of anecdotical evidence. Most of Fedor's pay is from secret (really just undisclosed to the commission) payoffs.

rovert wrote: »
    There is certainly mounts of anecdotical evidence. Most of Fedor's pay is from secret (really just undisclosed to the commission) payoffs.

Anecdotical but nothing 100% certain.

Anecdotical but nothing 100% certain.

Pay Per Views bonues are written into a number of fighters contracts. Randy went public on how much he earned from it.

rovert wrote: »
    Pay Per Views bonues are written into a number of fighters contracts. Randy went public on how much he earned from it.

They are also reported to the NSAC and only the top fighters get that.

They are also reported to the NSAC

They dont have to be. Only base salarys need to be.

Link? I've seen the payouts for a good few ufcs and the lowest I remember was about 2-3k

Bruce Lee and Me - the book.

Anyway.... $2-3k for 8-12 weeks of solid training (for a fight) is not a lot for a fight considering the PPV revenues for the UFC.

Even if a guy does 4 fights in a year (starting off) in the UFC - you are saying that *MAX* he earns is about $12k-$20k... and don't forget that does not cover any medical bills should he get broken up / travel / suppliments / sparring partners / gym.

If you are at the top of the food chain - there is money... but not for the majority of fighters that try it and don't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Anyway.... $2-3k for 8-12 weeks of solid training (for a fight) is not a lot for a fight considering the PPV revenues for the UFC.

Even if a guy does 4 fights in a year (starting off) in the UFC - you are saying that *MAX* he earns is about $12k-$20k... and don't forget that does not cover any medical bills should he get broken up / travel / suppliments / sparring partners / gym.

If you are at the top of the food chain - there is money... but not for the majority of fighters that try it and don't cut it.

Yeah I totally agree. I was just saying that I think that's the minimum (these days) in the UFC. It's still a relative pittance for the so called pinnacle of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Does anyone seriously think that Mir wouldn't kick up the biggest fuss ever if he only made $45,000 for his part in achieving the biggest non-boxing PPV of all time?! He absolutely got paid plenty in bonuses on top of that

Advertisement