Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotton Strawberries

Options
  • 25-07-2009 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

I planted 6 strawberry plants in two hanging baskets! There's plenty of fruit on all 6 plants, but just as the fruit turns ripe it goes rotton! they are gettin plenty of water, watering the roots!

What am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

The fruit (strawberries) are getting hit by big rain drops? - berries of any kind do not like heavy rain drops falling on them.

A heavy drop of rain would be like a bullet form a gun to a berry.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

When you say rotten do you mean soft. As, if a berry is left in the sun or heat after it is ready to be picked it will go bad(soft).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭ZappaFrank

i live in lreland, sounds like rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ZappaFrank wrote: »
    i live in lreland, sounds like rain!

My dad grows some strawberries in his garden. When he sees some fruit appearing he covers them with jam pots.

He reckons that it will help them to grow bigger, protect them from birds picking at them and rain hitting off the ripe berries.

Advertisement