Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav co-ordinates dont match

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys/gals,

Wanted to pick your brains if I may.

When I give co-ordinates from my Garmin Nuvi it sends people to somewhere esle. Same thing happened to me yesterday where I was given details by a groom for a wedding I was covering and the location was no-where I needed to be. I thought co-ordinates were co-ordinates or am I being a bit too simple here?? ;):D

Why is this and what can I do to ensure we are all on the same page (or location)?? :o

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are they in the correct format?

Degree Minutes Seconds vs Decimal Degrees for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

^^^^ what he said and also check in the settings that all GPS units use the same datum (WGS84)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say you are using different formats . Se the formats the same on both devices & on google earth & then compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

I've put some info about google maps and coordinate formats on my website

http://www.eirnet.ie/docs/regions.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Lat Long is lethal for those who do not understand it. There are 3 different ways of expressing the same position with Lat/long and Google and SatNav's support all 3 - so what you are using may not be what the other person is. Furthermore all the decimal places are necessary and some people dump some of the decimals, thereby losing 100's of meters.

This and the fact that Irish Addresses are for sorting mail not for Navigating to are the reasons that PON Codes were developed - already tested on Garmin devices and for full release shortly - see beta test site at www.irishpostcodes.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Thanks for coming back everyone. No idea why it didn't work as the groom has left the country and I don't have access to his sat nav to compare settings.

Thanks again

Advertisement