Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a good GPU - Part II

Options
  • 25-07-2009 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

My fanless 4850 Gigabyte bit the dust last night after only about 4 months of usage.

I'm not a big gamer, but the 4850 was perfect for playing the ocassional game of BF2.

The other kicker is that the PCIx16 slot is the uppermost slot in my PC, so I can't install a card that takes up two slot spaces in the case. I got away with this by installing the 4850 in the neighbouring PCIx4 slot and performance was exceptional when running BF2 at 1600 X 1200 with all the quality settings set to maximum.

Can anyone recommend me a quiet/silent graphics card with specs at least equal to a 4850? At the moment I'm thinking of getting another 4850, but with a Zalman fan/cooling system pre-installed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You can get an Pci-e extender cable, i'd not like myself to be using a x4 slot with a modern gpu when You got a x16 slot, this is a right angled one , but its just an example of whats available

RA-1UE16XR.png

What resolution do You game at, what other games and what budget? There's great value for money at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What resolution do You game at, what other games and what budget? There's great value for money at the moment
    Normally at the native resolution of my LCD - 1650 X 1200.

That extender looks interesting, but I don't think I'd be prepared to put holes in my motherboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Normally at the native resolution of my LCD - 1650 X 1200.

That extender looks interesting, but I don't think I'd be prepared to put holes in my motherboard!

:eek:

I don't think You fully understand, it slots into Your existing pic-e x16 slot and the ribbon gives You flexibility to have your gpu in some other position in the case, no need for boring holes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :eek:

I don't think You fully understand, it slots into Your existing pic-e x16 slot and the ribbon gives You flexibility to have your gpu in some other position in the case, no need for boring holes
    OK...but how would you position the card? All the holes in the back of the case are aligned to existing PCI and PCIe slots.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless you mod the case (Dremel Time! :D) that extender will only work in cases larger than your mobo (i.e. m/ITX mobo - mATX case, mATX mobo - ATX case, ATX mobo - EATX case) or cases with an upside-down side slot (so the cooler points inwards) as it has a PCB module at the business end! Two bits of PCB can't occupy the same space at the same time! :P

Does your mobo support PCIe2.0? If so a modern PCIe2.0 card can be put in the PCIex4 slot with minimal bandwidth penalties (PCIe2.0x4 = PCIe1.0x8). Most things short of a HD4890 should work fine (the HD4890 would still be faster, just by a smaller amount than the norm).

But in my opinion I think you should take that HD4850 back to Gigabyte and ram it where the sun don't shine. You have a guarantee and I'm pretty sure its longer than 90 days. Make those feckers honor it!

Moral of the story: "Fanless" is an oxymoron, 'cuz you need plenty of directed airflow (from a fan!) to make it work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement